Photo

Sharpless 2-115

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Every once in a while I need to be reminded that I haven't got this all figured out. Last night was one of those nights that just wasn't going well. Most of it stemmed from my trying to change the way my camera is coupled to my telescope. I have been using a 2" nosepiece on the camera. Since my compression fitting has two screws 90 degrees apart, I thought that might be causing some of my off center illumination of the field. When I bought the camera, I also got a SCT adapter with it. I put that on and then fired up the scope. It focused well enough and in fact I had somewhat better than normal HFR values.

What I found is that my platesolver (Elbrus) in Sequence Generator Pro was not working. My first thought was that I had changed the focal length enough that it could not find solutions. I tried a number of different likely values. Nothing worked. After spending way too much time on this, I then took a close look at the images. Things were in focus, but the stars were horribly elongated. Evidently the new coupler introduced a world of tilt. It had to go, and my 2" nose piece got put back on.

Finally around 12, I started imaging. I had decided to go after Sharpless 2-115 in Cygnus with my Ha Filter. I ended up with about 9 useable frames of 10 minutes. My last 7 frames of the 16 I shot were bad because of either high level haze, fog, dew, or some combination of the above. I know it wasn't all dew, because the worst frame of the bunch was in the middle of the pack.

This target needs more time, but this is what I have managed to acquire so far.

Attached Files

#2 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Nice detail for 90 minutes and a headache!

Every once in a while I need to be reminded that I haven't got this all figured out

I don't have that problem :lol: I'm reminded almost every time I turn on my camera...

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

It never ends just have to learn to call it 'fun', ;)

I agree - nice result there to build on!

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Zerro1 and Counterweight. This kind of learning is fun. Now start testing me on it, and I would feel differently.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics