Photo

Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have mounted my CGE in my observatory, and now considering selling the tripod. Will this hurt me when later upgrading and selling the CGE mount, or would it be easier to sell without the tripod

#2 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I've bought many smaller GEMs and alt-az's and sold the tripod, and then subsequently sold the head. I did not notice any difficulties in selling stuff this way, and may even have made a few pennies viz selling head and tripod together. Some people want wooden rather than the metal tripods and so are happy receiving a head-only and not paying shipping on the tripod. Other folk need a tripod for other projects, and so are happy to pick up a "spare".

I cannot comment on how my experience translates with a bigger GEM like the CGE.

#3 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

The tripod can be useful if you ever want to take your rig to a destination star party. I only move my AP900GTO for trips like GSSP or OSP.

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

The CGE has been out of production for years. There won't be any replacement tripods available from stock. The CGE has a unique mounting arrangement and there has never been an alternative tripod available that would accept a CGE. A CGE with no tripod would be a hard sell.

#5 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Is the tripod taking up that much space, or are funds really that tight? Keep it, someday you'll be glad for having done so.

#6 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I guess I'll keep it. I've just been on selling binge lately to clear some stuff out. I think I'm a hobby hoarder! My hobby room is started to have the "stack and aisle" look! But, where as those hoaders have stacks of junk. My stacks constist of 1/4 scale RC helis, High end tube audio gear, Fender guitars, and apo refractors! You get the idea.

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I just recently sold one of my CGE mounts without a tripod. I did have a pier adapter for it, and that helped. A fair number of people pier-mount the CGE since it is on the heavy side for mobile use, so it is not impossible to sell one without a tripod, especially if you have a pier adapter that you can sell with it.

#8 David81

David81

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

I just recently sold one of my CGE mounts without a tripod. I did have a pier adapter for it, and that helped. A fair number of people pier-mount the CGE since it is on the heavy side for mobile use, so it is not impossible to sell one without a tripod, especially if you have a pier adapter that you can sell with it.

I'll second that...as I was the one that bought it :)

I was quite happy to purchase without the tripod as it was going to go straight to a pier in the observatory. Others may feel the opposite, but there are definitely those that have no need for a tripod on the larger mounts.

#9 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

My thinking was that the mount itself will be very expensive to ship. That big heavy tripod doesn't help the shpping issue. I'd like to sell it locally.

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Some day you'll get a better mount. But you'll keep what you have for portable purposes; and eventually you'll pick up another scope, and realize that is the one you want to use on the CGE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics