Convince me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

So I've wrestled with this for a while. I don't buy or build computers just to have the latest and greatest gear. I have an XBOX so not a gamer in that sense

I've run 32bit computers for... (well lets say since the end of 16bit) a long time, and having just purchased a 64bit machine I'd like to know where the benefit is?

What programs that I would use in my daily life "need" 64bit? For that matter; are there any that "are" 64bit?
I know that PI has moved entirely to 64bit(pretty much the only reason I could use to justify the purchase) but PI has always been a total resource hog of a program that easily brought a 3Ghz Dual Core machine to it's knee's when registering a large stack.

So is PixInsight the only "Valid Reason" to have the more RAM that is available in the 64bit world? (aside from doing a 3x drizzle in DSS)

#2 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

With Win/64, all memory above 3.3gb will be recognized, not the case with Win/32 versions.

More and more PC's and laptops shipping with 4+ gb of RAM, it just makes sense to have a 64bit OS to "see" all the available ram. I have 8gb in my laptop, while it doesn't necessarily make the system faster, it does make running multiple applications much more smooth, and usable.

I think also that most PC makers are only shipping 64 bit Windows, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Andy

#3 Mittag56

Mittag56

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Memory recognition and processing speed...more usb 2 inputs vs usb 1 on older machines...most new ones have no serial output, you have to use an usb to serial converter....On the positive side i use win XP 1 gig processors with 100 gig hard drives...I have 2 of them and am not wanting for anything i need to do or have to control...new LX 200 and new Canon T4i camera...etc..it all works fine a pair of 100 dollar refurbished IBM laptops...and if i drop one spill my coffee...( twice now.. :confused:) its a cheap fix to do. Money i save gets more important toys.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

The fact is, as above, that it is really only necessary if you are using large amounts of memory...if you, for instance are doing image processing on big pictures and need lotsa ram. The bottom line, though, is that it's all pretty much 64 bit Windows now. Which is good, because things can now (I hope) settle down and standardize driver wise.

#5 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I now run 16GB of ram on my laptop of all things; just because of Aperture and photo processing. That just eats memory for breakfast. I think I'd put in more if I could. :)

Most folks have no need for lots of memory but frankly, newer OS's with all the eye candy and some programs are written for 64bit and at some point that will be all you can get. Until 128bit comes out.

I think memory demands will drive 128bit computers but I think it will be a long time before that happens. I hope. I never thought I'd see the day were 16GB in a laptop was not shocking. :p

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

16GB in a laptop was not shocking. :p

16GB? Hell, I still can't believe we need more than the good old 640K. :lol:

#7 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

I said I don't

buy or build computers just to have the latest and greatest

I didn't say I don't have several! :lol:

Pretty much, every computer I have includes a RS232 COM port and since Panasonic ceased production of the CF-7X series; I have not been very inclined to computer purchases. I looked at i7 machines but again looked at the value compared to the cost. Couldn't justify the cost. Have not been overly pleased with the MSI board in my desktop so before I build another one of them; I got more research to do.

What I did get was a cute little tablet :) It's a CF-C1 Business Ruggedized, Toughbook 2.4Ghz(up to 2.93Ghz with Turbo Boost) i5. Win7 Pro 64bit.

http://www.ruggedpcr...nasonic_c1.html

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I said I don't

Didn't say you did, muchacho.....or did you actually intend to reply to somebody other than me? ;)

#9 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

I said I don't

Didn't say you did, muchacho.....or did you actually intend to reply to somebody other than me? ;)

No No, I was "laughing at myself"... It was just meant in general

As for convincing me... well that little tablet did that last night. I installed PixInsight 64bit. Ran a stack of 25 DSLR sub's through the batch preprocessing routine, including the Registration and Integration routines and it completed the process with no tweaking to make it easier on the computer. Same amount of RAM as my 32 bit machines that would have stopped dead with "out of memory"! It slowed down pretty good towards the end, but pushed through...

#10 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

It was a long time before I first broke away from my old single core CPUs and ran a 64bit version of Windows. (I'd tried WinXP 64 but it was too flaky and unsupported.)

All of the newer PCs I run are low-power-consumption Intel Atom mini-ITX boards, and they easily do everything I need them to. I recently converted the last of them running Windows from XP to Win7. These little 1.6 and 1.8 GHz CPUs definitely shine even brighter under Win7.

If you have any multicore CPUs, I definitely recommend Win7 over XP. I stayed with XP until almost the bitter end, but once I got used to Win7 (and it didn't take long!) there was no going back. I still have an old IBM StinkPad G40 with a 3.x GHz P4 CPU running XP, but, for anything really demanding, I use the 1.6/1.8 GHz multicore Win7 PCs.

Also, there are several manufacturers who make reasonably priced custom mini-ITX boards in many configurations. Some offer up to 12 real (DB9) serial COM ports, but they can and do mix-and-match for just about any purpose.

#11 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Pretty much besides my PM 760 2Ghz cf-73's, everything I own is a dual core.
E8400 3Ghz desktop
Centrino Duo laptops X 4

I tried Win7 Ultimate 64bit on one of my Centrino Duo's but;
1. it was too quirky with hibernation. I'm pretty sure it was a lack of 64bit support for the chipset
2. every time I opened a larger folder it would take a while to perform some scan(that resembled a search with a progress bar accross the address bar) to determine what was there. If opened using explorer it didn't do that.

I certainly don't encounter anything like that with this tablet(but of course all of its hardware is supported under 64bit).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics