First light Binotron 27's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Finally got a chance for first light on my new Binotron 27’s. There wasn’t a lot of time as clouds were all around, but I couldn't wait any longer. Saturn was my target and all that I was really interested in was being able to come to focus in my Omni 120 at all 3 positions. My only pair of eyepieces are 25mm Sterlings. I was not disappointed. Merging was a snap and focus was achieved at all 3 positions with plenty of travel left over on either end. I managed to have about 20min on Saturn at the highest power available with the Sterlings (guessing at 120x-130x) and although conditions were far from perfect the view was still quite impressive. Banding on Saturn and Cassini were easily visible and it had not even got all that dark yet.

Funny thing is, I found myself closing one eye at times from force of habit. That is a habit I will soon lose.

I had the OCS screwed directly into the diagonal body closest to the mirror with the diagonal tube screwed into the OCS. This was where I found out that I need to be sure that the OCS is screwed on tight to prevent the weight of the binoviewers from unscrewing itself as it wanted to do at the beginning. I was using an alt-az tonight but my preferred mount with this scope is a CG4 and it is clear that I will have to use extreme caution when balancing that mount with the 27”s.

Next up as soon as the weather permits is my 10” dob and I can’t wait for that as it is probably the scope that I will use most often.
After that I will need to decide on other pairs. I really like the Sterling’s but there are other options out there to mull over.

BTW the weight of the binoviewers with everything but eyepieces is 2.2 lbs. Optically I have a lot more testing to do but I am really impressed with the overall quality of the various parts and how smoothly everything screws and unscrews from their respective positions in the optical train.
More to come

Eric

#2 swampdog

swampdog

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Not bad BV's Beatlejuice?!! I was fortunate to receive mine Monday, and have had them out 3 times including tonight...superb-just outstanding views were the reward. Very nice adjustment features, collimation, diopter, lock ring, interpupilary distance, power swith, super smooth. Telescope collimation remained dead on, no complaints at all with function of binos. I ordered super system w/45ocs, as I hope to get a "light bucket" in the future. As is, I use them just with the 2" nose into TV short diagonal & TV short adapter on the C6. On the 9.25, it's straight into a standard Stellarvue diagonal and clicklock VB. EP,s used have been UO orthos..16.8 and 24mm & Vixen npl plossls 25 and 30mm. I now know, that two are better than one, isn't far from the truth! Also I found that a non-illuminated cross hair eyepiece works great for checking/adj. bino collimation. All said..well worth the wait, and a "tip of the hat" to Russ at Denkmeier. Clear skies & enjoy!

#3 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Good news all around. I am planning on ordering mine sometime later next week.

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

...I had the OCS screwed directly into the diagonal body closest to the mirror with the diagonal tube screwed into the OCS. This was where I found out that I need to be sure that the OCS is screwed on tight to prevent the weight of the binoviewers from unscrewing itself as it wanted to do at the beginning. I was using an alt-az tonight but my preferred mount with this scope is a CG4 and it is clear that I will have to use extreme caution when balancing that mount with the 27”s.

Congrats Eric! One trick that you can use is to keep the binoviewers in the 12:30-1 o'clock position, or slightly rotated to the right of straight up. This way the weight of the binos will tighten the nosepiece attachment.

Another trick is to turn the binoviewers around 180 degrees so they are "backwards" in the diagonal - this moves more weight forward and helps prevent focuser sag in less robust setups.

#5 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Good points Johnny, Thanks

Eric

#6 jaws70

jaws70

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Got mine on Thursday and very happy so far. Nice construction and wonderful views. Even with less than optimal skies I am seeing more with the bino vs. mono view. Saturn, globs and even a few nebula all significantly better. Still waiting for a clear night... moon, slight haze and the Yankees have all been messing with my skies.

#7 Never2Busy4You

Never2Busy4You

Vostok 1

• Loc: Slower Lower Delaware U.S.A.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Eric,
I really enjoy my Binotron 27's as well!
As far as rotating worries, Denkmeier released a new IVB Diagonal that stops any accidental rotation the same time as the Binotron 27's that looks to be well thought out & well made.
It's parts mate together like toothed gears that keep it in whatever position you set it, but is easily adjusted if need be. Also the Binoviewer can mate directly to the diagonal with the dovetail adapter by removing the eyepiece barrel. This also makes the light path quite a bit shorter since your removing the length of the eyepiece barrel. I love this feature & have the same mating ability on my Denk R2 Diagonal, the binoviewer is very secure mounted this way.
Enjoy,
Jeffrey G.

#8 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

As far as rotating worries, Denkmeier released a new IVB Diagonal that stops any accidental rotation the same time as the Binotron 27's that looks to be well thought out & well made.

Thanks Jeffrey, I will have a look at that. Certainly sounds like a great accessory for this application.

Eric

#9 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Eric,
I really enjoy my Binotron 27's as well!
Jeffrey G.

So this diag is not the stock diag that comes with the SCT version?

#10 Never2Busy4You

Never2Busy4You

Vostok 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hey Qwickdraw,
I really can't comment as I'm not sure about the SCT package.
EDIT:
I just looked up the Binotron 27 SCT Supersystem on the Denkmeier web site and the IVB Diagonal is included in that package.

The IVB Diagonal is one of the next pieces of kit I'll be getting as it looks like a great solution to secure holding, or quick rotation into any position while holding the Binoviewer & Eyepieces all with a shorter light path when using the dovetail connection. I wish that package deal was available when I got my 27's it's great! :bawling:
Clear Skies,
Jeffrey G.

#11 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

The IVB Diagonal is one of the next pieces of kit I'll be getting

From the website it looks to me like the IVB diagonal is for SCT's only.

Eric

#12 Never2Busy4You

Never2Busy4You

Vostok 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

I know at the bottom of the page it said about using the diagonal with Refractors, but I don't know what that would entail.
Jeffrey G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics