Stellarium on a Windows 8 Tablet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

I’ve had my Acer Iconia W510 with keyboard dock for a few days now. 64GB with additional 64GB microSD card.

Firstly, I don’t get all the complaints that I’ve read about Win 8. I don’t find it hard to use at all…

It does everything my old netbook could do. Except I can run it for up to 18 hours (with it on the dock) rather than the four I got on the netbook! Loaded Windows Office for Excel, Word etc… The tablet itself can get 8-9 hours.

While Stellarium isn’t specifically set up for touch I can do almost everything possible. The only hitch I’ve found is I can’t zoom unless I activate the onscreen keyboard. I can use the Ctrl + up/down arrow keys and zoom away.

Choosing and changing Oculars is a bit of a pain because the buttons are so small, but it is doable. I’ve got a stylus on order, so that should help.

Attached Files

#2 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Stellarium on my Windows 8 64-bit laptop works just fine. It is one application that worked well when first installed and didn't need tons of tweaking.

#3 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

This is a list of Windows 8 gestures. Could you please check if Stellarium recognizes the "zoom" gesture (moving two fingers appart/toward each other)? According to that page, it's analogous to using the scroll wheel of a mouse.

#4 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

No, it'll only pan (touch and drag) or select (tap or double tap).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics