Atlas mount missing planets????

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

My Atlas mount works fine and spot on with my SW Pro 120 ED APO on it going to just about anything I put into the controller. When I select a planet the other night first at Saturn it slews toward it and stops a long ways from it. Like Saturn is almost due south and it stops south east. When I select the moon it passes it up by a long ways. The moon is at a little past west at zenith and it stops at about due west way past the moon. I had them send me a replacement controller because the original one the right / left directions did not work. This one works fine. Where am I going wrong trying to lock onto the planets? Any help appreciated. Thanks :help:

Bill

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

If it does the stars correctly but not the things that move (Moon, Saturn) then maybe the wrong date and time have been entered.

#3 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

On my CGEM you have to tell the HC it's daylight savings time.

#4 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Time and date were ok and so was the day light savings time.

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

So it points to the stars correctly? Then you have the correct date and time info there. It couldn't point at the starsaccurately without that information.

If it's only missing the planets, maybe you have the year entered incorrectly.... The stars are in pretty much the same spot every year but the planets and moon are not....

Otherwise it's a mystery.

Dave

#6 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I will double check everything next time I set it up.

Thanks for the help

Bill

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

If Time and Date are correct then the problem is the Location (RA/DEC) setting.

I use my iPad to get my exact location and then enter that into my telescope. Make sure you get the N/S E/W correct or you will really be messed up. I think on the Atlas you can pick the nearest city if you don't know your exact RA/DEC but that usually means that the planets will be off depending on how far you are from that city.

#8 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I use my GPS settings for my exact location from my smart phone. Like I said all the M and NGC objects are spot on and it tracks fine. I also checked my polar alignment and it was perfect. I then again went thru the set up for all the input for time, date, long/lat etc. I guess all I can do is try again soon as the moon is gone. Thanks

Bill

#9 WarrenS

WarrenS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County New York

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

You're not the only one this happens to. More often than not when trying to view planets, they end up outside the field of view and I have to use my finder to center them in an eyepiece or camera. All the settings on the hand controller are correct and go to's to stars and DSO's are accurate.

#10 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

A small error in the planet position could be due to the precision with which the planet positions are calculated in the HC.

But a big error such as you describe - 45 degrees for Saturn? - is more likely to be some sort of misunderstanding about the time. If you start with Saturn due South now it will be SE at the same time and date in 4 years time.

Try slewing to where the scope thinks a few planets are and note the Ra and Dec for each. You may be able to work out what time the scope things it is using.

Chris

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

So it points to the stars correctly? Then you have the correct date and time info there. It couldn't point at the starsaccurately without that information.

If it's only missing the planets, maybe you have the year entered incorrectly.... The stars are in pretty much the same spot every year but the planets and moon are not....

Otherwise it's a mystery.

Dave

No...Time/Date/Time zone are only used for the planets and other Solar System objects. Stars and DSOs, no...just a go-to alignment.

#12 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Rod, I'm a bit surprised by this. Are you saying the O.P. could just turn on his mount (assuming a good polar alignment) and after doing a two star alignment be able to find dso's no matter what time, date etc. was entered into the HC? I know for my AP Mach 1 and my Gemini G11 before that, that this is decidedly not the case and the number of folks I've seen struggling to get the time/date etc. correct on their mounts just so they can go to M42 etc. is formidable....

What am I missing?

Dave.

#13 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Further thoughts. Actually my Sky Commander only requires a two-star alignment to point well to DSO's. The date is only needed for planets. But all mounts are not like this, are they? I guess there are different systems of 'algorithms?' <word needed> for different mounts - some need the date and location to work at all and some don't. The OP has an Atlas which must differ from the mounts I'm used to.

Dave

#14 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Toshimi Taki has some good information on mount alignments and shows how to do this. http://www.geocities.jp/toshimi_taki/

It's seriously mathematical.

As you say this isn't the only way to do this.

Chris

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Rod, I'm a bit surprised by this. Are you saying the O.P. could just turn on his mount (assuming a good polar alignment) and after doing a two star alignment be able to find dso's no matter what time, date etc. was entered into the HC? I know for my AP Mach 1 and my Gemini G11 before that, that this is decidedly not the case and the number of folks I've seen struggling to get the time/date etc. correct on their mounts just so they can go to M42 etc. is formidable....

What am I missing?

Dave.

The alignment star suggestions would be affected, but that is not a big deal. Of course it's easy to enter time/date, etc....but it is a good tool in troubleshooting problems like the OP's...

#16 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Further thoughts. Actually my Sky Commander only requires a two-star alignment to point well to DSO's. The date is only needed for planets. But all mounts are not like this, are they? I guess there are different systems of 'algorithms?' <word needed> for different mounts - some need the date and location to work at all and some don't. The OP has an Atlas which must differ from the mounts I'm used to.

Dave

The Atlas also "really" only uses a 2-star. Star three in a three-star is to correct for cone (mount misalignment) errors. Most go-to mounts work basically like the Commanders...with the difference being fancy stuff like suggesting alignment stars for you... ;)

#17 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have been doing the three star alignment. Next time I set up I will try the 2 star alignment and see how it works. As far as alignment of the mount with the polar alignment scope it is dead on.

Bill

#18 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

I have been doing the three star alignment. Next time I set up I will try the 2 star alignment and see how it works. As far as alignment of the mount with the polar alignment scope it is dead on.

Bill

If your OTA is perfectly aligned to the RA axis, 2-star is more than good enough. In most cases, especially with SCTs, though, a 3-star works much better.

#19 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Well the new controller they sent started doing the same thing. When pushing the left, down, up buttons after setting the speed those buttons would start slow and speed up fast release the button and it still kept moving and pressing the escape would not stop it. It still went past almost every star selected on alignment. When it stopped on its own it would drive back to where it started from. Also there were arching noises from inside the mount and several times the normal slewing sound would get a real loud grinding noise. So today I called and they sent a call tag and the mount and controller are on there way back to service. We will see what comes back. Hopefully it works. Orion was real good about returning it. My fingers are crossed!!

Bill

#20 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Install the latest firmware 3.35 and read it's release notes. Maybe it will solve your problem which seems to be software related.

#21 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Moromete; They will install the 3.35 firmware. Where will I find its release notes? Thanks

Bill

#22 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Have a look here http://www.skywatche...loads.php?cat=4

#23 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info.

Bill

#24 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

After talking with Orion they sent a call tag and wanted the mount and controller returned to them . They called me today this morning and said there is a problem in the mount control board. They are sending a brand new mount and new controller with the 3.35 firmware in it. They were. more than willing to fix them problem. He said it is faster to replace the mount rather than spend hours repairing it. They send it back to the manufacture and let them repair it. The service tech said it was in the mount and not the controller. It would take commands from the controller and did what ever it wanted too. Hopefully problem is fixed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics