• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

My grab and go mount, an EQ-3, counter weight bolt plastic head is broken and it is hard to adjust. I went to the hardware store and bought an M6 thumb screw but it is threaded all the way down and will not work. Does anyone know where a replacement screw can be purchased, it has a few m6 threads and then is smooth all the way to the end. Thanks for the help!

#2 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Would it work if you just ground the threads off?

#3 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I had to make my own counter-weight bolt once. I went to the hardware store and bought threaded rod and a T-Handle. The T-Handle was a nut with the plastic T-Handle part around it. I measured and cut the threaded rod to the proper length then used blue locktite when I threaded it into the T-Handle to keep it from unthreading on me. On the other end I intended to put a dot of epoxy on the end to prevent marring of the counter-weight shaft but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

#4 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

I suspect grinding the threads off would work but it should not be that hard to find a replacement, then again, sometimes we run into these issues in our hobby. Thanks for input so far.

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Grinding can be done pretty accurately by chucking the bolt in a drill and spinning it agains the grinder's wheel, but many CWs have a short bit of smooth rod that goes in before the screw. I use mild steel welding rod to replace them. Comes in various diameters, less likely to mar the rod than harder stuff and I don't do that much stick welding anymore.

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

If you are anywhere near Bremerton give Tacoma Screw Products a try. They might have what you need.

#7 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I turned a slug for a CW bolt from Turcite rod. http://www.boedeker.com/turcax_p.htm Didn't attach the slug to the bolt, just put it in the hole between the bolt and CW. Self-lubricating Turcite, unlike Nylon or Delrin, gives very smooth adjustment.

Don Clement

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics