• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

Vendor - Earthwin Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I just couldn't see spending anywhere from $150 - $250 for a fancy pier adapter plate for the sake of looking pretty. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the legs from the tripod, $12 worth of hardware and a little bit of sweat in the garage. It ain't pretty but it's always dark when I use it.

Attached Files

#2 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Looks great!
What is it?
I have been tryng to figure out a diy solution for mine.

#3 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's the mount base at the top of the tripod. Remove the tripod legs and you have an adapter plate.

#4 cguvn

cguvn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

superb I was wondering if it was possible great idea.. I imagine it is just as easy to reassemble if you want to be mobile again

#5 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yup! Only 3 nuts and bolts.

Happy..Happy..Happy!

#6 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western NH

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Here is mine that I made for 6" well casing to fit my LXD55 mount
Norm

Attached Files

#7 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

It's the mount base at the top of the tripod. Remove the tripod legs and you have an adapter plate.

Ahh, great idea, unfortunately I did not get a tripod with mine

#8 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

How are you bolting the tripod head to the top of the plate?

Also, I have read a few places that you want to have your leveling bolts be as short as possible. You hade a really sturdy pier. And then at the top of it the only thing supporting the mount for 6 inches or so( guessing from your picture) is a couple of bolts. The bolts are long and spindly, at least compared to the pier, so using as little length as possible would be prudent I think.

That being said, this is a fantastic idea. I literally face palmed myself when I saw this. A couple of brackets to hold down the head and you are golden, what genius! One could even get a spare tripod used for least than the cost of a pier plate.

Mike

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

How did you drill the steel? The only thing my neighbor and I don't have is a drill press.

I did something very similar out of wood. A 12" stool seat makes a great pier plate.

#10 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

The tripod and mount are bolted with a 12-60 metric bolt with the shoulder ground down to emulate the bolt included with the tripod. This is because the bolt has to thread through the tripod head and then through the mount base so the bolt can turn freely inside the tripod head. Tightening from under the top plate locks every thing in place(this emulates being tightened from under the spreader plate). The four 3-1/2", 3/8" leveling/support bolts pull the top plate down on the 1" steel pipe. The leveling washers not only level, but make up for my obvious inaccuracies in trying to cut the pipe to equal lengths of 3". I can't cut a straight line if my life depended on it, but I do the best I can with what I've got. Nothing spindly about it. You also need the room in order to work the bolt into the bottom of the mount. As well... the four support bolts are threaded into tapped holes eliminating the need to use nuts underneath the bottom plate.

Attached Files

#11 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

The stool seat sounds like a cool idea!

I'm lucky enough to have a bench-top drill press. Good thing 'cause I can't drill a straight hole either.

#12 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I didn't notice the pipes before, you're right, not spindly at all, looks pretty sturdy.

Do you have anything to keep the tripod base from spinning on that metal plate? I have the pier adapter, and it spins easily in top of the tripod. Just curious if you encounter that same kind of problem or not.

Mike

#13 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I knew you were going to ask that. By design, I intended to have a 5/16" pin tapped into the top plate that the tripod head would sit down on where the threaded hole is opposite the adjustment post. As usual with me and Murphy's law, when I was tapping the hole for the 5/16 bolt I was going to use for the pin (with the hex head removed of course), my tap broke when it was almost all the way through. For a few minutes the air around me was Meade blue. It is locked in pretty good with not enough of it to grab with the vice grips to turn back out. I don't have a hard enough drill bit to drill out a tap so I ended up grinding it even with the plate and painting over it. If I need to lock down the head until I get my polar alignment, I can think of a dozen ways to do that. Let's face it...once polar aligned on the pier, the head and will be tightened down with the centre bolt and nothing is going to move.

#14 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Mayslick KY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I must admit that in planning my wooden pier I thought of using the tripod head as the adapter for the top of the pier but I just couldn't think of a way to hold the darn thing in place. Your solution is both elegant and pure genius :bow:. That pier looks good too. Did you build that or buy it?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics