Table Mountain Star Party 2013

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Day

Jack Day

Vostok 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hey Guys & Gals!

Anyone headed to TMSP this summer? I will be there and once again will be helping with the student telescope making program which is a lot of fun! Even better I am hoping to have first light for my 17.5" scope. Old Coulter mirror that was refigured by Steve Swayze. Also the skies should be much darker and the nights a little longer as it is in August this year... Hope to see some of you there!

#2 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

A lot of us are heading to OSP. Dark skies and less restrictions on arrivals and departures. Unfortunately both Table Mountain and OSP were once again scheduled for the same time period. While OSP is almost always scheduled for August, Table bounces back and forth between July and August.

Let us know how it goes! I'd love to see some pictures.

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

I will see you there Jack! Really looking forward to trying out the new location!

#4 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Here is a good place to start if you are interested in attending at the new Eden Valley site this year.

http://www.tmspa.com/index.html

#5 astronomania

astronomania

Ranger 4

• Loc: Marysville, Wa.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yep, I'll be there. Can't wait!! :)
See ya there Cliff.

#6 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, shame to miss this one. Maybe next year it will be back on the mountain and the moon schedule will be more favorable for the two major NW star parties to have non-conflicting dates.

I wonder if some more BC people might show up as it's an easy drive from parts of Canada?

#7 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle, Washington

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

We are sad to be missing TMSP for the first time in 7 years. It's date conflicts with a couple of family events in August so we decided to go to Golden State in July instead.

The TMSP interim site looks nice and we will return next year where ever TMSP is held.

Best of luck/weather to TMSP 2013 and all those going!

Myles

#8 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I wonder if some more BC people might show up as it's an easy drive from parts of Canada?

Doubtful. To drive to the new site, one drives right past the Mt Kobau star party site. Kobau is a long standing tradition in BC for the die hards. But the locations are so close, if we could attend Kobau this year (cant due to family event schedule conflicts), we would have taken an afternoon to drive down to the new tmsp site and check it out.

#9 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have shown up from time to time (last year and a 2006,07 and 08 trifecta) and may show my ugly face if I can get the optics on my 12.5" ready.

Since it is just over the border from the MKSP, it is possible to pack up and move to the other in a single day.

I plan on using my full size pickup truck and it has a lot of room for stuff.

#10 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I hope things go well at the interm site.

I too am one of those Canuks who will be just North of you up on Kobau. I promise to wave down at you from high up above. It's possible I could make the trip down the mountain but once I'm ensconced that 10 kilometers of dusty washboard often makes me think more than twice about it. Then there is that whole border passport thing. It will probably depend on if others are going to visit and I remember to pack my passport.

Bill

#11 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

I will certainly be there at TMSP, lots of activities and great people, always a good time. The observing field is full, busy and lots of energy and friendly atmosphere. Mt Kobau used to be a good place for me but that road is just disgusting!!! OSP has great skies but my experience there was everyone was spread out, the main observing field had only myself and two others, most scopes were at the owners camping areas, not the community feeling you get at TMSP. All are excelelent places to attend.

If you have a chance to meet Jack Day at TMSP, you will be impressed with his energy and enthusiasm!!!

See you there!!

#12 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I suspect this year's WA Star Party will not greatly resemble past TMSP events due to the new venue. I see a definite difference also in years it overlaps with OSP. I am going, but I am not expecting a typical TMSP atmosphere and experience. I'm not saying it will be better or worse - just necessarily different.

#13 Jack Day

Jack Day

Vostok 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Well a week to go before I will be heading up to TMSP / Eden Valley! Pretty much everything is ready for the student telescope making program. Just finished up the mirror cells for the 5" and 8" scope kits, just need to silicon the mirrors to the cells. All of the wood is cut and the tubes are cut and painted as well. Now I just have to get myself ready! Hope to see some of you there!

Attached Files

#14 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great work, Jack and see you there my friend!

#15 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

I hope it's a raving success in the new location. Isn't it darker than the original site?

#16 Jack Day

Jack Day

Vostok 1

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Tom, I hope so too! I have been to the site twice, and it should be quite a bit darker than the normal site. Several of my observing buddies camp at Lost Lake a few miles away and that is their prediction as well. Another plus is that it should be warmer at night which means people will be able to observe in much more comfort.

#17 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

I see there has been a Clear Sky Chart created for the new site. http://cleardarksky....SP2WAkey.html?1

I think it will be way darker than the old. Perhaps you have found a new/better home.

Bill

#18 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

I might have to attend this next year! I grew tired of the big crowds at Table years ago, and for me it was always too cold. The new site sounds great!

#19 Rocky68d

Rocky68d

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Anacortes, WA USA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'll be coming. It will be my first star party as I've been a lone wolf until this event. I've also been out of the hobby for a number of years so I'll be easy to pick out. Just look for the guy fumbling in the dark, scratching his head trying to figure out what to do next.

#20 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

I'll be coming. It will be my first star party as I've been a lone wolf until this event. I've also been out of the hobby for a number of years so I'll be easy to pick out. Just look for the guy fumbling in the dark, scratching his head trying to figure out what to do next.

That was me a few years ago! I have been to every TMSP since then, plus a whole bunch of other star parties. I will not be attending this year (I will be at Table Mountain though lol). Just relax, try not to set off your car alarm in the middle of the observing field, have fun and don't forget to hit Doyle up for a midnight Philly (yum). :)

Stacy

#21 chasdz

chasdz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Time Laps from Table Mountain Star Party 2013 at Eden Valley

http://youtu.be/ufBWMqj2gFI

Awesome weather and great skies. Come join us. We have lots of space to spread out on.

#22 Al8236

Al8236

Apollo

• Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Wow! that's a bright one coming in at 4sec!

#23 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well? How did it go?

#24 astronomania

astronomania

Ranger 4

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

It went pretty well Stacy. Got two out of the 4 nights for observing. Wed was about 95F and 50F at night. Thursday was close to 100F and same at night.Average transparency and average seeing. very light dew and few mosquitoes just after sundown. It was very dark however with no light domes visible.
Thur night we got an SQM reading @ 2am of 21.65. :cool:
Friday night was a big lightening storm and it rained buckets. I felt sorry for the tent campers. Sat night was completely clouded out after looking good early on.
The site has about twice the room available, but has some slope to it. Russ told me that there were 273 registered. Lots of room!!
The horizons are not bad, with SW-W being blocked by trees to about 15 degrees.

This is looking southwest.

Attached Files

#25 astronomania

astronomania

Ranger 4

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Looking west.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics