• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flower Mound, TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've been looking through the (massive) "Show off your NexStar" and "AP Images Taken with Original NexStar" threads trying to get some inspiration and ideas. I'm about 6 months into this hobby, so I'm a little green and unrefined in most areas.

To preface, here is my current setup and accessories:

OTA: NexStar 8SE
Mount: Alt/Az single fork

Eyepieces:
-24mm TeleVue Panoptic
-9mm Celestron X-Cel
-25 mm Celestron Plossl

Barlow:
-Celestron Barlow/T-Adapter

Other:
-6.3 focal reducer
-Dew shield
-Zhumell UHC filter
-The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (amazing book for beginners)

Camera setup:
-Stock Cannon T3i
-T-Ring/adapter
-Remote shutter button

-----------

My first question is this: Will an autoguider work with an alt/az mount to the point it is worth it? I've seen a couple of threads with mixed reviews, but would like to open this up for discussion here. I've had some moderate success with taking several short 15-20 second exposures, but I'd like to get some longer without having to go to a new mount (maybe for my next telescope).

My second question is around both viewing and AP. I was toying with trying eyepiece projection, but then I've started looking at the TeleVue Powermates and have been intrigued. I'd like to get higher magnification on planets and lunar features... thoughts on the Powermate vs. a Barlow, and which Powermate model (i.e. 2.5X, 4X, 5X)? And if I go the Powermate route, does it require a different t-ring?

Diagonals: Does upgrading from the stock diagonal provide any upside?

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I would like to point you away from deep sky imaging. That can be very expensive in both time and equipment. Also, from my experience eyepiece projection is a bad idea.

On the other hand, planetary imaging is now easier than ever. I have been having lots of fun with my NexImage 5 camera.

https://www.astronom...r-system-ima...

It has really small pixels so you won't need any Barlow. Your telescope can take awesome pictures of the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars when it comes around next year. To see what is possible check out the

Solar System Imaging & Processing Forum
http://www.cloudynig...0/Board/Imaging

When you're over there you will notice that the best images are taken with a more expensive camera.

http://www.zwoptical...SI120/index.asp

So you have two very nice cameras to choose from.

#3 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Deep sky photography works very well with ALT-AZ mounts assuming you know the limitations. The 8SE is a great scope as well. The stuff is expensive, but that's the users business...it's their money. Don't let anyone discourage you from this interest if you think it would be fun. I enjoy video myself which is more real time and gratifying to me in the end...also less expensive. Here is a recent video frame using my NexStar 6SE.

Attached Files

#4 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flower Mound, TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks - yeah, I've learned the limits are typically less than 30 seconds of exposure time (tossing about half the subs in the end). I'm wondering if an autoguider would expand those limits to maybe a minute or two.

#5 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

As Warm Weather Guy has said, Planetary photography can be a lot of fun. :grin: And the Neximage 5 is a really nice camera for the price.

Posted Image

#6 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks - yeah, I've learned the limits are typically less than 30 seconds of exposure time (tossing about half the subs in the end). I'm wondering if an autoguider would expand those limits to maybe a minute or two.

No. I do not think it would. I have toyed with the idea myself, but I really think that past 45 seconds or so you are stuck with field rotation. The autoguider cannot make the telescope track differently...it is still alt-az...just more accurate.

#7 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yes, I've heard that 30 sec to 1 min is the limit..... the best solution is to take a bunch of short exposures and stack them. Use a very sensitive mono camera. I live in a very light polluted area, or else I would try this myself. Maybe I can anyway? I have a Meade DSI II Pro, which is supposed to the most sensitive of all the DSI cameras, and the Astronomik CLS CCD light pollution filter made for CCD cameras

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics