Fringe Killed Moon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

I've had the opportunity to use my Baader Fringe Killer for some months now and without a doubt the most FK appropriate target is the moon (save for Venus but its plain anyway). In my f/6.8 70mm achro fringing is never bad really but it is noticeable enough off the bright limb and peaks and such. This filter however ruthlessly extinguishes the flaring purples and a nice monochrome limb/terminator is had with great clarity.

Its not without its side effects however...

Though the FK is often praise by many as the best anti fringe filter out there is does lend a subtle if pale yellow or warm hue to things. The brilliant stark silvery grey moon now looks like a variation on summery yellow. I wish I cod have it neutral but this is a fact of the FK. I should mention, the BAADER MOON & SKYGLOW Filter when stacked with the FK produces a neutral cool grey with summery yellow quite removed. BAADER does make a combo MSG&FK filter all in one and this would seem to be the best way to get those sterile grey neutral tones tho a slight slight cool blue cast is had either way -combo or seperate.

A problem with some fringe supressors is that the filtration was so altering it acted to the detriment of the contrast and detail of whatever was observe. I can't say this was ever th case with the much he fled side effect tones of this one.

The highlands around the bay of rainbows was riveting tonight - nice to not see it disperse into violet spectrum. The same for the uncompromisingly brilliant limb glare of the leading sunlit edge of the moon. Plato showed uneven lighting with nary a singly resolved crater but again a tantilizing light. The white in white of steep angle sunlight filling Clavius was beautiful.

I can't recommend the FK enough. Get the MSG all in one with the FK if a yellow cast is obtrusive to you. Its as close as you can get to a neutral toned view.

Nicest views around 130x.

Ehhh just 6/10 Seeing - fun though!!!

Pete

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Good info to know. Thanks for passing it on, Pete.

Ed D

#3 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have seen the same results with my Vixen140 refractor. I use a 107mm aperture mask and without the filter there is still fringing and a slight purple wash at high enough magnifications. With the fringe killer there is essentially no purple fringing.

I don't find the color shift that noticeable. I was testing some eyepieces a few weeks ago and didn't even realize I had the filter in.

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics