How much further with a 4" scope?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JonH

JonH

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

G'day everybody. I have been taking snaps of Saturn with a neximage 5 and stacking with registax 6. I have already had some helpful hints about processing on the classics forum but wonder if I am close to hitting the wall in terms of what I am going to get from a 4" f15 scope? Any further advice/thoughts gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Jon

Attached Files

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure there is more to be had but I'm not a planetary guy so I really can't give advice.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hmmmm, I would suspect that you have a way to go yet. In planetary imaging seeing is everything. If this were taken under excellent seeing conditions then yeah, you've pretty much reached the limit, but this looks more like a seeing-limited image for a 4". Here in North America I always look at the Clear Sky Chart and if the seeing isn't in the very good to excellent range I don't even bother trying to image the planets (but I will take a peek visually).

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

For reference with refractors I always go the CN user BKBrown and his amazing work. Link

#5 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

G'day everybody. I have been taking snaps of Saturn with a neximage 5 and stacking with registax 6. I have already had some helpful hints about processing on the classics forum but wonder if I am close to hitting the wall in terms of what I am going to get from a 4" f15 scope? Any further advice/thoughts gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Jon

Below is what I've been able to do with a NexImage 5 and a NexStar 5SE. If you watch this video you might get some ideas of things to try.

Attached Files

#6 JonH

JonH

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks CounterWeight et al, that was just what I was after. Seems like I can get quite a bit more out of the old Unitron before I look for something with more aperture.

Clear skies

Jon

#7 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Steve, those fantastic! :bow:

#8 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Hi John, maybe you need a longer video clip to get in more frames for stacking. Chose the best frames and stack those. I almost always use a Barlow both with my Neximage as well as DSLR. I like the outcome with the DSLR + Barlow much better. Here's a Saturn I took last month.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics