• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Howdy all;

I spoke of my longest observing session in an earlier post and now I am starting to get my notes typed in. So, here is what I saw of Omega Centauri in a 16" f/4.5 from a site about 100 miles from Phoenix. I rated the seeing at 6 out of 10 and the transparency at 8 out of 10. A terrific night far from city lights among the pine trees.

NGC 5139 22mm Panoptic very bright, very large, elongated 1.2X1, bright middle...a WOW view if there ever was one. 14mm UWA eyepiece a total of 400 stars resolved are estimated by counting 52 stars in a one eighth size wedge on the eastern side. Averted vision shows many faint outlying stars for a total of at least 500 resolved stars. It makes crawling around on my knees worth it.

The photo is from my Australian buddy, Jim Barclay, it is a 30 minute exposure (on Ilford film;-) with a 12 inch Newtonian.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Attached Files

#2 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

An even better sight is with bino's...now that is WOW! I'm lucky enough to live in Oz so it's a regular visitor in my scope.
Nice photo of an enormous glob.
Matt

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Matt;

I do remember visiting my Australian buddy and finding Omega Centauri by going "UP" from Alpha Centauri. A reminder we are not in Kansas anymore;-)

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#4 CONQUEST1

CONQUEST1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Peoria, Arizona

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Steve,
Excellent, absolutely stunning! Thank you.

Jerry

#5 Bernie Poskus

Bernie Poskus

Explorer 1

• Loc: Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

We can only see it for a few weeks in spring, here in Colorado, and then rarely is it very clear, since it only gets a few degrees above the horizon.

I have observed it repeatedly at the Texas Star Party, though, and I can get lost in it there. The first time I saw it, it took me 40 minutes to tear my eye away. It kind of spoiled me for globular clusters now, as every one of them gets compared to Omega Centauri (though M22 gives Omega a run for its money).

#6 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

We miss it by a mere 7 degrees here in the UK but I've observed it on several occasions when I've been far enough south to do so, including on one memorable occasion last year with Jimi Lowrey's 48" reflector at Fort Davis - it's total overkill with such a giant scope, and don't use your observing eye to look at it! It was STUNNING and I couldn't see out of that eye for a good ten minutes afterwards.

#7 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I can catch it with binoculars from my backyard here in Phoenix as it scrapes the ground.

#8 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

From late winter through early summer, I can view Omega Centauri from Sunset Beach, NC (lat. 33.88 deg). It helps that SB faces south-southeast, and hence OC is out over the ocean. Though it is easy to find on a clear night from my rooftop deck or out on a beach boardwalk away from lights, unfortunately it never gets higher than about eight degrees above the horizon, not quite enough to climb out of the horizonal murk or into better seeing conditions; hence it has a washed-out appearance immensely dimenished from its glorious appearance further south e.g from the Keys in Florida. At best in my NP-101, OC appears as a slightly granular, but nevertheless unresolved blob of light. Still it's very cool simply to be able to see OC at all, even a diminished version of it, since even as a diminished blob it's clearly substantially larger than any other GC seen at the same magnification.

#9 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

Chris, I have seen Omega Centauri from the family house at Oak Island, NC (33.918 deg. N. lat.) with my 10x50 binoculars. It is huge and easily seen as a large gray spot on the sky out over the ocean. It is interesting that the large galaxy NGC 3128, (just north of Omega Centauri) is also a bright easy target for binoculars too.

#10 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

It is interesting that the large galaxy NGC 3128, (just north of Omega Centauri) is also a bright easy target for binoculars too.

Guess that was a typo for NGC 5128..

Clear Skies!

#11 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

It is interesting that the large galaxy NGC 3128, (just north of Omega Centauri) is also a bright easy target for binoculars too.

Guess that was a typo for NGC 5128..

Clear Skies!

Yep! Typo or old eyes. :foreheadslap:

#12 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Viewing Omega Centauri from my home at Lat. 30N a couple of weeks a go with my 14 year old boy who is generally underwhelmed with views from my 10" , I'd rate the view as more impressive than the image above. Not quite the resolution, but the total effect was "take your breath away". My son simply said, "Oh my God" and was glued to the EP for 20 minutes.

#13 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Omega Centauri is a naked eye object from my house in the Arizona high country. It was the first light subject for my 25x100 binoculars. Many stars can can be resolved at this magnification on a good night and it gives it a distinctly 3D appearance. One of my favorite binocular objects and by far the best binocular globular. One day I'd like to see 47 Tucana.
CM

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics