CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between SCT Meade old standard 1980 for

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Some will say yes, some will say no. I guess the real question is why do you want to change? Because you want a shiny new telescope? The optical coatings have improved since then, some people say it amounts to a 10-15% improvement in contrast. Your mirrors are probably getting old(er) and may need a re-coat. Do they look bad or have mold issues?

If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it unless you're itching for a bigger scope or want something like Autostar (you could get that by just upgrading to an EQ mount too).

I had an older 10" SCT f/6.3 for awhile and loved it. I wish I hadn't sold it to be honest. I recently purchased a 12" LX200 classic that works great.

Clear skies :)

#3 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

it is an 8-inch f/10, was sold in epoch without tripe, I miss a motorized mentagem with goto, and now would like to have a 10 inch. If there was an improvement in the optical quality of the Meade, I think it will be worth

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

A new one is gonna be... new :) so optically it should be better. I guess if you want a bigger scope... just get one!

The other options that can make a difference is the EDGE/ACF scopes. ACF is meade's 'flat field' scopes that supposed require little/no correction. That would make a significant improvement in your observing.

#5 steveward53

steveward53

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

The way things are with Meade at the moment I'd be avoiding buying anything with that badge on it .

Your brand loyalty will count for nothing if or when a problem arises and there is no-one there to honour a guarantee ( Q.C. issues of late are the main reason they are in the you know what I'm told)

Would recommend a C11.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil and I have a Meade SCT model in 2080, I believe it to be of 1980-1986, I am wanting to change my meade telescope on the other, there is a difference between the optical performance (image quality) before with today?

The newer--1990s and later--Meades are better. The coatings are better, and, quite often, the optics are better, too.

#7 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I even buy a Celestron, but as I want an opening of at least 10 inches and I only have $ 2150.00, I think the LX80 would be the best cost benefit.

Stay away from the LX80. As a matter of fact, until Meade's troubles are sorted out, I would be cautious about buying ANY new Meade scope. Hate to say that, but there it is. :(

#9 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I also thought about it but a C11 is still expensive for me, will be the quality of meade'll be compromised? if I have any probema both the celestron or meade to not have to send back for technical assistance unless I regress the opening and buy a celestron edgeHD 8 inches, but I want an opening above 8 inches.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

#11 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Try and find a used Meade 10in SCT. You can get the OTA and mount it to a Celestron goto mount. There isn't much to break in an OTA... of either brand Meade or Celestron.

#12 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like a good choice, it is a pity that the LX80 is presenting many problems, but thank you all for the help

#13 orion61

orion61

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't know how to make it much clearer:

Meade is in financial difficulties at the present time. It would be wise to wait until they are out of these financial difficulties before buying a new scope from them.

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!
If I could afford one I'd buy it in a second!

#14 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yup! me too! Cept I'd get the 14" 850 :grin:
Unk has a point though, the future of the company is kinda up in the air right now. There could be a risk if you need a warranty issue resolved.

#15 Eudson

Eudson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

If I lived in the U.S. I would buy the LX80, for him to report problems I send for repair, but as I live in Brazil is much more difficult

#16 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Rod I hope you realize the impact of your advise your giving out. With your status in the group it carries a lot of weight
If everybody does that, you can be assured Meade will fail!
Did everyone quit buying Chevys/Dodges when they were looking for a bailout?... I'd say now is the PERFECT time to get a great deal..
I have had my hands on a new Meade 650 10" and it was the finest CAT I have ever touched as a system.
Optically the Stellar images were as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Mechanically it felt precisely made, and was quite smooth. It FELT like it was a finely crafted piece of Scientific Equipment.
My first impression was " This is the finest system Meade has ever produced"!

Negative. At this stage of the game, a few more or a few less sales will have no effect on Meade's fate. I am sorry to say that, but that is the way it is. That is the place they are in now.

MY responsibilities, my prime responsibilities as I see 'em are to my fellow amateurs. I cannot and will not sit by while some one gets themselves into trouble equipment-wise to the tune of substantial $$$.

Meade is not Ford or Chevy, my friend. Neither of them were facing a buy out or a breakup. Meade is, and that is the difference. Sorry. :bawling:

Besides, as I've said before, much as we love CN, it is only known to a small percentage of Meade's customers, anyway. ;)

#17 magnus

magnus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Very true, uncle Rod, you can`t ( or anyone else for that matter ) take responsability for anything else than honest scope advices to fellow amateurs!

Magnus 57N.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics