CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Contributing to Astronomy in 2013 Using Mid-...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Contributing to Astronomy in 2013 Using Mid-Twentieth Century Technology

By Pat Rochford

#2 GHarris

GHarris

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Fascinating. I was completely unaware of this kind of variable star measurement. I assumed it was all done with CCDs!

#3 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Very good introduction to something that I never heard of myself. I wish the author can do more on this topic, for a follow up article, very exciting. I would love to learn more about this.

John

#4 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Explorer 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

John,

For more information on photoelectric photometry of variable stars - go to the AAVSO's website, click on observing, observing sections and then PEP observers. This will give you the who, what, where, when & why of the organization's work on this subject. Great people to deal with - lot's of support.

For information on the photometers themselves, go to Optec Inc's website - click on catalog, SSP photometers and then SSP photometer links. Again, great people to deal with ... seem happy to answer all your questions.

This should give you a good starting point for PEP information. As I mentioned, it's been around for a long time but has been overshadowed a bit by CCD cameras in recent years. Hope this helps you.

Pat

#5 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Explorer 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

There is an Optec SSP-5 photometer for sale this evening in the CN classified ads.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics