Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Some will say yes, some will say no. I guess the real question is why do you want to change? Because you want a shiny new telescope? The optical coatings have improved since then, some people say it amounts to a 10-15% improvement in contrast. Your mirrors are probably getting old(er) and may need a re-coat. Do they look bad or have mold issues?

If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it unless you're itching for a bigger scope or want something like Autostar (you could get that by just upgrading to an EQ mount too).

I had an older 10" SCT f/6.3 for awhile and loved it. I wish I hadn't sold it to be honest. I recently purchased a 12" LX200 classic that works great.

Clear skies :)

#3 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

it is an 8-inch f/10, was sold in epoch without tripe, I miss a motorized mentagem with goto, and now would like to have a 10 inch. If there was an improvement in the optical quality of the Meade, I think it will be worth

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

A new one is gonna be... new :) so optically it should be better. I guess if you want a bigger scope... just get one!

The other options that can make a difference is the EDGE/ACF scopes. ACF is meade's 'flat field' scopes that supposed require little/no correction. That would make a significant improvement in your observing.

#5 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

The way things are with Meade at the moment I'd be avoiding buying anything with that badge on it .

Your brand loyalty will count for nothing if or when a problem arises and there is no-one there to honour a guarantee ( Q.C. issues of late are the main reason they are in the you know what I'm told)

Would recommend a C11.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

The newer--1990s and later--Meades are better. The coatings are better, and, quite often, the optics are better, too.

#7 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

Stay away from the LX80. As a matter of fact, until Meade's troubles are sorted out, I would be cautious about buying ANY new Meade scope. Hate to say that, but there it is. :(

#9 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I also thought about it but a C11 is still expensive for me, will be the quality of meade'll be compromised? if I have any probema both the celestron or meade to not have to send back for technical assistance unless I regress the opening and buy a celestron edgeHD 8 inches, but I want an opening above 8 inches.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

#11 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Try and find a used Meade 10in SCT. You can get the OTA and mount it to a Celestron goto mount. There isn't much to break in an OTA... of either brand Meade or Celestron.

#12 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like a good choice, it is a pity that the LX80 is presenting many problems, but thank you all for the help

#13 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!
If I could afford one I'd buy it in a second!

#14 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yup! me too! Cept I'd get the 14" 850 :grin:
Unk has a point though, the future of the company is kinda up in the air right now. There could be a risk if you need a warranty issue resolved.

#15 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

If I lived in the U.S. I would buy the LX80, for him to report problems I send for repair, but as I live in Brazil is much more difficult

#16 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!

Negative. At this stage of the game, a few more or a few less sales will have no effect on Meade's fate. I am sorry to say that, but that is the way it is. That is the place they are in now.

MY responsibilities, my prime responsibilities as I see 'em are to my fellow amateurs. I cannot and will not sit by while some one gets themselves into trouble equipment-wise to the tune of substantial $$$.

Meade is not Ford or Chevy, my friend. Neither of them were facing a buy out or a breakup. Meade is, and that is the difference. Sorry. :bawling:

Besides, as I've said before, much as we love CN, it is only known to a small percentage of Meade's customers, anyway. ;)

#17 magnus

magnus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Very true, uncle Rod, you can`t ( or anyone else for that matter ) take responsability for anything else than honest scope advices to fellow amateurs!

Magnus 57N.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics