• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Mayslick KY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have been working with The Sky 6 for over 10 years now (started out with Sky 5) or so and have always used it primarily as a pretty star chart software app often using it in conjunction with printed charts. This was a handy way to have over kill in finding whatever you were looking for, at least for me.

Recently I have been using and trying to learn how EQMOD integrates with the Sky 6 and have come up with a workable procedure but it still is lacking in one very specific way: after I perform a 3 star alignment with my Atlas EQ-G mount (HC version 3.34) I load up Sky 6 and connect to the scope. It connects, but will be about 15 to 20 arc seconds away from the last alignment star. In order to "sync" the Sky with the mount or mount with the Sky 6, I tell Sky 6 to slew to the last alignment star that I am still on in the scope which then moves the scope off of the star. I then go to the mount and unlock the RA and Dec locks and move the scope by hand to center the star again. After doing this once, my goto's in Sky 6 are great on whichever side of the meridian I happen to be on at the time of the manual move but even if I go all the way across the sky to another object using The Sky 6 to slew the scope, the new object is usually somewhere in the field of view. I can then do the same thing as with the last alignment star and move the mount without the use of the motors and my goto's are spot on.

What can possibly be causing the Sky 6 to report that it is not centered on that last alignment star? I have verified that time, date, and position are correct in both the scope/EQMOD and TheSky6. I would really like to know how to fix this as using the Sky 6 in my observatory has been great but it takes awhile to get going with the procedure every time I observe. I am also awaiting a new CCD camera and would like to be able to slew, focus and image without having to touch the scope.
Thanks for any and all help with this. :bow:

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

When you point Sky6 at the last alignment star, your scope should not be connected to Sky6. In other words, your scope should not be pulled along by Sky6 software when Sky6 goes to the last alignment star and centers upon it.

Align your scope in the normal manner without being connected to Sky6. Without having your scope connected to Sky6, point the Sky6 software to the last alignment star. Now connect the Sky6 to your scope and click on "Sync". The result is that your scope is pointing at the last alignment star and so is the software, and they are both synced together in agreement on this.

This is just one example of how to do it. I use StarryNight Pro and you can actually connect the scope and software together (after the scope has been aligned independently) and then sync them together whenever you want. The key is to make sure that you first align the scope manually in the usual manner without using the software to control the scope when doing initial alignment of the scope to the stars. Then make sure that both the scope and the software program are pointing at the same object when you Sync them together. After that, they should function together beautifully!

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Your problem is that you are tying to use both the hand control AND EQMOD. That is NOT the way it works. Put the HC in PC Direct mode (if you don't have an EQDIR cable), and do the alignment with EQMOD. Do not mess with the HC buttons. You sync at least three stars with EQMOD, and you are done. I think you could gain a lot by watching the EQMOD instructional videos on Youtube...

;)

#4 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks to both of you!!! This gives me some ideas about the current set up that I have but once the cable from shoestring gets here then I will have to use EQMOD to align. Which brings me to the next issue.

I tried to use a PS3 HC to control the scope but EQMOD does not see it. The laptop sees it but it doesn't alow me to calibrate in control panel(windows). I got the PS3 off the recommendation of the yahoo site which said that it would work. Any ideas or suggestions on this Mr. Molise?

I planned my day today for watching the youtube videos on my wide screen TV and will be taking copious notes while doing so.

I think once all the bugs(ME) have been worked out, this is going to be like a dream come true.

Again, thanks mucho for the replies!! :bow:

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Never tried a PS3 joystick. You might ask the question on the EQMOD Yahoogroup. I use a cheap wireless gamepad I got in the dadgum Walmart. ;)

#6 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Just got back from wally world a bit ago after buying a game pad for a PC. Hooked it up and it worked great!!! Also got CDC to recognize the mount and slewed it about a bit using the sky chart. No idea if it was doing anything correctly as the roof was still on.... :confused:.. Good stuff that EQASCOM is!! :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics