• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 starnutty

starnutty

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hi guys I have much own observatory now and all my equipment is kept out there. I am currently storing all my stuff such as tube,eyepieces and motors (as I have a goto scope) in metal boxes which are all locked for security and to stop them getting damp. Is this right or should I be storing it differently?

Ben

#2 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Cool, one stop shopping for the criminally minded. We appreciate that! :cool:

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ben, any chance of the metal boxes rusting? As far as locking boxes for security; unless they are somehow fastened to the walls/floor where they cannot just be picked up and carried out, not much security. Better security is to have an excellent lock on a strong door.

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Do I understand that you are storing the tube and motors someplace separate from mounted right on the pier in your observatory?

Seems that defeats much of the purpose of having an observatory---the roll off the roof and ready-to-use aspect.

I don't know how damp it could get inside that building that it would hurt these things. There are lots of threads about how to limit dampness on the Forum, so I won't duplicate that here. But, really, does it get that damp (or hot, or cold, or whatever). This equipment does survive a lot.

As for putting them in storage boxes. Sounds like a good idea as long as the boxes themselves are secure.

Of course, if your observatory is a high crime area, or very remote from others, you have the issue of theft or vandalism, but I really think that if it secure enough for your telescope, it is secure enough for the rest of it.

Alex

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

I would just get an insurance policy specifically for your gear. Packing it up each night defeats the purpose of having a shed and the boxes just make it easier for someone to walk off with your stuff.

A good lock and door are the biggest deterrent. You can add a security camera pretty cheap.

#6 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

I have a steel security door on the outside of my entry door as well as VERY visible video security. 99% of all doors can be easily defeated by simply kicking them in. A father/son team (yea you gotta love it) was breaking into garages in my area simply by kicking in doors. It takes less than a minute to kick one in. A steel security door cannot be kicked in. To defeat it you would need a portable grinder and time, neither of which most crack head burglars want to deal with. In the end you really cannot stop someone bound and determined to break in but you can make it very unappealing as compared to your neighbors. Sad but its the truth.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics