Photo

PBG Observatory - My Exploradome Adventure!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 SFGagnon

SFGagnon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carrollton, VA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

This is a blind job, so the little scrap of wood was shoved behind the ring so that I could get the retaining ring to a uniform height.

Attached Files

#52 SFGagnon

SFGagnon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Still waiting for the pier (and the door...), but it's enough that it can be used on a temporary basis. An C-11 on a CGEM will call this home, along with a couple of smaller siblings.

Attached Files

#53 SFGagnon

SFGagnon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

And that's where things sit now. I've already gotten 'lost' in the dome a couple of times. It's odd looking at the sky through a slit. I'm also happy to report that no dew has formed on the scope's corrector so far! It's also funny that it's roomy and crowded inside at the same time. Some of that will be fixed once the tripod goes away, but all that space that's under the roof but not the dome?? NICE... I'm already planning on building a desk that runs the length of one of the walls. What am I most excited about? I'll finally have someplace to put my glasses!

If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. They'll be a few additional updates as the pier (and door...) make an appearance.

Clear skies to all and my apologies to my fellow astronomer in my part of the world. I'm afraid that my construction will be affecting the weather for months to come!

Attached Files

#54 sewhite

sewhite

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's looking good! Thanks for sharing your build. :cool:
What pier are you planning on using?

Stan

#55 SFGagnon

SFGagnon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's looking good! Thanks for sharing your build. :cool:
What pier are you planning on using?

Stan

Not a problem! I've learned so much from this forum that it was only appropriate that I gave something back.

The pier is being built by a local shop. Nothing fancy. It'll be about 4' worth of 10" schedule 5 pipe (if I can get it) welded to a couple of 1/2" steel plates.

#56 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

For someone who's never done construction before you've done an impressive job. Better, I'm sure, than I would have done. I have been considering ED for some time now and this helps to confirm my plans. Thanks for sharing. Job well done.

#57 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think that's the funniest building log I've ever read. Thanks for sharing :) and enjoy your observatory, it looks very pretty.

#58 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. You did a very nice job on the obs. Congrats.

#59 MikeCatfin

MikeCatfin

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great read, wonderful job on the ED.

#60 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for sharing.

#61 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I too had a few laughs and some major grins while reading your thread...
When I read that you were 3/8 of an inch out of square I almost fell off my chair..(said to myself wait until he gets to install the roof panels!)

My ED was one of the first dozen or so ever sold and many of us very early buyers had trouble with the roof panels....it was easy however to install the panels IF the ring was not mounted solidly in place so that you could move the ring around so that the roof panels fit the edge of the building with about a 3/4 inch space to install a drip edge...Then go back inside and screw the ring down nice and solid...( My ring like all the original ones needed to handcrafted by the buyer out of wood ...

Mine is elevated 8 foot off the ground so I knew I would have some trouble mounting the dome itself So I hired (#120.00) a local sign company to bring their "crane" and drop it in place...

Good job...and IF you are as happy with yours AS I AM with mine...you will be able to enjoy it problem free for years ...

Bob G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics