•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Making a 6 inch Chief

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sin-sin-atti

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I've been working on a 6 inch Chief. I'm trying Dave O's idea of mounting the upper OTA on a tripod in the corner. Shown here is the work in progress (two of the legs will be added later) to get a sense of what it will look like. Temporary Zip ties are holding the tube on the cradle.

Attached Files

#2 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Looks nice! I had to use a green laser to find where mine was looking .It will not be centered an any axis . Setting circles will work but more setup is needed [I ask] There is a very large offaxis reflector mounted that way .See if I can find the link . over several meters diameter .

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Interesting, and probably a lot more approachable for a potential first time Chief builder. What are the ranges of focal ratios at that aperture?

#4 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

This one is F/12 and uses COTS lenses which I still need to order. I had made a couple of primaries a few years back and thought I go ahead an build it even though I already have another 6 inch Chief. An awesome performer I might add. I picked up a nice painted 80 mm telescope off Ebay although nobody makes a focuser for it. This one is a reflector focuser without the base.

Attached Files

#5 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

The lens holder is PVC doughnut machined slightly smaller than the lenses and cut to a 15 degree wedge (the angle between the lenses) on a table saw. The delrin clips were made on a lathe to have a step equal to the edge thickness of the lenses then drilled off center. These can be rotated to center each lens in X and Y measuring with calipers from the edge. Brass pins were placed on the diameter as a rotation axis held in place by a tight fitting ring. This ring was cut from the left over tubing with a key filed into the ends to act as a solid ring. This allow the holder to be placed anywhere in the tube or rotation. Pretty slick.

Attached Files

#6 Dave O

Dave O

Messenger

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

"Pretty slick" is right! Wow! I particularly like your idea for adjusting the de-centers ... be sure to let us know how well that works (thinking it will be a bit of trial and error in adjusting these things?)!

I like 'simple' things, and this lens cell is getting simple enough to where even I may have to give it a go!
Cheers. Dave O

#7 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

The thing you showed me about tipping the lens 90deg to the optical axis to see if the laser reflects back on its self Cannot be done with this? I like that on the 20. as it get the one axis of each lens nailed. Square Very nice Is there a baffle at the secondary? Are you going to Stellafane??

#8 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

The centration ought to be straightforward. In the X direction (axis of pins) the centration is zero and I can measure from the edge to make them equal with calipers. In the Y direction (wedge direction) the concave lens should be .027 inch farther than the convex lens from the thin edge. I can set the perpendicularity by checking with a laser, (rotating the holder). Finally if the holder rotation axis is off the holder can be rotated in the tube or the tube can be rotated in the cradle if I see any non-orthogonal astigmatism. That's the plan anyway.

#9 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Only the laser target and holder rotation need to be in correct rotaional axis with each other And the distance to focus from the last surface . Nice Should be simpler to setup . Move the whole top up till the moon focuses at the correct distance .

#10 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Stellafane?

I doubt it.

#11 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Be nice some year For you and me to enter the 20 Chief as a joint build . Guess we should have done that 4 years back. Nice telescope .I guess you making a platform for it ?

Attached Files

#12 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I already have a platform for it. It should fit in my other 6 inch rocker box as well, at least temporarily. Here's the prescription BTW.

Attached Files

#13 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

http://www.toweropti...erOptical27.pdf

#14 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

http://www.toweropti...erOptical25.pdf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics