• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Wisconsin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I posted this on the Meade4M site, thought I would post it here, also.

I received my 10" LX600 from Astronomics a few weeks after they generally started shipping. I started having issues as soon as I had it up and running. First, the RA slow-motion control knob would rub against the base. (Apparently the knob was too long.) I called Meade but they hadn't heard of the problem. So I took it on myself loosened the hex screw and raised the knob up a bit. Not very elegant but then I don't use the knob very much.
Then I started having issues with RA gears binding when I moved the scope manually. I move the scope manually when I am initially setting it up so I can polar align. I called Meade to report this issue. They asked if I had the problem when running it with the hand controller. I replied that I did not. I was ask to just use the hand controller instead of manually moving it. I replied, would Meade be willing to offset the resale price, due to the issue, down the road if/when I want to sell the scope. No they were not. Then they emailed me a shipping label to send just the base back to them, at my expense! No effing way on that baby. Hey, this is a new product! Not my fault you didn't do any QA. OK., they want me to send the base back on their dime. Fine with me. I was told it would take 3-4 weeks but they would see if it could be expedited. I shipped it on June 12.
Well, the LX600 base arrived at the shipping address on June 18. I wasn't told that it would take another 3 days to get to the real destination. I called Meade support on June 24 to just check on the status. Yes, they received it. This is when I found out they really didn't get it until June 21. Now I was told it could take 5-6 weeks before I get it back. *BLEEP*? Guess no expediting there.
Frankly, I think Meade should either fix the LX600 base promptly or send me a new base (preferred). Also, due to their lack of QA, they should extend my warranty by a year.
Anyway, since I received to LX600 I only had it out twice. Mainly because the gear binding issue but also due to weather and that thing is a beast and I need help moving it around.

Thank you Meade (Not) :mad:

Terry

Still waiting to use my LX600.
Yes, I will keep bugging Meade until I get my equipment back. Repaired or new.

#2 Markigno

Markigno

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello, I followed all your posts regarding LX600, and looked carefully your video "unboxing", this for my curiosity about new LX600 series. I was hoping to see a first light, followed by a thorough review on the quality of the new tracking system Starlock and quality of images produced by the new OTA F/8 mounted about new fork. Instead, with much regret, we have to read for umpteenth time of defections on poor quality control Meade, even on these new products. I am very sorry for all these problems you had with LX600, and are to say the least shocked by the bad behavior of the Meade against you on the management of problems post-sale of products under warranty. This management policy (and Meade is not new to this) is not acceptable, that both a product value by $ 1 or one of $ 100,000. I live in Europe and as overseas consumer I buy new products built in the United States with eyes closed, but only from serious producers with hight constructive precision and with high quality control certified; as Astrophysics, SBIG, FLI, RCOS and many others. Currently I have a Meade LX200 that I love, and I had an LX90 and a ETX125, but all purchased second hand and after a careful personal analysis of the product before making your purchase. I do not trust of Meade, and I not would buy a new product in sealed box from them, never, because of the lack of quality control and mismanagement after-sales service to consumers.
Meade should have more respect to those who, like you, have the courage to buy a completely new product and not yet widely tested as LX600. Is natural that the first samples may come out with some problems, but precisely for this reason the manufacturer should replace the defective items quickly and above all at no cost! This, however is the recognition of Meade towards those who (wrongly) gave them confidence. Shame!

#3 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I don't want to bash the LX600 itself. I put all the blame on Meade's QA and customer service. You call up and get someone and he tells you this. You call again and get someone else and he tells you that. Well, what is it, this or that or something entirely different?
The views I had through the scope were amazing compared to the 8" LX200GPS I had. I just want my equipment back and in working order. I am not asking for too much am I?

Terry

#4 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Then I started having issues with RA gears binding when I moved the scope manually. I move the scope manually when I am initially setting it up so I can polar align.

Are you doing this with the scope powered on? The manual knobs should never be turned with the scope on.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Then I started having issues with RA gears binding when I moved the scope manually.

I just have to ask. Were you trying to use the manual slow motion controls with the mount powered up? I can't see any other way you could get gears to grind - and if you do that you will certainly grind gears. It eventually destroys the gears in the motor head. It's one or the other - manual slow motion controls (no power) or handbox (with power on). Meade forkmounts have been like that since 1992. It's also why Meade's competitors don't offer slow motion controls at all. They feel it's better that everyone should live without the convenience of slomo controls than that folks should learn how the mounts work. I prefer Meade's thinking on that issue. I never used the slomos very much but I missed them when I used other forkmounts. They are great for Polaris collimation in the back yard (no power required).

-edit- ...and now that I have read the thread more carefully I see that Mike already addressed this issue. My apologies... :o

#6 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Not powered up and not using the slow-mo controls. Just grabbing the forks and turning. No, the clutch was not engaged. Sure doesn't bind on my 8" LX200GPS.

Terry

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Not powered up and not using the slow-mo controls. Just grabbing the forks and turning. No, the clutch was not engaged. Sure doesn't bind on my 8" LX200GPS.

Terry

Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing all the way. The adjustment for that consists of loosening the setscrew on the lock knob and rotating it. Might have disrupted that when you shifted the knob upwards.

#8 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

John,
I moved the slo-mo knob up. Did not adjust the clutch knob.
Thanks everyone for the input though.

Terry

#9 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

The squeaky wheel does get the grease. I received good news from Meade yesterday. My equipment is on the repair table and should be shipping back next week. Just may be able to do some summer viewing after all. :-)

Terry

#10 Plasticos Jim

Plasticos Jim

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NE Wisconsin

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Terry that's great news - now if the weather here in Wisconsin would just cooperate, we'll get to put these scopes through the paces at last!

#11 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I received the base of my LX600 back from Meade repair. Just to dang hot and humid out to test if they fixed the problem. Hopefully, this weekend as the forecast is for some decent conditions. Fingers crossed.

Terry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics