• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Last Wednesday was a kinda busy day. Caught the ISS transit of the Sun, got some Venus and Mercury captures, then it was Saturn and finally the Moon. Been procrastinating in processing the stuff, but here are some Moon shots. Seeing was kinda average so don't expect anything near the quality that Mike Wirths gets :).

All of these were taken with the 8SE + 2x barlow + ASI120MC

This is a mosaic of 12 frames, I missed a slice at the end...oh well. Click through and choose original size to see the full resolution image.

Posted Image
mare imbrium by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

This one of Gassendi is a two frame mosaic, again click through to get full sized image
Posted Image
gassendi by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

Another two frame mosaic, this time of Aristarchus:
Posted Image
aristarchus by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

How bout Copernicus?
Posted Image
copernicus by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

Tycho
Posted Image
tycho by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

Plato
Posted Image
plato by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

#2 Baron

Baron

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, beautiful images, many detail.

#3 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I love Tycho, just doesn't look the same without the debris area. :grin:

The mosaic is wonderful!!!

How long does it normally take to stitch together the frames?

#4 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Memphis, TN

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Nice details.

#5 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Awesome shots!

#6 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks!

I had a little higher hopes for the images, and felt a little disappointed at first. But looking at some of the individual frames while stacking, I realized that the seeing really wasn't that great. Then I came around to the feeling the images are actually pretty good for the conditions.

During the time of the captures, the moon was only around 30 degrees above the horizon so atmospheric dispersion was a problem. Flipping through each channel I could see some big differences between the channels. The details were aligned between the channels, but there was a definite "shadow" because of dispersion in the red and blue channels.

For what its worth, In the top mosaic, I stacked only 150 frames out of 2100. In the other images I went with a smaller image size to crank the framerate. For those I stacked 3000 out of around 11,000 frames.

Been toying around with the idea of getting an ASI120MM so I could throw on an IR pass filter to help with the seeing, and thought it would be interesting to see if I could improve the resolution over the results from the MC.

How long does it normally take to stitch together the frames?

Actually not that long. For each frame of the mosaic, I ran them through AS!2, did some deconvolution and then cropped out the hard edges. Assembling the mosaic *shouldn't* take that much time....

I previously have used Microsoft ICE. If you have a decent overlap with the different frames, it works nice. Dragging and dropping 12 frames into the program *should* give you an image in about a couple of minutes. But the last two times I have tried mosaics, I have had problems with ICE and it wouldn't stitch together some of the images. Probably because I had smooth areas without craters to align on, and probably because I didn't have enough overlap.

For the top mosaic, I downloaded Hugin. Unfortunately it took me about 4-5 hours over two days to figure out the program and why it wasn't stitching the images together right. Because I didn't have good overlaps with some images, I had to manually add and edit control points for a bunch of frames. Now I know how to use the program a bit better, I could get things stitched together in about 15 minutes.

#7 dennilfloss

dennilfloss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Very nice pictures! :)

#8 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think your images are actually better than you might have thought at first. If you have Photoshop or similar image editing software you might copy the red channel and use it as a B&W image--there's a little dispersion in the original color image that is adding unnecessary blur and color fringes.

Begging your pardon for playing with your images:

Attached Files

#9 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Gassendi shows lots of detail

Attached Files

#10 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

No problem Ross.

When I was doing the first mosaic I stripped out the Red channel and put it in a luminance, but I didn't quite like the transition from light to dark along the terminator.

I totally forgot to see what it would look like just using one channel in the other images. I think I am going to try pull the red channel out of the videos and then just stack that channel to see if it looks better.

I got a little fixated on processing them and not checking to see if any of the individual channels looked better.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics