Anyone Use a Dehumidifier

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have posted about my leaky Skyshed POD in the past. Well, after trying literally everything that has been suggested, I still have slight leaks at the pivot points. Only one is really bad. If it is just a normal rain, even if it is extended, there really isn't a problem. But who has normal rains in Alabama? We get downpours. After a downpour, the water forms a little puddle around the side of the wall where the problematic pivot point is. Also, if it is a real "flood" there appears to be some seepage from underneath the dome. It is on a concrete slab with sealant all the way around both the inside and outside bottom. I really don't know if it is seepage or just from the leak. Anyway, I have put a small fan inside and aimed to blow out the natural vent area under the dome. This pretty much dries things out in about a day or so. We had downpours yesterday and my puddle was there last night, but it is completely gone today. I am thinking about getting a continuous draining dehumidifier to keep inside the POD and was wondering if anybody here uses one and does it help?

#2 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Good question John, When I had chronic freeze-up with one of the AC units in the house, I would use a dehumidifier to sop up the water and dry out the concrete floor. I was thinking of putting one in my observatory; free-running, with the exhaust water draining outside into a french drain in the yard. This would keep the equipment dry. Unfortunately, it's so hard to find a quiet dehumidifier.

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

This is a little off your direct question but if you're getting a lot of rain but not much wind, could you place a patio umbrella over the area of your obs that's getting pounded? It might help direct the deluge away.

#4 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

No, I wouldn't it would never stop running. I had the same issue. Except I also have snow issues up north but we also get hurricanes and pounding rains.

I wouldn't do this everytime in your climate only when its going to rain but I use backing rod, very similar to http://www.rona.ca/e...ng-sealant-tape but I don't think it expands, I use to to winterize each year and helps with rain. You stuff it up the open part of the dome, but don't leave them there in the sun, its better to have the air circulation.

#5 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well, I found a reconditioned 30 pint model on Ebay and made an offer. I got it, so I am going to try it. I've read elsewhere that others successfully use dehumidifiers in their PODs. This one has the benefit of being programmable so that I can have it cut on and off in two hour or four hour increments. I'll get it and try it for awhile and then report on how well it is doing, if folks are interested.

John

#6 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I am interested in this too as well. Once I get my pod on the deck I might look into it if it works. How many amps would one of those use?

#7 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

The one I got is small. It is rated at 405 watts and draws 3.8 amperes at 115 volts. I only plan to run it when rain is expected.

#8 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Not bad.. I am using a 15 amp breaker. Shouldn't be an issue then. Are you planning on running the drain outside? I think some allow for this. I would drill a hole down or you can simply use the crack on the bottom of the door if its small enough.

#9 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm gonna try to run the hose out the bottom of the door, to begin with at least. Mine has a pretty big gap there, and the dehumidifier attaches to a standard garden hose, so it should be pretty easy. I may drill a hole in the back of the POD base in the future, but I really hate to. The floor is out, because I didn't allow for a drain when the concrete was poured. The dehumidifier should be here next week, so I'll keep you posted.

#10 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yes, I run a dehumidifier in my pod as well as an AC unit. I go out the door with the hose but also have a hole drilled in a bay. And another hole for the AC exhaust.

#11 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Does anyone have pictures of their dehumidifier setup?
Hoe successful are they?

#12 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

AC off since I have no equipment in the pod at the moment. Waiting on my AP1600.

Graph on the lower left is last 24hr of humidity. Last night and early AM humidity was in the 90%+ range. Inside pod stays at 40% or lower humidity level.

Posted Image

#13 mark379

mark379

Messenger

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

AC off since I have no equipment in the pod at the moment. Waiting on my AP1600.

Graph on the lower left is last 24hr of humidity. Last night and early AM humidity was in the 90%+ range. Inside pod stays at 40% or lower humidity level.

Posted Image

Excellent! How much do these units usually cost?
Enough to keep the inside of a sct moisture free?

#14 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

Excellent! How much do these units usually cost?

$100-$200 depending on capacity and brand. Make sure it has a hose hook up.

Enough to keep the inside of a sct moisture free?

When the dome is closed, yes. Once the dome is opened, all bets are off.

#15 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Make sure it has a hose hook up.

Yes, otherwise one will be emptying a very full pan.

#16 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

It's been running now since Tuesday, and the results so far are excellent. Humidity here has been 80-90 and with it set for 50, the pod is staying between 40-50. It runs only maybe half the time. There hasn't been any major rain though. So far I haven't hooked up a hose because I'm using the collected water to water potted plants. I do have to empty it daily. For the one who asked about a pic, you can follow the link to my observatory site in my post about it being operational. You can see the dehumidifier in the pics of my equipment.

#17 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Now that you have reduced your chance for mold and rust, next on the list will be an AC unit.. Then you never have to wait for a scope to cool down! :p

#18 mark379

mark379

Messenger

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Now that you have reduced your chance for mold and rust, next on the list will be an AC unit.. Then you never have to wait for a scope to cool down! :p

Excellent idea! Thank you! :cool:

#19 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hey Mark

I recommend one of the new AC units coming out from climate right air.

www.climaterightair.com

I'm waiting for the 8000btu version (can use unit for other uses/locations) but the 5000 should work great in the POD.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics