All metal buildings - v scope storage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

While what I'm describing is not an observatory, it's everything but that.

I'm moving to a small town, not more that 75 houses. It's essentially a rural conglomeration of homes. No local codes or covenants.

I'm thinking of getting a (approx) 10' x 18' building with roll-up doors on each end. The building will store lawnmower, snowblower, motorcycle and telescopes. One end will have the first three items, the other end will be exclusively scopes. When I want to observe, up goes the door and I'll wheel the scope out. I'll probably have some datums placed so I put the scope in the same position each time.

The building will rest on an existing concrete driveway. The idea behind the two doors is access, so one function doesn't interfere with other uses. Both doors open should speed up cooling. All metal building example

What about heating under the sun? Will the inside heat up so much that equipment suffers? Will a thermostatically operated fan alleviate this issue? Comments? Good and bad? I don't like plastic buildings and wood buildings seem to be way more money.

This has to be a compromise in terms of the multi purpose storage use. I really prefer the idea of a roll up door, but maybe I'm all wet. Security is not much of an issue.

Thanks

John

#2 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

When I started my apprenticeship, It was in an all steel building. Even though it was fully insulated, it was like working in an oven in the Summertime. The main problem was that there was no air gap between the insulation & the steel structure for the heat to escape.
If you do use a steel building to store your scope(s), some means (like a fan) will be needed so you don't bake you equipment. Now if your going to roll your scope out onto a concrete pad / driveway that has been exposed to the Sun all day, then you are going to have another problem from the concrete bleeding off the heat that it absorbed all day. I have heard of people that will take their garden hose & wet down the concrete in the evening to cool it down, so maybe that might be an option for you.

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

We don't get any real weather where I live, anything more than a couple drops is a deluge. But, I bet you get weather there. In the last few months at least two guys on the Software Bisque site have had their mounts fried by near lightning strikes. You might factor in lightning protection for your building.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics