• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Howdy all;

I have an old Canon Xt and now that the latest version has hit the market I am considering a camera with more pixels and better firmware. I think I can afford a T2i. That more than doubles the number of pixels and provides much faster ISO settings. They are 600 dollars on Amazon and I can't find a really good price anywhere else. I can afford 300 dollars, but I need a place to go where that much money will buy one. Any ideas? Is there a web site I am missing?

Thanks;
Steve Coe

#2 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Keep your eyes on S&S and the classifieds. Or even E-bay. You'll have to buy used, but I'll bet you could find one for $300.

#3 Derryk

Derryk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, US

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

You can get a refurbished T2i (body only) directly from Canon. I just checked and they are showing they have them in stock right now for $307.19. I recently got a T3i refurbished from Canon and am really happy with it.

Cheers,

#4 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'll second the Canon Refurb site. Plus you do get a (short) return period.

#5 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Derek;

Thanks so much for the info, I will jump on it.

Steve Coe

#6 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

For $333 shipped I bought a Canon T2i refurbished. I should be here next week. I will have it in time for new moon. I will post some results. I am looking forward to having 18 Megapixels and updateed Digic noise reduction.

Thanks;
Steve Coe

#7 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I also recently picked up a refurb t3i from Canon, as did a few others on the forum. Love it. The articulating screen is great. Had many a neckache from my t3. Other than the white refurb box, the t3i looked brand new and works flawlessly.

Congrats on the new cam. You'll love it!

#8 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

Still don't understand why the flip out screen matters...ya ain't gonna focus/capture using it anyway...unless one is "shooting from the hip" so to speak.

It's gonna be controlled via capture software on a 'puter of some sort, so the flip out function seems redundant/not important.

?????????????????? Looking at the screen???????? how passe...

#9 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Still don't understand why the flip out screen matters...ya ain't gonna focus/capture using it anyway...unless one is "shooting from the hip" so to speak.

It's gonna be controlled via capture software on a 'puter of some sort, so the flip out function seems redundant/not important.

It matters when you are only using the DSLR to shoot a video of Planets minus laptop and need the screen to focus and shoot. Also helps when you need to shoot a mosaic of the Moon when its at the Zenith.

#10 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

I don't have a laptop so it's EXTREMELY handy when mounted on my scope. Also, in everyday use, particularly shooting at public events, the articulating screen saves the day.

On a side note, I REALLY wish Canon would add the wifi feature found in so many Nikon's. I'm not sure exactly how many of the camera features it controlls, but it could eliminate the need for a laptop altogether, at least when viewing/imaging within range of ones home wifi network. I believe only the 6D offers this feature and that one is WAY out of my price range :(

#11 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

While that is true for Astro Shots, especially when the last thing you want to do is touch the Camera (Jiggles, flats, etc).

Yet as others above have noted, there are times the camera isn't tethered. And being able to articulate the screen is a REAL handy feature. Macro shots of Flowers, movies of the kids, the big Moon last night...each to their own.

#12 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

I keep my astrophotography as simple as possible. Therefore, I use a simple shutter cable and just time with a kitchen timer the length of the exposure. I also use older Takumar lenses that are at infinity focus as the end of the turn of the focus ring. No guessing at focus with an autofocus lens. I don't connect my camera to a computer at any time, except to retrieve the images. About 10 minutes of adjusting some color and contrast with XnView, a freeware program, works good enough for me.

I am happy enough with the results and there is plenty to shoot at once my refurb T2i body arrives.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#13 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Canon T2i is the one I want to acquire and full spectrum mod.

Looking forward to your first images and review.

#14 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Dude..simmer down.. :)

The way I see it is;
Different strokes for different folks ;)

I say the same thing, but then I also own a T3i and find it SO much easier to use, and I still use a laptop..
But, I also do NOT use the laptop for the frame and focusing processes when setting up as I can do it by hand MUCH faster than any saftware can(or at least, I just know what I am doing when with the camera myself, and not very tech-savvy, lol)

And what about the people that use their DSLR for daytime? which is a large percentage of people...
Those features may be "wasted" on AP, but come sunrise, you now have a VERY different set of features available..
I do not see how this is "passe" :shrug:

The T3i has its place. it is a very great model to use..
so to say that everyone who owns one is wasting their $ or is "passe"..I dont agree..
That is like saying just because the film is so old it is 'passe'; and yet digital has yet to reach the medium format film quality, except for medium format DIGITAL cameras...which are $40-50k!
(note, not relevant to AP AFAIK..just one example I thought of...)..

the flip side of this is people saying: "What, the new 6D has WiFi built in? I am never going to use that, so why charge me for it? I would rather save a few $ and not have that feature...."
Hello...you can CHOOSE to use features you want and do not want.
That is like the microwave when first developed..or the car..or WiFi itself...or even smart phones...the list is virtually endless..
They do not make cameras custom for each individual....so no matter what the camera/car/tablet/cell phone/etc/etc/etc...you will (probably) use it differently than anyone else..even if you do not realize it..
Yes, there is that normal bell curve for the "average user"...but no generalization that you HAVE to stay inside that bell curve, and that if you do go outside of it you are wasting your time or $/features/etc, or puting things in that MOST people will not use...when? at this very moment..but give technology another 6 months and every camera will have built in GPS and WiFi...(not a prediction, just an analogy!).
:)

Cheers

#15 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I really thought I typed "T2i" into the original post. Maybe my vision is getting poor.

Anyway, my T2i is on its way and I hope to get some shots with it next week. It has all the features I need and I don't plan to have its' filter removed anytime soon. Lots of great shots to enjoy with the stock camera body.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#16 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I really thought I typed "T2i" into the original post. Maybe my vision is getting poor.

Anyway, my T2i is on its way and I hope to get some shots with it next week. It has all the features I need and I don't plan to have its' filter removed anytime soon. Lots of great shots to enjoy with the stock camera body.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

You did :smirk:

My comments were more directed towards the fact the camera appeared brand new in an attempt to ease any apprehension you may have had. Shelling out a decent chunk of cash on something you have no documentation of history, to me, is a bit of a gamble. I believe a few others members had the same positive experience with the Canon refurbs. I was hesitant thinking this was gonna be some demo unit that was banged around on a Walmart display somewhere. Nope.

I apologize, as it seems my articulating screen comment seems to have had a negative affect on your thread. I actually thought the T2i HAD the same screen or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

#17 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Ok, now looks like i'll have to get one to see what all the fuss is about... :crazy: :smarty:

#18 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

Mike, et al;

I was just having fun. Glad to hear that there are plenty of possible refurbs to choose from. I did have to see what the differences were to see what I wanted. To be perfectly honest the T2i was the one I could afford.

After seeing what my old Xt could do with 8 Megapixels, I am really looking forward to seeing the detail available with 18 Megapixels and the new noise reduction.

I have a 22 inch monitor for my desktop and my astronomy club (SAC) has a nice digital display for the screen in front of the meeting room. It will be fun to see what the difference is in the "new" camera. I will post here as well, of course.

Can't that FedEx truck go any faster??

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#19 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I believe the T2i has a movie crop mode that is better for planetary imaging. Better how?...I have no idea. Jerry Lodriguss explained it in another thread but it went way over my head.

#20 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I believe the T2i has a movie crop mode that is better for planetary imaging. Better how?...I have no idea. Jerry Lodriguss explained it in another thread but it went way over my head.

It's better because it provides a 1:1 pixel resolution; meaning 1 sensor pixel will give you 1 image pixel.

On most model using 5x live view will also give you a 1:1 pixel resolution.

http://www.astropix....ixel_Resolut...

Hope this helps,

Guylain

#21 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I do everything over a tethered body with a PC in the obs. That said I use the screen for a couple things.

One.. when the mount is out of sync by position slightly and I don't want to go to the computer to plate solve, (or its too far out to plate solve quickly.) I slew to Vega and center it on the screen and sync the mount.

Two.. when shooting solar and lunar pics, the screen is superb for centering the Sun or Moon. At night I do plate solves on stars and get dead nuts accuracy but during the day or bright dusk the screen is nice.

Three... when shooting flats I go solely with the screen for positioning the camera in the giant white field of the posterboard hanging in the obs.

For all of these I'd rather the screen flipped out than not. But for my T2i, it does not.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics