Photo

another preview - motion in the ocean...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

remember 'rock lobster? ;)

Here is this years start - last year had issues with gradient in the OIII and SII that seemed insurmountable so this year is a complete do over with 5nm Ha and 3nm SII and OIII. 20 minute subs and just a couple of each. As Robert commented we are cloudlocked lately. SBIG8300M, Mach1, Tak FSQ85-EDX, miniguider... MaxImDL and CS5 with a bit of PSP at the end.

It's clipped like crazy and still noisy, but as I said it's just a start. anyone else going for this area?

Attached Files

#2 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

This looks like it's going to become awsome. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Wouter.

#3 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Jim - That is a very nice FOV and I love the colors. I haven't gotten to that part of the sky yet but it's on my agenda. Not many imaging opportunities lately but we are getting a modicum of rain finally.

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

For those wondering how much actual resolution is there in an 85mm scope with an 8300M chipped CCD camera - here you go, and this too slightly reduced to fit here.

I'm posting this as I think it's so difficult for someone to understand seeing the way we do the postings here on the web. So I hope if you compare the two images you start to get a realistic idea of what we 'on the other end' are talking about when we discuss aperture and resolution and all that goes with it.

Attached Files

#5 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Can't wait to see the end result. That should be a pretty cool image.

#6 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Love that widefield! :waytogo:

#7 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

thanks! - If I have to wait much longer I'm going to re-start the 'do-over' and rotate the camera 90*. I was hoping to do both ways as there is an interesting nebula lurking beneath(bottom center you can see the top) beneath along with M52(lower right)... ? this is a very object rich area :)

#8 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

The close crop of the bubble nebula was very interesting to me. I compared it to what I got with my C8. While I easily pulled in more, I'm impressed with how much the 85mm scope managed to pull in.

#9 TimN

TimN

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Jim, I'm looking forward to watching this. Its a new area for me.

#10 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I started once on this area with the Hyperstar, but it was prior to having my wedge and autoguider on the rig. But, even with short 30 second subs I was able to see there were hints of lots of interesting deep objects in that field. It's not on my to-do list again for a while, maybe next season, so I'll just sit back and enjoy watching you tackle this. Go get 'em!

#11 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

thanks for the interest and encouragement!

Madratter - yes I was surprised too when I started out doing it. Getting large scale features and detail pretty easy (in a comparative sense to the larger and a bit slower), but getting fine detail not so easy - so it's in the tradeoff game. More sub exposures does help there and in that this may not be the best example. I think it's this in many ways difficult to get across, I know it didn't make as much sense to me before as it did after. What was the clincher is the 'hanging in space' and area around objects - so almost more about context in ways. Both would be great but I can't afford that gear! ;)

#12 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Well, time for an update.

I decided to turn the camera 90* and uh-oh!! the Tak rotator on the focuser a source of 'big issues!', a shame for something they charge so much for! yikes! I actually am using duct tape to hold it still. Also identified some movement in the focuser tube I need to get adjusted out and will be contacting TNR (Tak USA) about that.

changing from landscape to portrait I'm unsure if it bought me as much as I'd hoped (this area begs for the focal reducer) but in another night or two I should have enough sub exposures to post something here. I'm getting about 18 subs a night and reduced the exposure time to 15 minutes/sub so I need more of them.

#13 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Geeze Jim - I expected more/better from Tak :4

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Good luck, I've forgotten what stars look like! Clouds, I've got those down pat now!

#15 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Terry, ;) I know! -me too!

Warren - I know that tune well!

Weather here is like somebody is fooling around with the thermostat, but not as bad as many others I read. The actual dark for imaging pretty short compared to winter - but I get to wear shorts!

#16 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

WOW. Two words I never ever expected to read in the same post - "Tak" and "duct tape".

That has to be the best oxymoron ever!
:lol:

#17 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well, all I need now is a new set of flats as I changed the CCD orientation and I should be able to post something. 15 minute subs at f/5.3 I can see some evidence of the SII and OIII signal but it's not as strong as with 20 minutes. The Ha signal appears fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics