• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago,Il

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Okay, got a new C6r and want to add a new focuser. My only choices for the budget I have are the GSO crayford or WO focuser for synta scopes. As much as I'd love a moonlight or feathertouch, they are out of my range.

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

You should at least consider this one: http://aokswiss.ch/d...kasai-borg.html

I have one on my Sky-Watcher 150mm f/8 achro and it's a superb focuser.

Posted Image

Adapters to fit it to the C6R are available from AOKswiss. You can also use the Baader Synta adapter they make for their Steeltrack focuser, it also fits the Kasai focuser and is the one I use on my Sky-Watcher.

http://www.baader-pl...2_zoll_refr_zub

It's a very solid focuser. It holds my 2" Baader diagonal and 2" 30mm ES82 eyepiece in vertical without any problems. No need to lock the focuser tube down. Binoviewer with big eyepieces? No problems.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

I replaced mine with a GSO Linear bearing from Agena Astro. Well worth it, nice and solid very smooth, although the screws holding the steel track needed to be tightened up after a couple of months. Never had any problems with slipping etc. I use ES 100º eyepieces and do lots of binoviewing too.

#4 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

evilmedic13,
I have a C6R & also wasn't happy with the OEM focuser. I replaced it with a GSO but had a very hard time getting it to balance out & stay inside my POD on a G11. I replaced that with the Moonlite and the balance was shifted rearward by 4" which pulled the objective back into the domes perimeter. The operation of both is much much better than the OEM POS. I personally like the Moonlite better as it can be retrofitted for motorized operation, but it ain't cheap.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#5 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

If you're on a limited budget, consider overhauling the existing focuser. Removing the sticky grease and replacing it with something better, along with judicious tuning of screws can yield a very serviceable stock focuser.

Consider saving longer and purchase a collimateable focuser, such as those offered by Moonlite, at a later date. Generally, I've found the GSO focusers quite nice, if not a teeny bit finicky and often requiring cleaning and tuning of the planetary gears inside the focuser. Their greatest weakness, though, is the inability to easily collimate them. Luckily, the C6r's are very tolerant of collimation errors. In my case, the addition of a Chromacor required greater precision.

It's probably worth spending a little time with/on the stock focuser.

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

I bought a fairly cheap helical focuser from Orion for my C6R, works nice, I can get a rough focus from the stock focuser, and then fine tune the image at high mag without much shaking with the helical and a motor focuser will also work for visual observing.

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't like motor focusers, but the helical focuser is a nice idea.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#8 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Okay, got a new C6r and want to add a new focuser. My only choices for the budget I have are the GSO crayford or WO focuser for synta scopes. As much as I'd love a moonlight or feathertouch, they are out of my range.

Any chance of reworking your stock one for a temp fix, saving your pennies a bit longer, then getting a Moonlite?
I had the single speed Moonlite on my previously owned CR150 (C6R) and it completely transformed the scope.
If you plan on keeping the scope long term - it is worth saving for.

#9 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

The William Optics bolts right on, no adapter needed.

The GSO Steeltrack.....ONLY 2" FOCUS TRAVEL !!!

Attached Files

#10 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago,Il

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Thanks Tom. Any need for extension tubes?

#11 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

There shouldn't be. I had a 2" WO focuser on my 150mm S-W for a while and didn't need any extension tubes when observing normally with a 2" diagonal. The WO focuser (which was borrowed from my WO72ED Megrez) was very nice, but a tad too long for me, as I couldn't reach focus with my binoviewer without barlow, which is why I changed to the Kasai crayford, since it's 30mm's shorter. The poor Megrez also wanted its focuser back.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#12 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

I use 1.25" diagonals and every eyepiece has come to focus at the mid range of travel.

#13 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Any chance of reworking your stock one for a temp fix, saving your pennies a bit longer, then getting a Moonlite?
I had the single speed Moonlite on my previously owned CR150 (C6R) and it completely transformed the scope.
If you plan on keeping the scope long term - it is worth saving for.

Scott,
Can you define what you mean by your comment, 'it completely transformed the scope'..... how did it transform it? I'm considering buying a new/used C6-R and am just trying to get all the information I can on it and any possible changes/upgrades (eek)
Thanks
Bob

#14 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Bob,
When I changed over to the 2spd Moonlite my C6r was also "transformed". Before the change, the OEM focusser wouldn't hold focus, had image shift, & had horrible backlash. The R&P system was really bad. The screws didn't have enough material to hold onto to keep the rack in place. I even tried epoxy to fix it, but it couldn't hold the 2 different materials. Since the Moonlite the focusing is buttery smooth, zero image shift, holds focus, and unexpectedly, the balance was shifted by 3-4in, bringing the objective inside of the perimeter of my 8ft POD. I liked the GSO that I had originally replaced the OEM with but to me, the focus always felt like it had sand in it. I eventually found & solved a slightly overtightened planetary bearing issue with it, & repurposed it onto an 90mmf4 IOptron I'm using as a guidescope.
:rant: I would like to say :beat: that for any OEM to make a piece of equipment of the quality of this (it IS a nice OTA, warts & all) and then to put a POS like that focusser is disgraceful. If a Newb were to buy this & try to use it they probably get discouraged or PO'ed because it couldn't perform to the hype, maybe even quit & they would be right. The optics are fairly decent for the aperture if you don't push the mag on bright objects there is (to my eyes) little CA seen in fast scopes. Even better would be to be able to columnate it. In quantity good quality components become inexpensive, and will let the observer grow without the equipment standing in the way. :rant:

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#15 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Bob,
When I changed over to the 2spd Moonlite my C6r was also "transformed". Before the change, the OEM focusser wouldn't hold focus, had image shift, & had horrible backlash. The R&P system was really bad. The screws didn't have enough material to hold onto to keep the rack in place. I even tried epoxy to fix it, but it couldn't hold the 2 different materials. Since the Moonlite the focusing is buttery smooth, zero image shift, holds focus, and unexpectedly, the balance was shifted by 3-4in, bringing the objective inside of the perimeter of my 8ft POD. I liked the GSO that I had originally replaced the OEM with but to me, the focus always felt like it had sand in it. I eventually found & solved a slightly overtightened planetary bearing issue with it, & repurposed it onto an 90mmf4 IOptron I'm using as a guidescope.
:rant: I would like to say :beat: that for any OEM to make a piece of equipment of the quality of this (it IS a nice OTA, warts & all) and then to put a POS like that focusser is disgraceful. If a Newb were to buy this & try to use it they probably get discouraged or PO'ed because it couldn't perform to the hype, maybe even quit & they would be right. The optics are fairly decent for the aperture if you don't push the mag on bright objects there is (to my eyes) little CA seen in fast scopes. Even better would be to be able to columnate it. In quantity good quality components become inexpensive, and will let the observer grow without the equipment standing in the way. :rant:

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Hi John, I've got to say that post is one of the best detailed answers I've gotten on CN. And the graemlin use is great, too!
I've seen posts where people were happy with the stock, but recently, most people really say how much they like a replacement, and your detail is much appreciated. When I finally get a C6-R, I'll definitely test the stock one, and knowing me, go for an upgrade. I put a moonlite onto my 180mm Mak, and it really helps the focusing, the EP/diagonal rotation and its so darn smoooooth!
Regards,
Bob

#16 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I put an AP focuser on mine. You can find them on Astromart used for ?$150? sometimes.

Attached Files

#17 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

It had a wonderful balance point afterwards. (Better than this with diagonal/eyepiece).

Attached Files

#18 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Mike,
I have been tempted to do this. Can you comment on the flange design you made/had made for the OTA tube?

#19 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

I had it made by aeroquest machining in Palmer, Alaska. Jim did an excellent job. It was a very lightweight adapter. The AP thread spec is on their website and it just slip fits into the tube.

Attached Files

#20 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

My 150mm Saxon ( Synta ) that my nephew is using in NZ has just fitted one to it , these are a very nice focuser once you set the tension via the 2 tiny allen head screws up under the body , takes 2 miniutes .
Brian.

Attached Files

#21 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Thanks Mike,
Nice Web Site and photos.
I will consider this option in the future. I am regretting having sold my C6R. If I remember correctly the OTA has a 5" OD. The outer diameter of the AP focuser threads must be about 4" from the look of the fit. I'll check it out on the AP site.
From the look of it the weight of the AP focuser must be considerably more than the stock focuser to give the improved balance shown. The focuser and the balance were two of the issues I had with mine.

#22 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

The William Optics Digital Display Gauge (DDG) Synta style focuser was a quick and easy upgrade to my C6R.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yes, That looks slick and easy. I may have to look for a C6R again or a SkyWatcher.

#24 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Bob,
As nice as the C6r is, you might also look for the Meade AT6. The focuser is still going to be a POS, but the objective is columnatable. Change the focuser to a motorized Moonlite or Feathertouch and the OTA becomes AP ready. For a 6" Acro that ain't too bad. You will need to keep the mags down below x200 but if you're doing AP you don't need to push it that far anyway. My white zone skies don't let me push the exposure & mag that far at any time.

BTW, Seeing that GSO on a 90mmf4 IOptron is too funny :rofl2:.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#25 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Bob,

Sorry about the delayed response. ?I was out of town for 2 weeks. The Moonlite was the best purchase I made for the Yard Cannon combined with the Atlas mount. Stability and the ability to critically focus simply made the scope usable in any situation. No worries about wind vibrations or hunting for focus. It simply worked - every time after those two mods.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics