4 replies to this topic

#1 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

I am writing this in the DSLR forum, as I think people here have considerable experience doing custom mods using Peltier cooling units.

I have just gotten a Meade DSI III (this is really of no consequence to the actual question) with a Peltier cooling unit and fan on top.

Both the Peltier cooling unit and the fan have their own power plug - meaning I would need two 12V alimentation to give power to those components.

The question would be: is it possible to link those two plugs into one single plug (i.e. a single 12V source powering both plugs at the same time)? Is it as simple as putting both plugs into one?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yannick

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

Yup, just need the right about of amps going to it. So, if you have a good regulated power supply you could 'combine' the wires as long as that supply had enough amps to meet the demand of the peltier and the fan.

#3 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

Yes you could, BUT...

There may be benefits to keep them separate, such as
* Controlling the TEC with PWM control.
* running the fan at full speed may introduce vibration, and thus you need to adjust the speed.

#4 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thank you very much for your answers!

For the moment I have just tried the below:
- plugging a 12V 1.5A power adapter into the fan
- plugging a 12V 5A power adapter into the peltier unit

I got a brisk 0 Celsius at first, rising to 2 Celsius after a few darks, in a room at 28 Celsius ambient, which was pretty awesome to see (my darks were, well, actually dark, except for amp glow).

I will next try to see whether the 12V 5A supply could be enough to run both, and also look into ways of controlling the TEC and fan.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Yannick

#5 LeCarl

LeCarl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

fan don't consume a lot of power, at least .2 amp or maybe .5A

Check you amps usage with an multimeter, a small TEC don't use so much power, it yes there are some problem with efficiency

I explain: I bought all kind of 12V tec to test...
12703, 12705 to 12710 and the less amp one work best, the setup have no load at all... it achieve same performance with all, and the biggest amp usage give me the worst result at the end (heatsink get hotter and delta T begin higher)

With an DSI, the tec never need to use higher than 3-3.5 amps, otherwise you waste power and get higher delta T so bought an 12702 or 12703 tec because it cost 4$ and be more efficient...

Thing to remember: TEC used without some load, less amp usage give the best result, because it give same delta T

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics