Photo

ES 100 caps leaving smudges - impacting reviews?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 DHurst

DHurst

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

I solved the problem with a Kim Wipe stuffed into the cap

Forgive me... but that's not a solution! Sounds like a way to cause more problems! The bottom cap should protect the field lens! Bottom line!

Be careful, the lens is very close to the bottom of the ES20 barrel!

Just give them a call if you have an issue.
I feel assured ES has and will respond appropriately! :)

#27 vonuscyg

vonuscyg

Lift Off

• Loc: Southern CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

I have the same smudging problem with my 20mm 100* ES eyepiece. I cleaned it off, and under normal house lighting, it looked sparkling clean.
However, when I was observing at my dark sky location, I was able to see a faint smudge on the field lens under the subdued light of my red flashlight. It appears that the lens cap may have left a permanent, but ghostly stain.
I doubt it affects the views though.

#28 slack

slack

Messenger

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Forgive me... but that's not a solution! Sounds like a way to cause more problems! The bottom cap should protect the field lens! Bottom line!

It may not be a solution, but it's less likely to cause more problems than a replacement non-smudging bottom plastic cap that is in still in contact with the field lens. After all, KimWipes are widely used by professionals to clean the finest and costliest optics.

#29 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

A hard cap like the ones from Televue don't flex, so they won't touch the field lens. I think I paid $2 for mine.

#30 Matt Wallin

Matt Wallin

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

The field lenses arent' right *at* the bottom, it's just that the rubber cup flexes that much! A rigid cap would definitely fix the problem. IMHO, having ANYTHING, even a pro-grade cleaning cloth, in constant contact with my optics seems to just be asking for trouble, it may have worked for you so far, but why use a method with such potential for damage? One piece of grit, landing in the wrong place, vibrating against my field lens every mile of rough road I drive? No, thanks.

#31 Matt Wallin

Matt Wallin

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just put in a quick call to ES, they we eager to send me new bottom caps for my ES82 and ES100s, free of charge. Gotta love that, standing behind your products! Thanks ES!

#32 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

It may not be a solution, but it's less likely to cause more problems than a replacement non-smudging bottom plastic cap that is in still in contact with the field lens. After all, KimWipes are widely used by professionals to clean the finest and costliest optics.

That's right, Slack. Anyone that's ever used a Kim Wipe knows that. I do the same with my 17mm Ethos. Plus, those yellow EyepieceCaps are better than losing another black cap in the dark or wasting perfectly good observing time looking for one in the grass. ;)

#33 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have the same smudging problem with my 20mm 100* ES eyepiece. I cleaned it off, and under normal house lighting, it looked sparkling clean.
However, when I was observing at my dark sky location, I was able to see a faint smudge on the field lens under the subdued light of my red flashlight. It appears that the lens cap may have left a permanent, but ghostly stain.
I doubt it affects the views though.

Try ROR (ror.net). It will safely clean the glass down to the coatings, leaving no stain behind.

#34 DHurst

DHurst

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

The field lenses arent' right *at* the bottom, it's just that the rubber cup flexes that much! A rigid cap would definitely fix the problem...

I measured 5mm from the bottom edge of the barrel to the center of the field lens. *at* is relative! I don't know about you, but to me half a centimeter is pretty tight! Just got my cap from ES today. It's no TV cap but way more rigid than the orig.

#35 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

I hate to say this, but people really need to stop complaining about this and just contact ES about it....they will send you any free bottom caps you need free of charge if you can prove you own any of the three focal lengths in the 100 degree series. It's a bottom cap and an easy fix if you think about it.

Heck, you could even order one from Agena Astro for next to nothing !!! C'mon people, it's not that big of a deal really. They know they made a mistake and are helping everybody out they can. The people that work at ES who have contacted me have been very polite and the customer service has been over the top for me personally!!!

Cheers,

#36 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

I checked to see if the soft cap on the bottom of the eyepiece was in contact with the field lens. Sure enough it had been, and had left a fairly good-sized smudge.

I hope this was just an anomaly. Anyone else have this problem?

#37 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

I checked to see if the soft cap on the bottom of the eyepiece was in contact with the field lens. Sure enough it had been, and had left a fairly good-sized smudge.

I see where ES has changed the caps, and sent customers new ones at no charge. Case closed?

#38 russell23

russell23

Aurora

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yes. When I picked up a used 14mm ES100 it came with a smudge just like the photo shown on this thread. It cleaned up and I switched to a hard cap and then there was no problem.

Dave

#39 vonuscyg

vonuscyg

Lift Off

• Loc: Southern CA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

I received a replacement lens cap from ES today, only two days after requesting it. That was quick.

The new, hard cap is on the left. It seems to fit even looser than the original soft cap, and it doesn't look as well made as the soft one. Hmmm, I might just keep using the original caps, being careful to place the eyepiece eye lens end first into the eyepiece case. I suspect in the cold of the observing nights, the caps would fall off even easier.

Thanks Don for the ROR advice.

Attached Files

#40 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't ever use eyepiece caps ever. The ocular case when closed is dust proof and has desiccant to insure dryness. I'd never cap my oculars particularly where it could conceivably have air that's moist trapped under the cap even the the case is desiccant dry.

Pete

#41 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I don't ever use eyepiece caps ever. The ocular case when closed is dust proof and has desiccant to insure dryness. I'd never cap my oculars particularly where it could conceivably have air that's moist trapped under the cap even the the case is desiccant dry.

Pete

All well and good unless the foam in your case hits the bottom and top lenses on your eyepieces.

#42 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Pete

I've been using eyepiece caps for years without any problems. I'd never put eyepieces in my case without putting caps on them ever. Dust is everywhere and can accumulate....especially on a cold eyepiece after an observing session and after it warms up.

Cheers,

#43 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've replaced most of mine with televue caps as the ES ones kept falling off.

Same here. I think any eyepiece with a negative element on the bottom should be stored horizontally.

Attached Files

#44 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I haven't used eyepiece caps in 7 or 8 years. I used to put each eyepiece into its own bolt case. When I got tired of that--I would spend 20 minutes sorting out eyepieces and bolt cases--I made an eyepiece box and just stick the eyepieces in the box. When it's closed up they're not getting any dust.

#45 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

Pete

All well and good unless the foam in your case hits the bottom and top lenses on your eyepieces.

No, no foam. It's a gunk collector. My eyepieces are free range like God wants 'em to be. No caps, no foam.

#46 DHurst

DHurst

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I've replaced most of mine with televue caps as the ES ones kept falling off.

Same here. I think any eyepiece with a negative element on the bottom should be stored horizontally.

Got to love the TV sticker next to an ES ep! :o

#47 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

TeleScientific?

#48 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Got to love the TV sticker next to an ES ep! :o

True confessions.

#49 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I emailed ES and asked about replacement lens caps for my 3 ES100's. They sent them right out; unfortunately, these new ones fall off same as the old ones.
I appreciate that they sent free replacements, and I'm not going to ask them to do it again. I'll probably take Don P's advice and order some caps from OPT for $3 each. He says they fit right.

But my thanks to ES for acting so quickly - their intentions were good. They probably ought to find a new cap supplier, though.

#50 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

I rechecked my ES eyepieces and found that the 30 had a big smudge in the center of the lens. I cleaned it and took the hard plastic cap from my Barlow to replace the soft cap which I put on the Barlow.
Barry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics