• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 GalaxyCollide

GalaxyCollide

Vostok 1

• Loc: NY, Long island

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Believe or not, I am 14 too. Young astronomer here :D
I am just happy to get opportunities to buy expensive scopes like Cave Astrola, Unitrons, or even modern telescopes. I am really happy to meet young astronomers like you.

Really nice restoring, It looks fantastic.

Andrew

#27 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi Andrew, glad to know I'm not the only young guy here on CN. So your looking for a Cave huh? Well.. Aren't we all? Haha they're great scopes and my grandpa was good friends with thomas cave back in the 50s and 60s, great guy. Good luck hunting for your cave, hope you've got deep pockets :D

#28 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

WOOOW, I'm glad I was sitting down when I came across your post. You have done a fantastic job with that scope. A 6" f/8 is a very capable instrument that can last you a lifetime, and the motor driven GEM is super for tracking planets and other high magnification targets. ENJOY!

Ed D

#29 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Very very nice job my friend. It is fun to tackle a difficult job and to finish it with the results you have. You should be proud. Only think left to say is . . . so what will be your next scope??? :question:

#30 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Excellent!! job on the RV-6 :waytogo: :bow:

#31 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Very nice. It was my first serious scope when I was about your age. I had so much fun with that scope. Still have the mirrors, tube got badly damaged in our barn and was replaced with aluminum. Gave the mount to a friend that was building a scope.
Superbly capable instrument. Nice job

#32 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Excellent!

#33 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Excellent posts showing us your restoration. Looks great and as others have said the RV6 has tremendous viewing capabilities. Congratulations on a worthy project.
Bill

#34 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

You've done an exceptional job restoring that RV-6, Justin; with that kind of attitude and "can-do" spirit you'll go far in life! One word of advice: no matter what the future brings, hold on to that scope... even if in days to come you have to store it away for a time due to other commitments, or because you feel you'll never be interested in it again. This instrument, and your restoration of it, is a waypoint in your young life; when you are older, it will provide you with many opportunities for happy reflections (no pun intended).

I wish you many pleasant hours at the eyepiece of your new-yet-old instrument, Justin, and a lifetime full of clear, starry nights!

Fred

P.S. Folks, the next time someone on CN starts to bemoan a perceived lack of young folks who are seriously interested in amateur astronomy, I intend to provide them with a friendly link to this thread. :cool:

#35 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

What Fred said!

#36 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

very fine job, way too go. I feel old now lol. I was born in 71 :)

#37 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'll echo what Fred says. My first scope was a new C8 when I was 13. It was new so I didn't have to do the (beautiful) work you've done. But that c8 has now been with me for 30 years and travelled the country. There is simply nothing like your first scope. Congratulations and well done.

#38 yonkrz

yonkrz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Very nice job.

#39 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

no plans of ever gettin' rid of this scope, no way!

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

And that clean looking focuser.. Those aren't the original focuser knobs, but quite frankly, they're easier to grip and get a finer focus

:goodjob:

Justin:

You have done a wonderful job with the RV-6. This is the story behind those focuser knobs:

The original focuser shaft was badly bent. A machinist friend drilled out the old shaft, saving the gear so it could be reused. He machined a new shaft along with the knobs. The shaft and the knobs are stainless steel. The gear was then brazed to the shaft, I believe with silver.

One Christmas he wanted to give his wife a telescope ...

These beautiful old scopes, we are not owners, we are caretakers.

Jon

Posted Image

#41 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Absolutely wonderful work Justin. Congratulations on a job very well done. You will get many years of enjoyment out of that scope. As I always say, "lovely to look through, lovely to look at."

#42 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Justin,
I did something very similar at your age. Many years on, I'll never forget the satisfaction and the sense of adventure I had from rebuilding an old scope and the views I was rewarded by. You've got yourself a life experience right there. You're way ahead of your years. Well done mate.

#43 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Well-done, young man!

When I was your age (1972), I was making my first molded fiberglass tube in my dad's garage. 10" diameter, for an 8" f/7 Newtonian. I checked-out Neil E. Howard's "Standard Handbook" from the public library and followed his method. Worked pretty well!

That was my first experience with composites. Of course, I reasoned while mixing my resin, ignoring Howard's advice, "if ten drops of catalyst is good, half the bottle would be even better!"

Good thing the resin bucket was near the open garage door and I could kick it out in the alley before the flames got too bad. Lesson learned!

:foreheadslap:

#44 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Nice job, dude. I think it's great when the next generation starts to enter the hobby.

A couple of questions - how are the coatings? Does the drive work? I have an old clutch assy and worm gear - they are yours if needed. If you need help with that, let me know.

I used to build RV-6's back at the plant in the late 70's. Small world, huh?

If the scope is losing collimation, it's probably the primary moving in it's cell.

#45 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Now the bad news, every scope you look at buying is going to be a let down optically..lol
Great job.. welcome here...

#46 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Fabulous restoration, Justin! You would love to read the thread about how Datapanic restored the trashed, rusted remains of a Cave found in a field while horseback riding. Soon enough, you'll be working such magic! It's among the longest threads on Cloudy Nights, but guaranteed a real thriller page-turner!

Me? I'm a mere wannabe, currently with limited skills, but always learning, so I'm in awe of your prowess. When I bought a salt-encrusted C8, it proved to be beyond my ability, so I sent it to Larry Beach (Orion61 in the post above) to refurbish. It's sitting in the post office now, waiting for me to rescue it and see his handywork!

#47 HoundDog

HoundDog

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Outstanding job and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors!
Well done!

#48 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Joe,
I had "limited skills" as well before I started, it just took a little time to think out each step, and the Internet is a big help! Always fun to start a new project and the finished product is great, especially when you take pictures the whole way

#49 GalaxyCollide

GalaxyCollide

Vostok 1

• Loc: NY, Long island

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

So, what's your next project :question:
:) :) :)

#50 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I had to get rid of a lot of stuff just to have space for the scope, so, probably next, find some more space. I had thought about doing a 10 inch reflector, f-4.5 +. That would be great. There's a couple of old starfinders in the classIfieds right now, that's what I want, the GEM version. But that's for later on, I want to enjoy the RV-6 :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics