Photo

Detail from the Pelican Nebula, IC 5070

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

This is a section of the Pelican Nebula, IC 5070. It was taken last night with the almost full moon.

As usual, it was imaged with my Celestron 8" using a f/6.3 focal reducer adapter on an Orion Atlas Mount. The camera is a SBIG STF-8300m with Baader filters. It was guided using an SBIG ST-i color through an Orion 50mm guider with helical focuser. Acquisition was done using Sequence Generator Pro. Processing was done using PixInsight (and just a touch of Photoshop CS6 at the end).

This is a total of 5 hours of exposure (21x10m Ha, 6x5m of RGB each).

Detail from the Pelican Nebula on Astrobin

Attached Files

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I love this area - there's a Herbig-Haro object in there at top of long slender dark column (on the upper mashed potato pile). Unsure if same on the lower one been a while since I deep analysis of the area. Lots interesting but another thing I've noticed is that if you look, there is a miniature pelican head in there! Cool or what?

Beautiful image. A tiny touch on the dark point might help the dust show up more (this are is full of dust of varying density.)though you have a great amount of detail as is. Nice work :) I have a NB version of the area in my gallery I was happy with if you want something to compare.

#3 JJK

JJK

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Nice image! The nebulosity in the middle of the frame has the appearance of depth.

#4 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Very nice image. Stars look good, there is plenty of detail, color is fine. Overall an excellent image. Yhe only thing I would do is increase to contrast quite a bit to make the nebula more vibrant. Now the red is a buit dark and dull. This nebula can take a boost quite well. it will also make the dark areas stand out better.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thanks guys. :) CounterWeight, your version is just gorgeous. Following the excellent advice, I have boosted the contrast in Photoshop by using curves. So here is a 2nd version.

Attached Files

#6 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Much better

#7 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Very nice

#8 PenumbraX

PenumbraX

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Looks great Madratter. :)

#9 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thanks! Like JJK mentioned, I like the feeling of depth you get in this area. Even some of the stars seem to be hanging in space in front of it (which they are).

#10 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Like it! Those touches helped nicely - can imagine what you are seeing there at full resolution :) !

In Photoshop I like to play with the 'canned' HDR or shadows/highlights curves just to see what happens when the data is pushed to excess, then back it down. Another variation is to play with the color auto contrast. I'm always amazed at what finishing touches Photoshop can bring to the table. Then there's operations like the unsharp masking and color noise filtering... I wonder if sometimes I play with the data more time than it takes to capture it. That to me is an interesting consequence of getting good data in the post processing path, can be just as much effort as trying to fix marginal data but the techniques and results are very different. You've a great image to experiment on here :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics