SkyShed POD DIY wall supports...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

I found an easy way to offer my SkyShed POD walls a little extra support so they don't sag in the middle of the wall panels under the weight of the dome, especially in the heat of the Arizona sun.
I used 1 1/2 PVC pipe and some 90 degree plates bolted together to allow passage of the dome brackets while rotating. I have photos here: http://carolstargazi...tterfly.com/105

My dome rotates much easier now. I've had my POD for a little more than 2 years now, and love it!!!
Carol

#2 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Staffa , ON

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Thanks Carol,

Very glad you're enjoying your POD!

You should always park your dome with the pivot over a wall join. If you park the dome with the pivot over the middle of a wall for a long time it may bow an 1" in the middle, in the AZ sun.

I see in your photo that the pivot is close the center of the wall panel. Park the dome with the pivot over the wall join, or close to it and the panels will stay level.

Once you park the dome in that position the AZ sun will bring the bowing panel back to factory shape.

I'm not sure if there are hundreds of PODs in AZ but there are plenty. Some are 6 years old. Many owners are members in the POD Yahoo group and they'd be talking about if they were experiencing the problem.

Although I must say if this works for you it certainly won't hurt to leave them be. As long as they're not in your way and they work for you. They're nicely built.

Have Fun!
Wayne

#3 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

Thanks Wayne, I try to park the dome as you suggested. I have found that the supports help keep my walls level enough to rotate the dome so easily even from a seated position, pushing with just one hand.

I spend a great deal of time in my beloved SkyShed POD. I'm so glad you made this wonderful option available to the amateur astronomy community.
Clear skies,
Carol

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Carol; very nice installation of your PVC! :bow: You're quite a "can-do" lady! :)

#5 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks, Carol. I like to tweak with my astro stuff to optimize the performance of them.

In my photo, the wall panel with two posts showing is the back wall of the POD, and that is the rear seam of the dome, not the pivot joint.

Wayne is correct in saying the dome needs to be parked with the pivots joints over the wall seams, Like this: http://carolstargazi...utterfly.com/96 , other wise the wall panels will be stressed. I am careful to always follow Wayne's advise on that issue, and I have form the day I got my POD. I love the material this thing is made of. It can take almost anything!
I have the "Visor" too, and I love that feature..it keeps the wind off of me and my neighbors lights out of my eyepiece, and keeps me warm in the winter! It adds a little more weight to the dome and that might be why I had a bit more trouble with smooth rotation.

#6 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the useful idea Carol.

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Nice Pod, Carol! I'm still waiting for delivery on mine. Being in chilly NY, I doubt I'll have problems with the walls sagging, but it's always good to see these little tips and techniques just in case.

-Dan

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, Carol. I like to tweak with my astro stuff to optimize the performance of them.

In my photo, the wall panel with two posts showing is the back wall of the POD, and that is the rear seam of the dome, not the pivot joint.

Wayne is correct in saying the dome needs to be parked with the pivots joints over the wall seams, Like this: http://carolstargazi...utterfly.com/96 , other wise the wall panels will be stressed. I am careful to always follow Wayne's advise on that issue, and I have form the day I got my POD. I love the material this thing is made of. It can take almost anything!
I have the "Visor" too, and I love that feature..it keeps the wind off of me and my neighbors lights out of my eyepiece, and keeps me warm in the winter! It adds a little more weight to the dome and that might be why I had a bit more trouble with smooth rotation.

Enjoying our observatories to the fullest, is what it's all about; and you certainly are doing just that! It's great to read about others tweaks and additions! :bow:

#9 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Dan, it's an exciting time for you; and we expect a full first light report when your POD arrives!

#10 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

Yes, Dan, make sure you give us an update when you receive your pod and a chance to observe in it. I'll never forget how excited I was when that delivery truck arrived with mine.

#11 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hi Carol,

Good to see someone who is as happy as I am (and just about every other Pod owner) with their Pod.
Many thanks for passing on such a great tip.

Regards. Peter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics