The battle with HOA has began.

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

We own are condo, but is pretty much ran by HOA (FUN) a few days ago we got a letter from HOA stating that I need to remove "the observatory" LOL ok! I have a PVC frame with black materiel that is used to block light from the people next door and the pool area which the lights are on all night long. I told HOA I will take it down when they start to follow the CITY rules! I looked in to it through the county of San Diego and the pool area lights are to be off at 11:00PM according to San Diego County.

These lights are so bad that they light are bedroom up on the 2nd floor. My front viewing area would be a very great area to observe, we live right on red/orange zone. The front faces North/East and some East/South. If the pool area lights were off it would be great viewing, because to the east there is NO lights hardly and not that far east is a green zone.

So I sent HOA all the info I found from the county, we told them if it is not changed we will get a hold of the board which they will have to change it, so we are trying to be cool.

Also LOL get this, They will start to fine us for having the light blockers up. This is crazy, I know its the people next door too! They know we are out observing, just 2 months ago he put in a BIG ghetto light that lights up all are area in front of our place. This is why I made the light blockers, with out the light blockers I can't even use the scopes out there :mad:

So yeah, guess we will see what happens.. can't wait to move out of here.

Anyone else dealing with something like this? You should look in to it, because we can do something about it. If you live in San Diego check this out http://www.sdcounty....llutionCode.pdf I'm sure it's the same almost anywhere like this in the US. It don't hurt to look in to it, if your dealing with something like this.

I will keep you guys posted :bow:

#2 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

HOAs are pathetic.

That is all

#3 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I've never understood why anyone would willingly put themselves under a HOA's control. As I understand it, they can actually take your house, if push comes to shove...

#4 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

agree Rick, my girlfriend has lived here for 10 years, I moved in about 8 months ago. I'm helping her get rid of this place so we can buy a house when we get married. We are hoping to have all this done by next summer. And yes I will be building an observatory. :) I'm counting the days.

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have the same problem with a neighbor leaving bright floods on all day, all night, every day. I am about to put up light blockers that can be put up and taken down at will along my side of the fence. At least I don't have a control freak run by small minded people HOA to deal with. I wish you luck in getting out of that hellhole neighborhood. In the meantime, you could make and use light blockers that can be disassembled and stored when not in use just to tweak your very rude neighbor and the HOA. As far as I am concerned, what they are doing is infringing on your personal space and liberty. I would not stand for that.

Taras

#6 zonamav

zonamav

Lift Off

• *----
  • Loc: southern arizona

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

I've never understood why anyone would willingly put themselves under a HOA's control. As I understand it, they can actually take your house, if push comes to shove...

Well depending on your region, its possible that most affordable housing whether it be condos or homes are part of a HOA so there isn't a choice. Or the rare affordable neighborhoods that aren't part of an HOA, are sometimes a dump because people don't take care of their neighborhood.

But back to the topic at hand, I would try to create something removable that can be broken down and reassembled. Not optimal, but hopefully workable.

Or go nuclear, and turn in your HOA to the city for complaints about breaking the light pollution. First I would try all alternative solutions first though.

#7 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

It's hard to get away from such neighbors. It seems every neighborhood has one or two who want to light up the rest of the neighborhood. So that's why I'm actively looking for 10 acres in the country. Means a longer commute to work and to see family and friends, but it also means peace and quiet and an environment more conducive for astronomy.

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I just took a look at the county's publication that advises people concerning public pools. http://www.sdcounty....s_poolop377.pdf
It looks like your HOA is mandated to leave the lights on from sunset to sunrise. I'm not sure you'll get any traction on that issue.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Use the IDA and look into the City's regulations on light pollution. If there aren't any rules (doubtful, it' California), go to your city board meetings and get it changes. You need to be involved in your HOA as well. This is the time to go on the offensive and use your knowledge to educate others on what you're trying to do.

Finally, get to know the jerk next door. Some times this stuff can be finished as easily as saying hey, you wanna have a beer and take a look at the moon?

#10 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

thanks guys, yeah I'm gonna talk to my neb 2 doors down he has lived here for 20 years. He has a few goto scopes, 12" and 20" dob. he said he has been over it and tried talking to them. So he just uses his smaller scopes out back and takes his bigger scopes to the dark spot which is about 35 mins away.

I'm just going to be in the back as well, it's dark and have no lights and just start going to are dark site more often.

By the way, my light blockers I made I set up around 7:30 - 8:00pm then when I'm done I take it down. there not even left out side I put them in the garage. so that is why I think it's the guy next door that complained.

The area we live in is a good area, but there is a lot of older people around, there always complaining about the kids playing "in the day" lol. I just don't think they like us, lol.

But it's cool, we are getting ready to sale this place and buy a house away from here. The area we have been looking is away from the city and is in a green zone. :) Plus we will only be 15mins away from our dark site. so it will all work out in about a year. for now I guess I will have to deal.

thanks everyone. :)

#11 celtictexan

celtictexan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amarillo Texas

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

HOAs are pathetic.

That is all

+1

#12 celtictexan

celtictexan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amarillo Texas

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

I just took a look at the county's publication that advises people concerning public pools. http://www.sdcounty....s_poolop377.pdf
It looks like your HOA is mandated to leave the lights on from sunset to sunrise. I'm not sure you'll get any traction on that issue.

I bought a place in the country, someone else moved in 5 acres down from me. First he puts this giant 5 globe front light in then puts a big mercury vapor light on his shop. Looks like the sun stayed up around him. I use to could set up anywhere now I have to hide behind my shop or be blinded from the side. People that are scared of the dark should stay in the city.

#13 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hmmm, does the HOA have anything against trees? Nice, dense, fast growing poplar trees. Privet hedges grow pretty fast as well. Strategically placed forsythia may also be effective. Stagger them so that they look random, but provide line of sight shade. Last, but not least, temporary light shades, put'm up when you observe, take'm down when you are done.

Juat a thought...

#14 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

While I'm not in HOA's control, my neighbor's lights blind me sometimes as well. The worst is when they have to take their little poodle/chihuahua/terrier thing outside at like 11pm to make "tink-tink" or potty or whatever they ungodly call it after my dark adaption has hit high gear.

My other neighbor is a 4th grade science teacher. He understands. :)

Regardless, I have no qualms about calling/texting/knockin on their door asking if then can turn off their driveway light that so lovingly lights up my driveway where I observe.

#15 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

I dont understand how a temporary structure can even be an issue... any chance you can post the verbiage from the HOA rulebook? I mean if you are only using the blockers for a couple of hours periodically, then whats the issue?

I'd be looking for a loophole really hard... and making friends with the HOA - buying them donuts at meetings, etc...

I lucked out with my POD - the city folks thought it was interesting and the Gentleman who issues variances actually helped redraw my lot plan and told me how to set the POD up to avoid issues with lot lines and line of sight, etc.....

#16 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

I bought a place in the country, someone else moved in 5 acres down from me. First he puts this giant 5 globe front light in then puts a big mercury vapor light on his shop. Looks like the sun stayed up around him. I use to could set up anywhere now I have to hide behind my shop or be blinded from the side. People that are scared of the dark should stay in the city.

If I ever move, it would be to a spot out in the country, but THIS possibility is my main fear in making such a move. I've read of this happening many times, and have seen instances where such things developed. Someone builds out in a dark area, then a neighbor with a fear of the dark moves across the road. Same thing happens with shooting ranges... City folks move nearby, then want to shut down the range, which was there long before they came. Why do people move into a rural area, then want to turn it into a city environment???
Marty

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hey, we don't want no sciency stuff here, all we need is a pool and something to drink, and lots of light to watch all the ladies at the pool............then this guy goes and puts up all this plastic blocking my view... :lol:

Thank You....your local HOA

#18 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

I live in a row townhouse, which effectively runs like a condo with a board. There can be a very large grey area in terms of what is and isn't allowed. And as most people who live in these type of communities come to realize, enforcement of the rules is driven by complaints: if there are no complaints, then no one could care less. Being on good terms with one's neighbours is extremely important in these type of environments.

Yes, it's restrictive, but this is the reality people who live in condos have to live with.

There is simply no way for me to observe DSOs anywhere around my home (I would need to wear a blindfold to block out all the stray light), so I have resigned myself to lunar/planetary observing from my patio.

Having said that, I think it's strange that you would get a letter to take down your 'observatory' when you only have it up temporarily. At first, I was thinking maybe you have the PVC structure up all the time? And simply attach the fabric/tarp up to the frame when you're observing, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see how they can enforce this particular rule - what can they do when they come around to inspect your unit during the day and you don't have it up?

#19 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

HOA's are the devil.
Went through the same thing, even the "children are not allowed to play except in designated areas at designated times".
Never again.
Rules against starting a pig farm I can understand, telling me I have to park my car 2 blocks away while I repair something on it or that my patio furniture was too close to the back door, etc......grrrrr HATE them.

#20 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm real opposed to HOAs, and I'm just obnoxious enough I would personally be flooding the organization with legalese nastygrams.

But some advice, if you want to actually win, and you know which neighbor...might help to just bring the guy some cookies or a nice cigar or some imported coffee...you know, sit down and have a chat like friends. Depends on how much time and patience you have. :)

#21 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

There is simply no way for me to observe DSOs anywhere around my home (I would need to wear a blindfold to block out all the stray light), so I have resigned myself to lunar/planetary observing from my patio.

I have observed from my front yard - directly under a sodium street light... By using a towel as a hood.

Sure - you look nutz, but who cares - it works!

#22 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I had a similar problem at my Chula Vista house; extremely bright floodlight behind me. When new renters moved in, two nice navy guys, all it took was a 24 pack of Heinekin to solve the problem.

#23 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

+1

#24 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Post deleted by droid

#25 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

not to mention he feels he's doing YOU a favor lighting up your property...on his dime, no less.....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics