Handset settings?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hey guys & gals. I am trying to get my mount to act correctly. Here are my handset settings. Please let me know whether these are the right settings. Thanks.
Jim

SETUP
Cordwrap - On
Direction Button - Reverse
Filter Limits - 85 degrees - Alt Max 10 degrees - Alt Min
Slew Limits - same as above
Anti-Backlash - Azm Positive -35 Alt Negative - 35

UTILITIES
GPS - On
Sun Menu - On
Version - HC:NXS 4.21 MC:5.14
Keypad Level - 0-8 8
Set Mount Position - after alignment

Tracking - Alt/Az

#2 FXDX

FXDX

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Good old Europe

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

you should set in backlash Azm negative and Alt positive both 35 also then.

:)

#3 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

What difference will that make?

#4 FXDX

FXDX

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Good old Europe

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

hello jimmy,

it´s an advice i can reade in my manual. perhaps you check again in your`s. same procedure should be explained there.

holger

#5 zuben122

zuben122

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

There is no "right" setting as the settings are a combination of user preference, how the 'scope is setup and the nature of your observing location. But the manual is pretty clear as to what they all mean and how to adjust them.

#6 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

How about the goto approach. I know that the alt should be negative but what about the az - should that also be negative.
Thanks.
Jim

#7 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

As far as I know, the approach should be UP and to the RIGHT. Not sure how that translates to hand control settings, eg; pos/neg.

#8 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

I have my direction button for the alt. on reverse so that when I move the mount in my finder scope at low speeds (6 and under) the arrow keys will move the star in the same direction of the arrow that I press. Since I know I should move the goto approach RIGHT and up, with the direction button reversed in alt, should I be moving the star LEFT and up. Thanks.

#9 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

That's a good question. I'm not sure if the GoTo approach setting correlates with any changes you make to the directional button settings. There may be a better way, but my advice is to set your direction buttons to the factory setting, and switch your GoTo approach to UP and RIGHT, then actually slew to a couple targets and observe the motion of the OTA, and your target in the FOV. Make note of what you see. THEN, go back and switch the direction button setting to your liking and repeat the procedure. If RIGHT yields LEFT on the directional buttons AND the GoTo approach stays UP and RIGHT, you have your answer.

I tend to do/visualize things the hard way, so there may be a more straightforward method.

#10 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I put the question to Celestron. They should get back to me in a week. If I use the factory setting of "normal" without a diagonal, when I press the right arrow key at settings of 6 or below, the star (mount) moves to the left! I have been using the UP and Rigt motions for a while but I want to know for sure.
Jim
Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics