Photo

Handset nor Nexremote sync with other programs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

own a Cellestron 11 inch SCT on an alt/az mount. Once I get a good alignment, it slews to any object that I choose with either the handset or Nexremote. However, when I connect to SkySafari for my Ipad, Astroplanner, Skytools3, Stellarium of Cartes du Ciel, it NEVER slews to the exact same place as Nexremote or my handset. I thought that my scope was out of balance but it is balanced. I test it with Polaris. I get a good alignment and slew to Polaris and have Polaris centered. I then connect to any of the above mentioned programs and even while on Polaris, I slew to Polaris again and Polaris is usually within the FOV but it is never centered. It will be quite a bit off. I have tried this with each of the programs and its the same thing. What could be wrong. Some of the programs ask whether to use J2000 or Jnow. I always choose Jnow. I use the GPS of my scope to put in my home coordinates in each of the programs. I am baffled.

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

Look at the Ra and Dec positions that the objects are at when you slew to them
using the HC and the scope control programs. It's available through the menu on
the HC.

You will probably find that the positions are different and that this accounts
for the differences you are seeing.

As for why they are different, that depends. What HC version are you using?

Chris

#3 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

You could try posting the question in "Astronomy Software and Computers". Mention Skysafari in the title and perhaps Bill from Southernstars will chime in. Have you tried disabling "use time and location" (or something like that) under settings in the app? I believe there are a couple different areas in the menu to do this. I believe one is under "scope settings" and that MAY be the one you want to try. I think it disables the apps location info and uses the scopes info instead.

#4 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Although I have not contacted Software Astronomy, I have tried it using the software coordinates and the mount's coordinates but it makes no difference.

#5 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

I have the same issues as Jimmy. When using CdC or Sky Safari, similarly always get some slightly off-target slews. I usually sync with CdC or SkySafari to make sure its accurate with Nexremote/HC... but the slews are usually slightly off target. When using F4/5 focal reduction on the SCTs its not that big a deal as I can easily re-center the object... but it is annoying and if I am trying F10 or higher for planets, then fuggetaboutit... Also have decent balance, so who knows why its not precise... I just chalk it up to my setup (CPC+CGEM) just not being the top-end type mounts, so I do not have very high expectations...

Al

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

There are a couple of possibilities here:

1. If the telescope lands on the target, but the cursor in the program is "off," just use the program's sync option (NOT sync on the HC).

2. If the HC puts objects in the field of the eyepiece, but a go-to from the software does not, the problem is a conflict between the data in the program and the data in the HC.

Usually Jnow vice J2000 is not a problem. I would only worry about that if I'd checked everything else. The current Celestron firmware calculates object positions for Jnow. Check to see what your program is doing (often there is a choice of Jnow or J2000 that you can exercise).

Much more likely is a conflict between the site data and the data in the HC. The time, lat, lon, time-zone, and DST offset in the HC and the program must agree.

;)

#7 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

I think its the latter problem. How do you get both the mount and the software to agree?
Jim

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I think its the latter problem. How do you get both the mount and the software to agree?
Jim

Very easy. You enter the same information in both. Be careful and check it carefully. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics