17 replies to this topic

#1 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hi, Folks.

I'm looking for a basic inexpensive laptop for image capturing via DSLR and BYEOS. As far as I know, Win7 is key. Reliability is also important. Cool finish, fancy screen, hologram projector, etc, not necessary.

Seeing it'll just be a dedicated image capturing device, are we talking Walmart here? Any products to avoid? Suggestions?

Thanks, Mike.

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

i'm using it on a 1.6ghz atom netbook with 1 gb of ram and windows XP and it runs great.

I think what is important about the OS is that Canon supports your specific camera on that OS with its drivers, i have a rebel XT so i have to use XP

#3 yepimanerd

yepimanerd

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tomball, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Being a Mac user, I've been considering picking up a cheap PC for roughly the same purpose. I'd probably add in processing as well. I'd be interested to know what the basic requirements are to run BYEOS & something like Registax.
If I ever find some free time, I'm going to troll the pawn shops & see if I can find a deal. Momma's not real happy right now with the hemmoraging of cash required for LE AP...

#4 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

For BYE an old 1 CPU laptop will do just fine. But, a dual core is even better as I do take advantage of dual CPU when available. Anything above 2 CPU is not necessarily useful for BYE.

2 GIGs of RAM would be the minimum IMO... but BYE will run with 1 GIG too.

Thank you

Guylain

#5 shrevestan

shrevestan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I use a $200 netbook with Win8 and it runs BYEOS and PHD with no problems.

#6 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

i'm using it on a 1.6ghz atom netbook with 1 gb of ram and windows XP and it runs great.

Same here (although I have 2 GB RAM). With a 6 cell battery it lasts most of the night. And I run PHD and power my guide cam with it at the same time.

#7 Toxic Coolaid

Toxic Coolaid

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorthEast Tennessee

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I got a used Win 7 for $75 off Craig's. Works great. XP is really all you need. One nice thing with Win 7 is that I can use Chrome Remote Desktop. With it I can watch and use my telescope's laptop from my laptop inside. This works as long as both computers are connected to the internet.

#8 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I use this..., partly because it fits in a camera bag.... Thx

#9 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I second the netbook route. I use an ASUS w/XP, the nice thing about it is that it can run off 12vdc.

#10 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

I use a Dell Inspiron Mini (Netbook) 1012 that I bought off of Craig's List. The previous owner upgraded it to 2GB RAM and he bought an extra battery that he never used and included in the deal. Pretty much a steal for $165. It has Windows 7 starter on it and runs BYE fine. The only problem I have had with Win7 starter, is that it does not support me remoting into it with remote desktop. I know I can get a 3rd party solution for remote access but it has not been a high priority for me yet.

#11 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Win7 is key

Win7 and USB2 ports are the key; although Win8 may work, there are hoops involved, plus I have seen issues with USB3 ports for guiding, etc. Regards

#12 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the replies thus far. May be picking up a used Dell Inspiron N7010. Not exactly small though. I3 CPU. 6GB ram.

#13 TimN

TimN

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

That sounds like an excellent machine, you could even do some processing on it. I use an old laptop but it runs windows 8. I have no problems with EQMOD, Cartes du Ciel, PHD etc. However, I don't use BackyardEOS because I have a Nikon, however, I think others have posted that they use it with Windows 8. However, I still use USB2 connections so I'm not sure that USB3 will work. The machine you mentioned sounds excellent, I just mentioned this stuff about windows 8 just to let you know not to turn something down just because windows 8 is on it.

#14 ontherivet

ontherivet

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Republic of Boulder, CO

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

in the event you want to attach a mount at some point you might try and find an older refurbished Dell on eBay that has both RS232 and USB. i think i have a D630 or some such model, works just fine and costs nothing.

#15 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

I used to have a 10in netbook but i hated it because of small keyboard which makes touch typing hard. I recently upgraded to dell 11.2in laptop with mobile i3 chip and it is great. It takes only 2amps from 12v battery. Make sure you buy power efficient model so your battery lasts longer.
www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-11z/pd
Alex

#16 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was more interested to see if someone chimed in and said "avoid this or that", and I'm glad that didn't happen.

I ended up with the Inspirion N7010. Prob didn't need the 17" screen but the price was decent. Haven't had a laptop in 10 years and the touch pad is definitely gonna take some getting used to again. I believe it has the 6 cell battery, which I think was an upgrade. The battery icon is draining rather quickly so perhaps it's just the base battery, or it's just the nature of the beast. Also, it's a little over 2 years old so maybe it's just tired. (ETA- Ok, it's just the base battery and likely tired. Hopefully there's a 12v solution.)

It should work just fine for what I need it to do.

Anyone know if this unit can be safely run off a 12v batt? I assume I need something like THIS?

#17 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

That will work. Also check your settings. There should be Power, Balanced and Performance or words to that effect on your power usage. Also I am not sure but the backlight of the screen can be dimmed, will that save power I do not know. I have a Toshiba Sat Pro that came with a 6 cell. That one last about 2 hrs using Performance and 3 hrs at the Power Miser setting. I bought a 9 cell from Toshiba on closeout a couple yrs ago and that one will last closer to 4.5 hrs. With the two fully charges that gives me a full night if I don't want to use a power brick/charger.
Pierre

#18 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, Pierre. I'll check the power settings later on today. If If the 12v car adapter doesn't do the trick, I'll have to spring for a new battery. $$$ ouch! From what I understand, my particular model doesn't like aftermarket batteries. Thanks, Dell! :thumbsdown:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics