Photo

Suggest a Case for a 180mm Mak with Focuser....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi, what do you guys use? I bought a tool chest at Home Depot but returned it b/c it was soooo big. Anyone using a premade/inexpensive case?
I could also make one from plywood, but since I'll be keeping it stored in a unheated detached garage, it needs to be well sealed, to also hold desiccant packs. thanks for your suggestions....
Bob

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

What about the one Orion sells for their 180mm Mak? It does cost $70 so it isn't especially cheap, but it is lightweight and airline portable. I use it with my 6" Mak.

#3 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

I considered something like this for my AT8RC with foam from a craft store. Certainly less expensive although not as durable as a Pelican case, but still airtight and dust proof.

#4 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

What about the one Orion sells for their 180mm Mak? It does cost $70 so it isn't especially cheap, but it is lightweight and airline portable. I use it with my 6" Mak.

Isn't that soft sided? I would worry about that because when I transport in the back of my car, the mount is back there and chair and etc, and I don't want it to be dented.
Also, since I'll be storing it outside in a detached garage, I'd like to have something weatherproof/humidity proof....
I've also put on a moonlite focuser, so its a bit too long now for that case (I think)
thanks
Bob

#5 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

I considered something like this for my AT8RC with foam from a craft store. Certainly less expensive although not as durable as a Pelican case, but still airtight and dust proof.

that's close, but I need 30" long. I have that focuser on there and with an inch on each side, it's getting pretty long. I'll have to see what else Amazon has....Thanks for the link.
bob

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes the Orion case is soft sided. I just transport it in my back seat and seatbelt it in. One of my motivations for getting the scope and case is it will fit between to car seats.

I agree though if you are going to permanently store it in unheated garage you may want something more airtight. And it probably wouldn't accommodate the moonlight.

#7 iluxo

iluxo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

The Orion case is too short for the Synta (Orion/Skywatcher) 180mm Mak - I bought one before. Trying to fit mine in, the focusser is jammed up the end and will be bent if it is knocked. There's no room for padding to protect this, unfortunately.

#8 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

that's close, but I need 30" long. I have that focuser on there and with an inch on each side, it's getting pretty long. I'll have to see what else Amazon has....Thanks for the link.

Check out Walmart too, they may have one long and deep enough. Good luck! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics