Changing the Battery in an LX200GPS?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

Can someone tell me how to change the internal battery in a 2003-vintage LX200GPS?

I think it was Chris E. that told me it allows the computer to keep an ephemeris of the GPS satellites. My GPS fix has been taking longer and longer, and now it won't do it at all - I have to enter the time/date. Not a big deal, but I also don't want an old battery leaking inside my scope.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

It is on the back side of the control panel. It is a Lithium 2032 button battery.

You can change it easily by taking of the base cover. It is also possible to change it by removing the control panel, but it is a bit trickier getting the circuit board out and back into the tight hole.

#3 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Thanks, Chris.
To take off the base cover entails demounting the scope, right? Since it's 125 lb, I can't handle that without help, which I ain't got. Is taking the front control panel off pretty easy? And does it have to come out far to get to the battery? How tricky are we talking about - tricky as in I could wreck the scope?
(You've probably guessed that I'm strictly a user, not a tinkerer. :p)

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

The circuit board on back of the control panel is about the same size as the hole it has to come out of. Using the gap between the control panel and the card to work the board out one-end-at-a-time should work. Remove the four corner screws, pull the panel up a bit and you can inspect the situation to better-understand what you have to do.

#5 P26

P26

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

My 14" was the first shipped, and the circuit board design was such that the battery couldn't be removed without permanently deforming the battery clip that was soldered to the board :shocked: Meade may have redesigned the circuit board since then but don't assume that because the batteries come out easily on the smaller scopes that your 14" is going to be easy. A clean removal may be impossible.

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

Anyone ever tell you you're a real buzz-kill, Pete? :p

Mine was one of the first, too (received June '03). Do you have any wisdom for me, should this be the case? I can't have it leaking all over the innards of my telescope.

#7 P26

P26

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

All you can do is check it out Rick. My "first-off-production-run" had a unique secondary mirror mount design, so perhaps I wound up with a prototype board too. Good luck.

#8 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, Pete. I'm going to do it tomorrow; I'll report back afterward.

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Success!

After a long day of runaround, that is. First thing was, I needed a stardriver to remove the screws on the panel. The smallest I had was T-9 and it was too big. So I went to Home Depot (45 mile round trip) and got a set that included T-4 through T-8. After that, everything went smoothly. I eased the board out (back and forth like you said Chris), and the battery revealed itself. Pete, my clip was standard, no trouble replacing the battery.

Afterward, I opened the observatory and powered up the scope. Previously, it had been going through like 10 rows of splats before asking the date & time. Now, it went through 1 1/2 rows and got the fix. I powered down and back up; this time, it only took about half a row of splats. Everything seems to be 100% A-OK.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. Thanks, too, to my observing buddy Dinsdale who found and emailed me instructions including a photo.
My scope is once again at the peak of its powers (unless I bolluxed something up putting it back together).

#10 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

On a side note, and someone that has had a LOT of batteries go to leaking, I'm not positive (pun intended) but I doubt that button batteries will leak fuel :>) leastwise I have never seen one that has. has anyone? I will not leave "AA" or "AAA" batteries in any device anymore. I have had where the device will still power up, and batteries been leaking. and no not your cheaper brands neither. coppertops and bunny brand are notorious. while on the subject... anyone know how they can be recycled/disposed of properly in a place that does not believe in suchwhat?

Theo

#11 cgilber

cgilber

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

My 14" was the first shipped, and the circuit board design was such that the battery couldn't be removed without permanently deforming the battery clip that was soldered to the board :shocked: Meade may have redesigned the circuit board since then but don't assume that because the batteries come out easily on the smaller scopes that your 14" is going to be easy. A clean removal may be impossible.

I just tried changing my battery and found the same problem with the clip as you encountered. Now I have to figure out a way to put tension on the new battery. Oh joy. Any tips?

#12 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I just tried changing my battery and found the same problem with the clip as you encountered. Now I have to figure out a way to put tension on the new battery. Oh joy. Any tips?

Penny

#13 cgilber

cgilber

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Penny

Hi-Tech. ;) I'll give it a bang, cheers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics