Photo

Belt of Orion Observatory Final resting place.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

What you have done for remote operation is exactly what I intend on doing for winter use. I made an attempt last year trying to use usb extention cables running them 45 feet to my shop and the signal had degraded too much to be useful. Thought about wireless and am in the process of setting it up that way.

#27 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Winters can get cold here and I have seen my fair share of them and experienced them as a youth and when I got older. I have been through the numerous -50c with the eyelashes freezing to the eyepieces and with a baby on the way at the end of August I want to be closer inside and still to Astrophotography. Someone in the RASC pointed me to USB over Ethernet and I decided to go for it. I bought 45m of Cat5e direct burial with silicon core and I direct buried it. I tested inside the house to make sure the USB-RJ45 worked and they did even through my 7 port Hub! I buy all of my cables from Monoprice. I can't believe the prices places like Best Buy charges.

#28 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Congratulations, with a baby on the way,you will be plenty busy and you will still be able to enjoy observing and imaging while keeping an eye on the little one.

#29 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

if I was to put in GFI do I need to use a GFI breaker and a GFI plug in the observatory? or will one in the observatory be fine with a 20amp regular breaker at the panel be fine?

#30 astro-monkey

astro-monkey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

You will need either a GFCI breaker OR a GFCI outlet but not both of them.

#31 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Made some progress this weekend, I hired a licensed electrician to do the electrical hookup instead of doing it myself, for insurance purposes.

Had to drill a few holes because our moron builder set the panel 2' below grade. Mast comes in and is covered by drywall. Each hole we drilled hit concrete. We managed to find a spot, at the EXTREME top of the panel! We used a spare 15amp.

Posted Image
Power to panel by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Inside the observatory is a 15amp GFCI. The door cover will be replaced with a wall plate once the dome is on and secured. You will notice I only have the two plugs and no switch. I did this because I wanted to keep it simple, straight line in. I will use the switch at the panel to turn it all off. I have a headlamp, no need for lights. I have a red rope light for the pier plus a 2 to 6 plug surge protector. I will just use zip ties to keep the AC brick to the side of the pier.

Posted Image
15amp GFCI inside by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Later in the day I started moving the dome, what you see here is the Skyshed POD dismantled and pressure washed. Used a shop vac to remove any water left behind in the PODS.

Posted Image
Started to move the Dome by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Laid out the walls and pods according to the 10x10 deck on the Skyshed POD site and because I am offsetting to the North (direction of the pods) it means that they sit quite a bit over the edge so I have decided to go back to the 1 on each side of the door and 1 in the back configuration, more pics on that later.

Posted Image
10x10 configuration by AstroJeff, on Flickr

removing the cardboard is impossible! the company who poured it didn't use an releasing agent, I tried Trisodium Phosphate, soap and water and a pressure washer. Figure, just leave it.

Posted Image
Space inside by AstroJeff, on Flickr

You can see I have lots of room out front. PODS face N and wall faces S. I still have to go a few inches North but I need to get the scope mounted before using the lag bolts.

Posted Image
Showing front door. by AstroJeff, on Flickr

#32 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Cool.

#33 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Very nice! Looks like you'll be using it soon.

#34 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Jeff,
You are going to enjoy having your own special space.
Michael

#35 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Made a little progress, temporarily mounted scope to check for clearances:

Posted Image
IMG_20130724_190824 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

After months of calculating, doubting and wondering if I measured right, I am happy to report I officially have 1" of clearance! I might have more once I adjust for the north offset.

Posted Image
IMG_20130724_190855 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_20130724_191043 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_20130724_191120 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

I might have to turn the OTA 180 degrees if I run out of room, hopefully it doesn't mess up the balance to the point I have to move it further up the dovetail.

#36 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

"I will use the switch at the panel to turn it all off."

You don't mean to use the breaker to turn it off, do you?
Not a good idea. Breakers are for safety, not as a means to turn power on and off.
If I am mistaken, please forgive me! I would not want you to have a false sense of security. :confused:

#37 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Tom,

He's required to have a switch. For 120V, you're only required to have a single pole switch at the out-building to control it. He means that, I'm sure.

Jeff, thanks for posting that. I'm going through adding 120V at the shed and it's nice to see how you did it. Did you have it 'trenched' or did you use a vibratory plow?

Thanks,
Chris

#38 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

No.. the electrician I had hook it up to the panel told me to use the breaker switch in the panel to turn off and on. I do not have a switch in the observatory. I requested it but was told to just use the panel. Is it difficult to do this myself? I have a two plug GFCI in the observatory, how hard is it to put a switch in?

I hired a company to do it, the trench had to be over 100' long and I can't dig that and Home Depot rentals do not rent trench diggers here. They brought a mini excavator in and dug it down two feet. Power is direct bury but I put in in conduit, the ethernet is direct bury without conduit.

#39 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

I have made a few additions to the observatory and that is:

I bought some 1/2"x4" Lag screws and bolted the Skyshed POD down. I am 3 short, no big deal I can get more. I had twice as many washers, maybe I have another bag somewhere.

Posted Image
IMG_20130806_191321_1 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Next thing I did was take the scope down and the CGEM mount so I could attach a teflon based material down on the Starizona CGEM plate, pay no mind to my crude drawing. I wasn't sure after peeling the sticky side whether I could see through it so I measured to be sure.

Posted Image
IMG_20130806_195006 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

You can see after sticking it down I could see the holes that I need to cut out:

Posted Image
IMG_20130806_195145 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Finished cutting away the access:

Posted Image
Teflon, to help with Azimuth movement by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Anyone with a CGEM knows what I mean when I say that moving the mount in Azimuth using the knobs and next to impossible. Too much friction, even with the center bolt loosened. You turn and turn and turn and nothing happens. Then its that last frustrating turn that the mount finally moves the amount of the many turns. With this teflon substance it is as smooth as a baby's bottom and I have to thank a fellow member of CN (ORION58) for packing up, sending and paying for postage to send me the teflon substance he had left over. It is people like him that truly makes being part of this extended family we like to call CloudyNights an amazing experience.

#40 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Circuit Breakers are not switches. They are safety devices used to protect a circuit from overcurrent. I think your electrician brushed you off by not listening and installing a true switch. Now having said that, installing a switch yourself is easy. There are many turorials on line for installing a single pole switch. Do you only have one circuit?

#41 Craig Ballew

Craig Ballew

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

Did you consider using fiber optic cable instead of cat 5e cable for the underground run?

I would worry about strong current surge induced by lightning strikes. I've seen underground cable runs that were never affected but I have also seen some 40 ft runs that burned out electronics repeatedly from ground lightning strikes up to a mile away.

#42 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Craig, Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad you joined us, especially here in Observatories!

Thanks for sharing your experience & suggestion for the OP.

#43 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

I never thought about using fibre, never had issues with lightning, in fact we rarely get thunderstorms, mostly just hurricanes and snow storms.

The power run is from the panel to the switch and only one circuit. I will look into putting in a switch.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics