Photo

New Meade 5000 20mm Waterproof eyepiece!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well,

It arrived today. The 20mm Series 5000 Meade 2" waterproof eyepiece! There are indeed typos on some websites about this eyepiece as it is a 2" offering. Looks to be in excellent condition. I wish the top cap wouldn't fall off so easily, but that's a minor thing, and I can fix it. The bottom cap is really stiff and is made out of thick plastic and fits really snug. Weight is 1.5 Lbs.

Once I have the time to get out with it, I'll report back here. I have attached a few pics of the eyepiece candy!

Cheers,

Eyepiece with the box
Posted Image

Field Lens
Posted Image

The 20mm Next to the 5.5mm for size comparison
Posted Image

#2 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Waterproof, eh? New to me. Well let us know how the optics are, as it's a Meade it should be good.

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

Waterproof, eh? New to me. Well let us know how the optics are, as it's a Meade it should be good.

Well,

In my 10" reflector @ F/4.7 there was HEAPS of field curvature. I'm not talking just a little bit either. The inner 50% was sharp and the outer 50% had so much field curvature, I thought I had a dud of an eyepiece!

I had bought it based on a review here, but in my scope it was a big bummer!

I also own the 5.5mm Meade 5000 waterproof UWA and that eyepiece is amazing !!!!!!! That one is sharp right to the edges, and has excellent eye relief for an 82 degree eyepiece. I am not even remotely touching the top lens when I view with it. I guess they are not as good through the line?

In any event, I sold the 20mm Meade WP UWA two days after I bought it and I won't be missing it one bit.

I guess it just doesn't play well with short FL reflectors because the guy I sold it to hasn't tried to contact me saying it was a dud for him !!!

I have another 22mm LVW coming, (I loved my first one, but wanted to try something new in the 20mm-22mm FL range), and I am KEEPING this one because nothing compares with it except the 20mm Nagler T2 in my scope.

Cheers,

#4 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Mark,

It seems to be the case that eyepieces perform very differently in my Vixen 140NA than in your f/4.7 dob. In my refractor the 20mm meade only showed some mild curvature in the outer 10-15 percent of the field. I recall there was a similar problem with the 28mm ES68. Too bad! I love both eyepieces in my scope.

Dave

#5 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Right, in my 6 inch f/8 refractor they work really nice. Looks like you need a Paracorr, Marcus.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics