is this a good deal IYO?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

I stumbled across this listing and thought about it for a little grab and go and for something my daughter to use at some observing parties while I have my CPC1100 in use.

a few things that concern me is that its 5 years old and the seller stated:

"The scope is about 5 years old. However I've used it with my ex only that I can remember. Then I couldn't get it to work right after that. . . the part that rotates. So the remote part which is why I'm sure it needs new batteries"

If it's batteries then that's an easy enough fix, but I have read that these little ETX's can have some gear issues. I'm afraid if I were to but it and it did have a gear problem, then it wouldn't be under warranty and would cost more to fix than buying a new one (which I see I can get for $249).

http://tampa.craigsl...3876457905.html

#2 dengwer

dengwer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

I think it is a good deal. I just use my and wife's ETX's for moon, planets, and double stars which they excel at. I don't use the goto system because it's easier to just set it up and start observing and push the scope by hand like a dob. Don't need goto to find planets moon and doubles. If that solar filter is an EYEPIECE filter throw it away because it's dangerous. Only use solar filters the cover the main objective lens. The tripod and soft case is almost worth the price.

#3 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I wouldn't go more than $150

#4 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

$150 is where I was thinking myself. the solar filter is the type that covers the main lens. but her estimate is off because I see that same astrozap filter for 40-50 at different places, and while it would be a nice thing to have, I dont know how much I would use the solar filter to be honest.

#5 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

For $200 I don't think I'd chance it on a used scope, especially since you can get a new one for just a bit more. I have an ETX80 that I love, but during it's warranty I did have to have it replaced as it developed problems with the goto.

#6 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I got it for $150. I figured I could risk it for that (1/2 off list) and as it turns out, it does appear to have only been an issues with dead batteries. I have done several "mock" alignments (it's raining of course!) inside and have confirmed it slews great and appears to be pointing to where it thinks it should be. I used my astronomy app to get an idea of where the stars should be in relation to where the scope is pointing and it seems to be pretty close.

hopefully tomorrow I will have clearer skies and can confirm.

so over all I feel I got a decent grab and go scope for $150. only time will tell...

#7 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

That's good news...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics