New camera purchase

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Looking to buy a ASI120 very soon, but I still undecided on the color or mono model. I was set on the Mono model as the best possible camera, but recently have seen some spectacular results with the color camera. If I could get 95% the quality of the Mono camera without the hassle, and added expense filters, I'd be happy with the color.

To complicate the matter I want to use the ASI as my main guide camera too. I know the Mono is more sensitive than the color, but what is the real world difference? How do both of these versions compare to the Orion auto-guider? I may want to use a OAG in the future, but for now it will be guide scopes when doing Deep sky imaging with the DSLR.

Perhaps the only solution is both! :p If so which one first?

#2 moxican

moxican

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have the ASI120MC. That is the color version. I can tell you this. It is very nice. I don't know how it compares to the mono, but the main advantage of the mono would be a little extra resolution. The color version is pretty sensitive too.
For guiding I wouldn't even give a second thought to this worry. The sensitivity here is absolutely minimal. I use my color for guiding all the time without any problem.
The reason why I purchased the color is that seeing here is not really great most of the time. So I have to be able to assemble and go into action nearly in a moments notice. I don't know how it is for you but you might want to take that into consideration too.
Good luck

#3 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

THanks keep those comments comming.

Something else I wanted to ask!

The ASI mono camera uses a MT9M034 sensor, but the color uses a AR0130CS. Has this always been the case or is this color chip a recent change? Is this the same chip used for these wonderful color shots we've seen lately?

I ask because I see that the QHY cameras claim to use the MT9M034 for both the Mono and color cameras. I not sure how that's even possible, but if true would mean that the ASI and QHY cameras use the same mono chip, but use different color chips, and would not be comparable to each other.

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Even though I've had both cameras for nearly a year now I must confess I have hardly used the colour camera.

If you were a lunatic planetary imager like us I'd recommend the mono but both would sure give you everything for all occasions - but your pockets have to be much deeper for the EFW etc...

Gusztav raises some good points re seeing opportunities for you to consider...

*Sam, you might fall out of your chair and see some ASI120MC Saturn images from me in the near future..! :shocked: :lol:

#5 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the comments. I was hoping for a little more chatter on the subject! Where are the equipment junkies? :)I think I may have to go with both, but will go with the mono unit first to get the best "guider". This means another investment in filters, and decisions between 1.25", and 2", and also manual versus USB wheels. A subject I haven't reseached as of yet..

#6 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

lazy guys like me would prefer color one :)
diligent guys like Darryl choose the mono one without doubts

the color camera us AR0130CS because which is slightly sensetive than MT9M034. but the mono version is not available in the market.

#7 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Sam, does that mean the the color version would be more sensitive when used as a guider?

#8 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the comments. I was hoping for a little more chatter on the subject! Where are the equipment junkies?

You asked for chatter. Be careful what you ask for. :roflmao:

As someone who has only used color I can recommend color, FWIW. My reasoning is based on my ignorance. Jupiter and Saturn rotate so fast that you want all your images to be taken within a small time window. I've heard things like 5 minutes but 3 or less is better. You will lose some time switching so you won't have as many frames. Also, each color will be of a slightly different viewing angle. This seems like a bad idea to me.

Obviously it works though because I have seen fantastic color pictures with mono as well as OSC cameras. When I look at the best of the best I cannot tell the difference. Overall, the mono pictures are better but I attribute that to a selection bias. Typically only good photographers will take the time to learn how to get color images from a mono camera so you don't see a lot of rookie images by the mono guys.

To be more honest I'm like Sam in that the actual reason is that I am lazy. I have seen pictures that are way better than any I have taken and they were made with OSC. I don't need to switch to mono to get better.

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

I had (still have, actually) a DMK21AU618 which is mono. The number of nights I could get good enough seeing to use it to its advantage was so minimal, I decided to go with a lower-resolution OSC, the ASI120MC. Not only is the ASI120MC significantly more sensitive, but it seems better suited for my mediocre skies. I have seen very few really excellent images taken with the 120MC (compared to the 120MM), but for me it's not really a concern as my typical skies aren't up to high-resolution imaging anyway.

Darryl's 120MM images are testament to the kind of quality achievable with the mono flavor. I have not seem 120MC images which equal his.

Grant

#10 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thanks again for those comments!

What I'm hearing is that there really is no wrong choice here. I feel I probably will own both these camera as many here do, but as I do have rather poor seeing here, I purchased the MC version yesterday. It'd due here on Monday. I can't wait!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics