Photo

Convert Burgess/WO/Celestron to use use T2 or ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I recently purchased a used Burgess binoviewer. It is designed for 1.25" use so uses a 1.25" nose.

I would like to couple this directly to a T2 diagonal or directly to a Diagonal body.

Any ideas on how to adapt the 26mm opening in the BO Binoviewer to T2 thread?

Another option would be to just have a coupler that is 26mm on the top, which would screw into the binoviewer, with a 32mm male thread on the bottom end that would thread directly into the top of my 1.25" mirror diagonal. I am not worried about being able to lock the diagonal for rotation with respect to the diagonal... I can put an O'ring between them for frictcion.

But I would very much like to couple the binoviewer directly to the diagonal. Using an inexpensive 1.25" mirror would be my first choice so the 26mm to 32mm connector or some kind of reducer ring system (as is often used for camera filters) would be the best solution.

Thanks!

#2 Never2Busy4You

Never2Busy4You

Vostok 1

• Loc: Slower Lower Delaware U.S.A.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Eddgie,
I think your easiest & best solution is a coupler/adapter but since there is no readily available part, you'll have to have a machine shop mill you the part per your specs, & this shouldn't be a problem.
To save a bit of cost, & some slight weight I would suggest having them make the part out of Delrin rather than Aluminum. It will be strong enough for your application, doesn't need to be anodized, & will be matte black.
I have both H-Alpha and Calc-K scopes & with the original designs of both, in order for some eyepieces to come to focus in Mono or Binoviewer use the diagonal had to be pulled out of the focuser draw tube about a 1/2".
I was really not happy about having the load of the Denk II's or the Binotron 27's with a pair of EP's & Power Switch hanging off the diagonal with only 1/2 of the diagonal's barrel being held.
I had 2 Delrin parts milled that would thread onto the focusers draw tube with a stop built on, they thread onto the existing draw tube once it's stop is removed, & give me an additional 1&1/10" of focuser out travel with the diagonal fully & firmly seated as it should be.

I really do like the ability to mate the Binoviewer's with the Dovetail Adapter Denkmeier makes, it is a very secure connection, & reduces the light path about 38mm with the eyepiece holder removed, but currently it only works in the 2" format. If you do have the adapter made up, I would be interested in getting one as well so please keep me in mind.
Good Luck & Clear Skies,
Jeffrey G.

#3 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but for the cost of these conversions you could have gotten a Maxbright and maintained compatability with all your MkV stuff... ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics