• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PenumbraX

PenumbraX

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

At the beginning of June I headed over to Eastern Washington to the lovely Palouse area for a graduation and brought my gear. Luckily the weather was also really nice and the nights were great! This image was taken over two nights in a Grey zone. I'm thinking that it still needs some tweaking (possibly around the core area) but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with it.

It's amazing how much more detail can be captured at a dark site and I'm looking forward (weather permitting) to doing some more when I head back for the July 4th weekend.
I just need to figure out what to image next...

Enjoy! Critiques welcome.

Total Integration time: 8.7 hours
L: 11x600" -25C bin 1x1
L: 24x300" -25C bin 1x1
R: 18x300" -25C bin 1x1
G: 18x300" -25C bin 1x1
B: 22x300" -25C bin 1x1

All processing was done in PixInsight.

Posted Image

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Nice!

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Very nice dust clouds. I like it :).

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Nothing short of wonderful result here - way to go! Nice job in the post processing, preserving all that cold dust and the dark patches, good star colors - it all works, wonderful dimensional depth and look. Wish I could get one anything like this I'd be extremely happy, congratulations :) I'm curious what might result from a slight color noise reduction or edge preserving smoothing on those dust layers / features. Often if I see something blown out these days I look at doing a different initial stretch, either a DDP or combination of log and linear - but that is using MaxImDL, I'm sure there's something similar in PI but couldn't help there.

#5 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Beautiful!! :bow: Spent many nights driving highway 26 with no gear and clear sky, then when I had the gear, no sky! Great zone for imaging when you hit it right!

#6 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hi,

Very nice image indeed. Though it looks a bit as if the upper right side of the image has a greenish cast. Other than that minor remark, a great image. Excellent detail and depth. Wonderful star colors.

Wouter.

#7 PenumbraX

PenumbraX

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Jim - I think there are those tools in PI. I tried to do a very light DBE correction. I didn't want to try to over do it and remove any of the dust. I'll try it again and see. :)

Wouter - I'll take a look at that and see what I can do. :)

Robert - I don't usually take Hwy 26 when I go over but I did recently and kept thinking to myself how awesome it would be to image from there.

#8 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Impressive image. I wish I could get that dust from my observatory.

-Bill

#9 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

That is so amazingly cool :bow:. It makes me want to load up my gear and drive across Texas to get to find a grey zone. I don't think there are any more black zones even though the old LP maps show some.

By the way, what are you doing posting that picture in this forum? It is worthy of the CCD forum. Thanks for inspiring (and torturing :)) us.

#10 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Robert - I don't usually take Hwy 26 when I go over but I did recently and kept thinking to myself how awesome it would be to image from there.

I spent about 10 years driving to Moscow ID, every other weekend. I've thought that somewhere near Palouse Falls would be good. I've often wondered about Steptoe Butte as well :) but I'm thinking near Palouse falls would be better away from Pulman/Moscow and Lewiston/Clarkston.

#11 PenumbraX

PenumbraX

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

By the way, what are you doing posting that picture in this forum? It is worthy of the CCD forum. Thanks for inspiring (and torturing ) us.

Thank for the kind words. :) I still think I'm a beginner at this hobby though (been doing this < 6 months). And I still think I have a lot to learn.

I've often wondered about Steptoe Butte as well

I've thought about that too but I know it can get really windy up there but the views would be fantastic.

#12 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I still think I'm a beginner at this hobby though (been doing this < 6 months). And I still think I have a lot to learn.

I think it bears out what a lot of my advice here is geared to - start with equipment made for astro-imaging and you will get better results - every time.

Once you get the basics of you are doing that is... my first images were painful, I keep them to remind me. Even with imaging rated gear it takes a lot of time and patience.

When I advise folks to get imaging gear to image with and that they will soon have 'keepers', I'm serious. ;)

#13 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I still think I'm a beginner at this hobby though (been doing this < 6 months). And I still think I have a lot to learn.

I think it bears out what a lot of my advice here is geared to - start with equipment made for astro-imaging and you will get better results - every time.

Once you get the basics of you are doing that is... my first images were painful, I keep them to remind me. Even with imaging rated gear it takes a lot of time and patience.

When I advise folks to get imaging gear to image with and that they will soon have 'keepers', I'm serious. ;)

Isn't that the truth. An example for myself is the mount that I recently got (an Atlas). It is a huge improvement over my CG-5 and I'm getting much more consistent results with the focal length I normally shoot (1260mm). I knew it would make a difference, but even then it made more of a difference than I thought it would.

I shot the Rosette Nebula with my unmodded DSLR before I got my STF-8300m. I don't care how good my technique was otherwise, that unmodded camera limited what was achievable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics