It's Here! My 2nd decent EP.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

The Postman dropped a weighty package from High Point Scientific into our box today: pretty fast delivery across the U.S. Opened it up, and there was a Baader Hyperion 17mm, snug in its own box, and packed in a plastic bag with silica gel pack, inside a drawstring soft faux leather (at least I think it's faux!) pouch. It's big! At least to someone just beginning to get past stock eyepieces and inexpensive ones from decades ago. Also included was a third EP cover and a detached soft rubbery eye guard.

The Hyperion is my second decent EP, after an 11mm ES 82*. Made this choice after reading a lot of posts here and in the Eyepiece forum regarding quality, cost, AFOV, and eye relief. Although the 11mm ES is a fine one, I wear glasses. With some significant astigmatism leaving them on makes sense when possible, but the ER of the 11mm is just a bit too little for me to enjoy the full wide view. The Hyperion has 20mm ER, although a narrower but still decent 68* AFOV. I'm hoping this will be a comfortable and often used eyepiece. If so, I might consider buying the 13mm version next time. Primary scope is C8.

The advice here at CN has really helped a lot.

Jon

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

The Baader Hyperion is my most used eyepiece. Excellent background though I have the 8mm one. I can imagine the 17mm would be wonderful. Only grouse I had was with the black pouch which seemed to wear off after a few months so now I use a cloth with lace to keep this EP. Hope you have a good solid diagonal to hold this in place as the stock diagonal that comes with the SCT is weak.

#3 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

Oooh! Good point, I hadn't considered that. What diagonal do you use with yours? What do you recommend?

Jon

#4 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

I have two. One is a huge solid 2"-1.25" Celestron and the other, Astro Tech 1.25" Diagonal which is pretty well made and sturdy.

#5 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Congratulations Jon. I bought a 5mm used and like it. A bit large though.. If I end up,with another SCT I will likely get the denk Power switch
Pricey, but..... Its a whole bunch of upgrades in one :grin:

#6 Stargaz18

Stargaz18

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wichita Falls, TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Post deleted by Stargaz18

#7 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Patrick, I'll PM you - thanks.

Jon

#8 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

PS I am REALLY interested in buying your 13, if that wasn't clear from my other note describing that I haven't used mine yet. I have Paypal.

Jon

#9 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

I love my Baader Hyperions. They have a comfortably wide view with the eye relief I need to see the whole view with my glasses on.

#10 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

congrats Jon,

I really like my Hyperion EPs, the eye relief is very good. I wear glasses too, but I really don't need to use them looking through the EP, but I did try my glasses and it's fine.

Another cool thing about the Hyperion EPs is you can pick up the fine tune rings. It's another way to get more EPs out of your current Hyperions. You do lose a little eye relief from the rings, but on a budget these rings are great.

Here is a good link to check out on the Hyperion EPs of all the goodies that can be done, also has a chart with the rings.
http://www.baader-pl...scription_e.pdf

#11 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks Jeff, very useful PDF, especially since it doesn't come enclosed with the EP box. The rings sound very useful, but I can see myself fumbling around in the dark or getting dust on the lenses. Not a problem?

TexasRed, glad to hear about performance with glasses. That was my hope. I wish the Zoom model had longer eye relief.

Jon

#12 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I have the rings and the 8, 17, 21mm eye pieces. I can make 14 different focal lengths with this setup, pretty evenly spaced from ~4mm to ~30mm. Pretty flexible!

It takes some manual dexterity to manage it, but I have a small 1.25"/2" eyepiece rack on my scope mount and don't find myself fumbling. I think if you aren't dropping them or leaving them disassembled with double the lens surfaces exposed for a long time, then there isn't significantly more opportunity for dust than what you deal with on any EP. Although I have read about the opportunity for black paint flaking off the threads over time and causing "dust" issues, I've yet to experience it myself. If this became an issue, I imagine one could clean this junk off with a blower and a lens pen.

If you liked Legos or Erector, I think you'd not mind this too much ;-)

#13 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Jeff, very useful PDF, especially since it doesn't come enclosed with the EP box. The rings sound very useful, but I can see myself fumbling around in the dark or getting dust on the lenses. Not a problem?

Jon

I have a little clip-on red LED light, that I attach to my eyepiece case. I do all my changing from there, works great gives me enough light to see what I'm doing. I just got a new Lumicon OIII filter I haven't fingered it up yet, I just take my time no rushing.

#14 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ok then! Now I'll have two Baader Hyperions.

Jeff,I push on a red led headlamp for similar activity. Either way, good hands-free method. And Jarrod says not too much hassle.

I think my most pressing concern next will be seeing how the stock NexStar 8SE diagonal holds the BH. No trouble with my ES11, but that's smaller.

Jon

#15 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Cool Jon :)

congrats on the EP's

On your stock diagonal, just make sure everything is snugged down good. The stock one almost came off on mine from the visual back. I'm using a Televue 1.25 diagonal, its a little better but I'm always making sure everything is snugged.

#16 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ok then! Now I'll have two Baader Hyperions.

It just occurred to me that if you have the 17mm and are considering the rings, you may want to pass on the 13mm. There is significant overlap between the two. As seen on page 3 here , there is only one focal length (8.1mm) that the 13 can make which the 17 does not. I would recommend getting the 8mm or 21mm instead. The 8mm EP has only one overlap with the 17mm EP - they both produce 21.8mm in 2" mode without the lower lens group installed. The 21mm EP has two near-overlaps, producing 17.6mm with the 14mm FTR installed, and the native 21mm focal length which is close to the 21.8mm 2" mode on the 17mm EP. But the 21mm is pretty cool because removing the barlow group gives you a 32mm 2" EP. I've only briefly used mine in this configuration so haven't looked critically, but it gave nice wide-angle view of the full moon!

I'd get the rings now and start enjoying the 13.1mm, 10.8mm, and 9.2mm modes that your 17mm can make. Then when you add the 8mm or 21mm EP you'll be set!

#17 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Jarrod, that's exactly the next EP I was strongly considering! However, I already bought the 13 mm. The versatility of this line of eyepieces is amazing. The 21 mm sounds like the other highly favored edition along with the 17 and 13.

OTOH, I understand that the 24mm isn't well thought of, and a number of people here say it is the weakest of all. Is this only because it can't be modified with the tuning rings or be as versatile as the rest? Or do you guys find it to be not as good for observing as the other Hyperions are?

Jon

#18 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have the 5, 8, 13, and 21mm Hyperions that I use in my 12 inch f/5 dob and 4 inch f/10 refractor. They obviously are not equal to the Pentax XW's or TV Nagler or Delos, but for the price, I think they are a pretty darn decent quality eyepiece.

Gary

#19 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Jon - the 13mm will give you the full 20mm of eye relief at 13mm focal length, and should give you slightly more at the shorter ones as well (compared to converting the 17mm to those). And of course you'll have more focal lengths at your fingertips without needing to re-configure your 17. So it's definitely not money wasted by any means. Let us know how the 13mm works for you when it arrives.

#20 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Will do, thanks Jarrod. It's due Friday, the forecast is for sun Saturday. Of course the moon will be near full...

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics