Photo

Sometimes a Questar costs $40, sometimes more...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Glenn,

Sorry an awkward playing upon Nave's thread "$100 quandary". I was going to drag out the opening of the package but decided to spare everyone the excitement of believing it would be another "affordable" Questar

#27 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Your UPS guy is the coolest, f'sure.

#28 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Send it back to Edmund. I beleive it is still $35 for a complete rebuild no matter how bad, and that includes return shipping. You only pay the $35 to them and shipping cost to them. Call them to be sure.

#29 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Really, like wow. Who would even attempt fixing one for $35. I thought I heard about that before, but never checked it out.

#30 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

I emailed them to see if the repair policy covers ground glass. If not I'll try to nab one cheap without ep's.

Without paper work is there a way to determine the country of origin or vintage? I found a sticker on mine saying made in China. I assume that makes it a pretty recent vintage. Were early ones made in Japan and mid life ones made in the US and then China? Does the dust cap indicate where it was made? Mine looks like this but there is a current eBay offering that has a different cap.

Attached Files

#31 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

I would think being made in China would indicate a newer model, though I have no idea when they started being manufactured there. The fact that the eyepieces are Plossls rather than RKEs, assuming they were the originally supplied eyepieces, indicates a newer vintage, too.

#32 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

[quote name="starman876"]You need split ring pliers to remove the window. Look down ar the window and you will see the split ring. You can get the pliers at Sears. Do not attempt to remove it without proper tools. The mirror is held in the same way. [/quote

Just a follow up on my not at all classic recent Chinese made Astroscan. I wanted to remove the weight that was loose and smashing into the mirror at every opportunity. A very cheap pair of split ring pliers aka keeper removers. Of course the tips were...

Attached Files

#33 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

needing some finessing... which was easy with an angle grinder and flat file...

Attached Files

#34 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Optical window out, loose weight out, now what? The collimation has been compromised fully. Everything glass is a mess. The screw that should help hold the weight in place was making contact with the plastic base just barely... winged it. Apparently the glue all by itself couldn't hang on.

M-13 was actually pretty awesome last night.

Attached Files

#35 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Parting shot...

Attached Files

#36 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Of course!
A vintage pineapple cannon launcher!
Just need an M-80!

#37 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hmmm, I was thinking best friends forever, or at least till the pineapple rots...

but an explosive tropical fruit launcher works too. M-80 isn't that in scorpius?

#38 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Actually, if the temps are warm enough, you can whack off the top of the pineapple and stick it in dirt, give it some fertilizer and water and it'll grow! Can't do that with an Astroscan now can you!?

#39 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

I'm in Oregon dude! Fertile soils, but never pinapple warm. The Astroscan still has a chance here, a few clear nights...it'll grow (on me at least), :lol:

#40 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Without paper work is there a way to determine the country of origin or vintage? I found a sticker on mine saying made in China. I assume that makes it a pretty recent vintage. Were early ones made in Japan and mid life ones made in the US and then China? Does the dust cap indicate where it was made? Mine looks like this but there is a current eBay offering that has a different cap.

At least on the earlier Astroscans, the country of origin can be found molded into the plastic around the lower strap knob hole... will be either U.S.A. or Japan. Not sure if the Chinese version has this, but it's easy to check... if nothing's there, then that would surely indicate a Chinese origin.

Any serial number on this one, Keith? Also, what are your plans for the scope if you decide not to replace the optics?

Fred

eta: Pineapple and Astroscan, BFF... I love it! :roflmao:

#41 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Hi Fred,

Here is the serial number...

I replaced the optics just today by "winning" a quite well endowed, quite expensive 1988/90ish Astroscan 2001 on eBay. USA made... lots of real RKE eyepieces. Hopefully the foam is still intact and the mirror is good! :praying: My Chinese Goodwill bargain buy brought me two nice Plossel ep's and an appreciation for these RFT's.

Attached Files

#42 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

my buddy wants me to get a scope for his granddaughter
and i told him one of these are a good bet....
been watching you all bidding and thought i would wait till
you all have one then ill get him one....learning a lot about them here also...that's a good thing...didn't know jack about them before.

#43 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the s/n photo, Keith... looks like the old numbering system was retired once they started making them in China. Glad to hear you won the new scope and eyepieces, I'm sure you're going to enjoy them!

Brian, you really should get hold of one of these, they're a whole lot of simple fun, as well as a great scope to throw in the car when traveling, and you don't want to take the high-end stuff along... the fact that they can be set up right on the hood or trunk of a car in literally seconds for a quick peek, or can be used terrestrially with an erecting lens, places them among the most versatile scopes around... plus they just look cool :cool: A search of the archives should turn up a good many informative threads on the Astroscan.

Fred

#44 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

So I started this thread about a Not Questar that cost me more money ($57) than Nave's real Questar which cost him ($40). Mine had a tube weight come undone "obviously" scratching and chipping the optical window and of course the mirror as it bounced around inside... first finding its way to Goodwill Sacramento, CA. and then a much longer trip finding its way to me. I was satisfied with getting the eyepieces which was all I was bidding on.

After I got the scope I found out that it was not vintage even by astroscan standards and the eyepieces are Edmund Plossel, the Chinese version, not RKE marked. The eyepieces were unused and I still like them a lot having tried them in a varity of other scopes around the house.

Anyway... today I was straightening up the kitchen, finally cutting and eating that pineapple and thought I'd button the astroscan back up. As I was putting the optical window back in I realized the "obvious" scratches in the glass were not scratches at all, but grease/or vasoline. I was able to clean the optical window under hot water with a alcohol follow up. The secondary cleaned up with alcohol and now I'm working on the primary. It is going to take a mountain of cotton balls and a pint of isopropyl 91% before it is done. A little grease sure goes a long way.

I have two questions...

Why the heck isn't the glass chipped and scratched after what it has been through?

And how the heck did grease or ? get inside this closed telescope?

#45 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

And how the heck did grease or ? get inside this closed telescope?

Maybe it wasn't always closed? How well do you know its history?

#46 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Good point, I don't know any history.

I am making some headway...

Attached Files

#47 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Lookin' Good!

#48 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

Update on the not vintage/classic Astroscan...

Everything cleaned up remarkably well. A nick and a few scratches in the
primary, a chip in the secondary but considering that weight bouncing around...

Put it back together and it is certainly out of collimation! I'm thinking cookie
jar, too bad I still have the one I grew up with :lol:

Attached Files

#49 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Looks super good now! Did you take the mirror out to clean it?

(Sweet cookie jar, btw... :cool:)

Fred

#50 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

No, just reached in blind and mopped up the grease. The mirror isn't perfect but pretty good. A star test showed serious coma. The crescent moon at low power was nice, but that's about all. Here is a view through a collimation cap instead of the eyepiece... seems a bit out.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics