CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Info. needed for tMeade LX5 2120 10 in. sct scope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 taki53

taki53

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

:question:Hi. I just picked this up at a yard sale for 200.00. It looked good and for 200.00 what the heck! I know it's an older model but I can't seem to find any info. on it. Can anybody give me some info. on it if you have? Like when was it made? Did I over pay? What would be the f ratio? Can I use it for astrophotography? Can I locate a manual? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• Loc: Antelope, Oregon

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

:question:Hi. I just picked this up at a yard sale for 200.00. It looked good and for 200.00 what the heck! I know it's an older model but I can't seem to find any info. on it. Can anybody give me some info. on it if you have? Like when was it made? Did I over pay? What would be the f ratio? Can I use it for astrophotography? Can I locate a manual? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It's a decent SCT. It's an f/10. Made in the late 80s (1987 is the release year I think, just before the dawn of computer-driven mounts). The optics from Meade for that era were pretty good as well. For $200 I believe you got yourself a nice deal. Of course, that's depending on what condition it's in. Did it come with a tripod or anything else as well?

Most any decent SCT will permit you to do a fair bit of astrophotography with it using a DSLR or reasonably inexpensive CCD camera.

#3 bhess5

bhess5

Lift Off

• Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

There is a Meade LX3-LX5-LX6 group on yahoo that has loads of information that should help you, including manuals.

#4 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you decide you don't want it, send me a PM...

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

You can view or download the Meade LX5 2120 manual here. Good Luck with your new scope ... you got a great buy!

#6 scopethis

scopethis

Cosmos

• Loc: Kingman, Ks

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

if I remember those Meade ads correctly, those scope had a lifetime warranty

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes, for the LX3's optics and the original owner only. When I called meade about a secondary only for a LX3 2120 they offered to upgrade it to f/8 ACF for only $850. Funny, they didn't inquire as to whether I was the original owner. Anyway, a CN member sold me a LX200 corrector with the secondary for $95. After removing the secondary, I eBayed the corrector netting $90 and gave the LX3's secondary, which needed to be totally stripped and recoated for about (quote $75} and the extra secondary cell to a CN member in need. The LX3's now one of the few 2120s in Brazil.

#8 orion61

orion61

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes, for the LX3's optics and the original owner only. When I called meade about a secondary only for a LX3 2120 they offered to upgrade it to f/8 ACF for only $850. Funny, they didn't inquire as to whether I was the original owner. Anyway, a CN member sold me a LX200 corrector with the secondary for $95. After removing the secondary, I eBayed the corrector netting $90 and gave the LX3's secondary, which needed to be totally stripped and recoated for about (quote $75} and the extra secondary cell to a CN member in need. The LX3's now one of the few 2120s in Brazil.

Lifetime was only on the MCSCOG Silvered secondary coatings,(they tarnished) 1 yr was normal Warranty at the time.

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Did more than tarnish. I've had them with the coating bubbling up off the chrome undercoat.

#10 dwitek

dwitek

Mariner 2

• Loc: White Lake, Michigan

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I had an 8" version of that scope, my first real scope after introduction to astronomy with a small refractor that I used to learn basics and star hopping. I added electronic aids with the NGCmax digital encoders and computer. I thought the optics were fantastic and I would love to have an 8" that good in my collection again on a GEM. I would've paid more that $200 just for the OTA so I think that is a great deal.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics