DIY tripod levelers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to produce tripod levelers for the usual 2" tripods.

I know TPI Astro sells some, but they are $350.

Teleskop Express sells a set made by Geoptik which is 160 EUR. Cheaper.

Levelers are a $200 option on Rob Miller's tripods, but one can't buy RM stuff right now.

Has anyone solved this problem? preferably cheaply?

#2 gfeulner

gfeulner

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

http://www.alliance-...djustable-feet- you could try these. Also there was an article posted I believe on CN awhile back that showed how to make them using bolts, washers and rubber leg attachments used on furniture. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find it. Maybe another poster can help with that. I made mine using this method and it works fine Gerry.

#3 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Probably not what you want to hear, but one approach would be to place the tripod on a buggy, and put the levelers on the buggy. A battery-operated drill can assist in lifting and lowering.
Posted Image

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

In order to use those leveling feet, I'll need threaded tube plugs. The OD of the Celestron Ultima lower leg is 35.xx millimeters, which is a non-standard size, so I can't find threaded tube plugs for it...

Looks like the simplest solution is to make a wooden platform which has levelers on it, then mount the tripod on top.

#5 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Consider buying several C-clamps, cutting off the lower part of the clamp, grinding or filing to shape as necessary, and drilling a hole in the side to bolt to your tripod feet; as with the TPI type.

#6 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

I assembled a triangle leveler that fits under the SCT base. This is for visual use only. Material is 1" steel square tube stock and hardware is Stainless Steel. Leveling is now fast and easy with the knurled knobs and independent of the tripod.

Attached Files

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

I did buy C clamps because they're cheaper than those industrial levelers. But I have no idea how to bolt them to my tripod legs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics