ETX-LS6 video not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'm trying to get ETX-LS6 up and running for a local Jr High teacher. She bought the scope several years ago complete with the video monitor. She says her class used it 2-3 times then the video stopped working and they haven't used it since. when she brought it to me to look at last week, the scope was brain dead.

I've since managed--after a long web search--to find a Mini SD card to use to reflag the scope and that's brought it back to life again. I now get audio and the scope goes through it's alignment routine, but no video. I've plugged the monitor into a DVD player and the monitor works fine. Other monitors plugged into the scope fail to work.

Anyone have any ideas? This is a school scope that is terribly underutilized. The teacher and her students don't know the sky so could very much use the crutch if there's something that can be done to get it to work again. My understanding is the video is all in the HC so I would have thought reflagging would have put valid video files back into the system. My next guess is the video driver is blown but that looks to be on a larger circuit board that's probably not something I can get replacement part for??

#2 astrogeoguy

astrogeoguy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

In practice, the video output doesn't offer much, and won't prevent full use of the scope for stargazing. As long as the Eclips camera can see the align stars, it will still self-align - but I have done many 2-star aligns on my LS even without the camera's assistance.

I assume you realize that the video monitor does NOT show what the scope is observing, so it's no great loss if that's the only thing broken.

Chris

#3 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

In practice, the video output doesn't offer much, and won't prevent full use of the scope for stargazing. As long as the Eclips camera can see the align stars, it will still self-align - but I have done many 2-star aligns on my LS even without the camera's assistance.

I assume you realize that the video monitor does NOT show what the scope is observing, so it's no great loss if that's the only thing broken.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the response. Yeah, I know all that. For *me*, I could care less. I mostly use my equipment for photometry and, more recently, spectroscopy...video and pretty pictures don't do much for me. Even the fully automatic align is a waste since I can align myself faster and I generally put my scope to sleep so I don't have to align anyway :)

However, this scope was bought by a teacher for her class. The A/V is an attractive option for her--the reason she plopped grant money down on this specific scope vs something else. She could have gotten two 8" dobs for the cost of one 6" LS--but neither she nor the students would have known how to use them. And, as it turned out, her and the class stopped using this scope as soon as the video stopped working even though she knew the rest of the scope was fine at the time.

I'm hoping to work with this teacher on some better options going forward, but it's still a major disappointment to her to not have the scope she paid for. The scope is out of warrantee and she doesn't have the money to send it back to Meade--which may be risky given their current situation anyway. So, I was hoping the good people here might have some thoughts on what might be wrong and how it might be fixed :) At this point, I suspect the answer is replacing the internal circuit board but maybe not there's something I'm missing...

#4 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

Take a look at cables. Are you using the Meade monitor? Try a little lcd TV is you can find one.

I use my little lcd a lot as it saves me from having to put on my reading glasses to see the hbx.

Does the audio work?

I've found the audio adds a lot more to the experience than the video. The monitor doesn't show all that much, especially when in night mode. If you don't use night mode it kills your dark adapted vision.

Audio provides a lot more information than is shown on the screen.

#5 austingonzo

austingonzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

http://www.telescope-warehouse.com/

Bill bought a bunch of LS-6 scopes at one point and still has some he's parting out. This is in case you determine best course of action is to replace the mainboard.

-austingonzo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics