Photo

*sigh* Gotta sell the AVX... which ALT/AZ??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I love the AVX mount. Once I had it dialed in, I was golden. But I have too many trees around my back yard. Its a chore to get it aligned and ready to roll. For the past 5 weeks I have been using my GNG setup for all my viewing. So what does that tell you?? Gotta move on.

So the AVX is up for sale. So what alt/az mount should I be looking at to replace it? I have the Vixen Porta holding my ED80 f/7.5. I still have my Orion 90mm f/10 tube. So what is a step up from the Vixen as far as sturdiness?? I need a point and go mount, but as heavy-duty as the AVX was.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

#2 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I just got a used WO Easy Touch Alt-Az, and it's excellent! See the post I just created.

#3 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Pics would be nice.

I am kinda heartbroken over the AVX. It was a nice mount!! It is the hottest technology I ever possessed in the astro hobby.

#4 mrowlands

mrowlands

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: WI

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi Steve,

What I'm interpreting here is that it's too much hassle to align the scope per the manual at your observing site (back yard?). But you'll have that problem no matter what kind of tracking mount you get.

So look at this another way... All you have to do is set the DEC sometime while the scope is level. After that, you can plop it down in the back yard, use a compass to aim it (if you can't see Polaris), and then make sure it's level. Just loosen the clutches a bit and move it manually. If the scope is balanced, it'll track fine when you let go. Then use the hand control for fine control. You'd be amazed how well this works for visual!

In other words, use it as a manual tracking mount, but the GoTo (and alignment hassles) will always be there if you want.

Mike R.

#5 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

A pic has been posted, Steve.

#6 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks!!

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Desert Sky Astro: DSV-1 or DSV-2 or DSV-3.

I have the DSV-1 and DSV-3. I like them much better than my Vixen Porta or Takahashi Teegul. The DSV-3 can be optioned with encoders so that you can add a Sky Commander and enjoy accurate push-to.

These are not overly expensive mounts, either; just a hair more than mass-produced units like the Vixen or Twilight II.

DSV-3:

Posted Image

Regards,

Jim

#8 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Steve, there is absolutely no reason to sell the AVX! Just use it as a manual GEM when you're in the back yard! All you'd need to do is just roughly align the RA axis to the celestial pole,and then let the RA drive do the rest! If the image drifts, just use the manual DEC adjust on the hand control to bring it back in.

Too easy! :D

#9 Kendahl

Kendahl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Won't All Star Polar Alignment work for you?

At home, we set up on our driveway. One time, after getting a good polar alignment, I marked the position of each tripod foot with a magic marker. Ever since, we just set the feet on the marks and we are polar aligned well enough for visual. If we set up on the lawn, I would mark the foot positions with small stakes driven deep enough to clear the lawn mower blades.

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Skywatcher AZ4 is quite solid. Not going to compete with VX for stability though. VX certainly can be used manually if you really need a 35lb mount for your small refractors.

#11 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a pretty limited view from my balcony, but its still possible to do an ASPA. Just keep rejecting the recommended stars for alignment. And choose stars that you CAN see.

#12 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

I agree with Mike R. It took a few times for me to trust it, but you can always do a "Quick Align" (read: no real alignment), then point and sync. I typically do this for solar or when the moon is up for viewing while waiting for the sky to darken for a real alignment. On a good day and with luck, I can keep the object in a 20mm eyepiece for a good 30 minutes using this technique.

#13 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

yeah one does not need to do a perfect align for visual on celestron EQ mounts. i've done solar system aligns on the moon and planets in daytime before and tracking was good enough for visual use and goto's got me in the area.

as for doing a more proper alignment with no polaris in view, my suggestion would be to first do an alignment and ASPA where you do have enough sky, maybe at a park. make sure your mount is leveled accurately. this will make sure you have a pretty close ALT setting for your location on the mount, after that all you need to do is make sure your leveled good and use a compass to point north and a 2+4 will get you great goto's from there on out.

my backyard is pretty small and has lots of trees and i often end up skipping stars in an alignment because they are not in view, i'm fortunate that polaris is in view but i don't do anymore than make sure its centered visually down my polar axis bore, sometimes i even forget to do that, i just know where to point the north leg of my mount because i've set it up so many times.

#14 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Well, after reading through all the above replies (thank you!!) I am gonna downsize for the time being. I am using my GNG scope all the time now. In the future, I may take a hard look at this type of scope again, but not right now.

I decided to list it on ebay and see what becomes of it. Maybe it won't sell and I will be stuck with it. We shall see.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics