• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

just ordered the orange tube 8" se scope from high point. sure hope im happy with it and no issues. sure like the 6" but if this one turns out to be a good one I will probably sell the 6. thanks, donnie

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Congrats on the upgrade! You'll love it! :waytogo:

-Dan

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

got my 8" se scope from high point today. it was very well packaged. everything looked great and no damage. the scope looks beautiful. sure like the way the front dust cover gos on, it twists on and locks in place. I took it out for a quick look letting cool down first the pointed to Saturn It looked amazing!! the only thing that I noticed was the mount was just a tad bit too light for the 8" a lot more vibration then with the 6". ill probably wind up using it on my cg5 mount. im happy with it and this all that counts. thanks, Donnie.

#4 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

get the celestron vibration pads :)

One thing that makes me nervous about the SE mount, what are the chances that the clamps loosen a little and the scope falls off the mount? I find myself retightening it after each night's viewing session lol.

There was a certain amount of security with the older, 8i/8i se mount, since the OTA could not be removed there was no chance of it falling off.

#5 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Hi Donnie,

You can always stabilise your tripod assembly a little more by lowering its legs to a level still comfortable to your viewing and suspending weight from its central spreader. Such additional weight could be effected for example, via a power pack, sand bag, clinker building block etc. (I've even known some who have filled the legs with sand and, in one case with concrete...... a bit too drastic, I'm thinking) ! :lol:

I understand anti-vibration pads can be very effective on concrete and wooden decking surfaces but less so if you intend to set up your 'scope on a grassed lawn or soft earth.

Best regards,
Tel

Just another thought, Donnie, you could additionally make use of a motorised focuser, in which case, you'll have no need to make manual contact with your 'scope and thus cause any significant vibration when focusing. :idea:

#6 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

You will love having an 8" OTA. I love my 8SE. Just wish the clouds would go away, but that is life in South Carolina during the summer.

Tel's advise about an electric focuser is right on.

I built my own. :D

Here is the servo
Posted Image

Here is the controller.

Posted Image

#7 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

And I bought one, used, a motor focuser that is. :grin: It added greatly to my viewing enjoyment with the 8se. As Tel says, no touch, no vibrations.

Regards. Peter.

Attached Files

#8 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi Donnie:

Congrats on the 8SE! I have to agree with the others ... try some of the suggestions offered before deciding to abandon the SE mount in favor of the CG-5.

It is certainly true that the CG-5 is substantially more stable than the SE. But the SE mount offers a couple of very important factor over the CG-5 - portability and ease of setup. You'll find you'll use the scope more if it's easy to get it outside and start viewing quickly. The CG-5 is heavy, requires multiple trips including the OTA, needs to be polar aligned, and can put the OTA in some awkward positions for viewing.

By contrast, the 8SE can be left fully assemble on the tripod and taken outside as a whole. Set it on the ground, do a quick alignment, and you're ready to go. There's a lot to be said for that convenience!

-Dan

#9 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

thanks guys for all the suggestions, right now the moon is in its full stage and that's a no no for deep sky. I will work on the mount and see who happens. for the ease of setup the se mount is what I would like to use so I will give it my best shot. thanks again, donnie

#10 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

how much does a motor focuser cost? it looks like a great accessory to have! does anyone else have concerns about the dovetail clamps on the OTA- is there any chance that the OTA could fall off the mount or is it very secure, even after weeks of slewing?

#11 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

A JMI Focuser for the 8SE costs $179. JMI Focuser for 8SE at Astronomics

To me, that was expensive. So I built my own. But if you aren't handy soldering, then the JMI focuser would be my first choice.

I would say that the OTA to mount is very secure. I have owned my 8SE since Feb and I have never had a fear of it coming off the mount. I just make sure the knob is tight when I mount the OTA.

#12 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thanks. Is it okay to leave the OTA on the mount at all times? I like to keep it mounted even when indoors and then just carry it outside with me all in one piece. Should I periodically make sure it is tight (like once a week or so or more or less than that?)

#13 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

I keep mine on the mount all the time. I just make sure to check the knob before I move the mount/OTA.

#14 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi Ekyprotic,
Just make sure that the dovetail is fully seated into the jaws of the clamp and as Ben advises, check the knob each time before moving and it should be fine. I used my 8se fully assembled for over two years with no problems.

Regards. Peter.

#15 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

The mount's dovetail shoe and clamp is reliably secure so long as the OTA is correctly placed and the clamp knob tightened appropriately.

The problem comes however; certainly as far as I'm concerned; in ideally needing three hands: two to hold and position the OTA and one to tighten the clamp knob.

The potential hazards in removing and replacing the OTA are also compounded somewhat by the need to stand on the opposite side to the shoe, making "the fit" of the OTA's dovetail with the mount's dovetail shoe, difficult to see.

The answer ? Enlist the help of another; either to ensure correct dovetail positioning and then to tighten the clamp or, to hold and manoeuver the OTA while you attend to the shoe and clamp.

Hilde is, by now, well practised in the art ! :lol:

Best regards,
Tel

#16 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Bet Hilde does the holding bit while you have the strenuous, and it has to be said, more technical task of tightening the clamp. :rofl2:

Regards. Peter.

#17 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Each to their own specific task, Peter, and she's a big lass !:rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#18 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Bet Hilde does the holding bit while you have the strenuous, and it has to be said, more technical task of tightening the clamp. :rofl2:

Regards. Peter.

Was tempted, but I'm not even going to touch that one. Just use your imaginations. :rainbow:

#19 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

:shameonyou: ! James !

Best regards,
Tel :rofl2:

#20 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

well what I do is stand behind the telescope, first, firmly squeeze the OTA between the clamps, and then tighten the knob as completely as I can with my left hand. Granted I am a righty, but oh well......

there is something like a millimeter of space left between the OTA and the edge of the clamp...... I suppose this is alright?

#21 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

The amount of space between the OTA and clamp is unimportant. After installing the OTA, sight along the dovetail rail and make sure that it is bottomed out in the dovetail clamp. Then you know you've got it in securely.

-Dan

#22 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Dan, it's very close- I'd say eyeballing it- the dovetail rail is half a millimeter or so from being flush against the mount- I cant get it any closer. The clamp just about bisects the rail...... there is about 3 mm of space between the clamp and the edge of the dovetail rail closest to the OTA.

#23 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

The clamp just about bisects the rail...... there is about 3 mm of space between the clamp and the edge of the dovetail rail closest to the OTA.

Not sure I understand from your description. Can you provide a drawing or photo?
-Dan

#24 Ekyprotic

Ekyprotic

Vostok 1

• **---

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

sure, I'll try to take a photo tomorrow when it's light outside- basically, what's going on is that the clamp is about 3mm from touching the OTA. It's not all the way to the innermost edge of the dovetail bracket- I cant get it that close because there's only a half mm or so space left between the dovetail bar and the fork arm on the outward side.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics